• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Borat: Cultural Learnings of America For Make...

Re: Borat: Cultural Learnings of America For Make.

Yep... I can't take much of the Daily Show, either. :)

I've always liked :cool: The Daily Show and have always found it funny. :) To each his own, huh?

To each his own, huh?

Exactly. GKE, you seem to be missing an acknowledgement that appreciation of comedy, like every other creative endeavour is an entirely subjective thing.

Cruelty based comedy leaves me cold ... the only 'uncomfortable' comedy I have ever really got into was Fawlty Towers, which was a work of genius. Personally, I have a sneaky appreciation for the comedy of the absurd, allied with observation, wit and wordplay.

Monty Python and Eddie Izzard are Gods ... in other words.

Doesn't make me wrong and you right, or vice versa. Just means we like different stuff ... just as it should be.

:D

Borat was most definitely the funniest and most brilliant movie I've seen in a while. His improvisational satire is amazing.

GKE, you seem to be missing an acknowledgement that appreciation of comedy, like every other creative endeavour is an entirely subjective thing.

Hardly. I just don't feel it necessary to follow every statement with IMHO, IMO, for me, blah blah blah.

I'm a Monty Python fan.

Eddie Izzard is clever but I rarely find him that funny.

I read all the Oscar Wilde and saw all the Monty Python and Dennis Miller and all the "clever," "witty" stuff and while it can be impressive, it's not as funny as a guy getting hit in the nuts with a rock. At this point I'll take Jackass over Voltaire any day.

Somehow, I think you'll like this, old Mighty:

Frat boys sue 'Borat'

SANTA MONICA, Calif. -- Two unsuspecting fraternity boys want to make lawsuit against "Borat" over their drunken appearance in the hit movie.

The legal action filed Thursday on their behalf claims they were duped into appearing in the spoof documentary "Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan," in which they made racist and sexist comments on camera.

The young men "engaged in behavior that they otherwise would not have engaged in," the lawsuit says.

"Borat" follows the adventures of comedian Sacha Baron Cohen's Kazakh journalist character in a blend of fiction and improvised comic encounters as he travels across the United States and mocks Americans.

The plaintiffs were not named in the lawsuit "to protect themselves from any additional and unnecessary embarrassment." They were identified in the movie as fraternity members from a South Carolina university, and appeared drunk as they made insulting comments about women and minorities to Cohen's character.

The lawsuit claims that in October 2005, a production crew took the students to a bar to drink and "loosen up" before participating in what they were told would be a documentary to be shown outside of the United States.

"They were induced to agree to participate and were told the name of the fraternity and the name of their school wouldn't be used," said the plaintiffs' attorney, Olivier Taillieu. "They were put into an RV and were made to believe they were picking up Borat the hitchhiker."

After a bout of heavy drinking, the plaintiffs signed a release form they were told "had something to do with reliability issues with being in the RV," Taillieu said.

And it goes on with the lawyer talk from there.

Re: Borat: Cultural Learnings of A

Yeah, read about that :)

Hyp, you should check out that scene. I'm sure you'd find those young gentlemen quite charming.

Re: Borat: Cultural Learnings of A

:LOL:

That tells me probably more than I need to know. :p

This is one I'll wait for on DVD, then I probably will rent it. I'll be sure to look for the scene with the gentlemen. :)

Is it possible to win a lawsuit over a release form they signed but didn't take responsibility to read for themselves?

Well, read that last sentence. They were drunk when they signed (alcohol provided by the party they were suing) and claim that the release was not for something they did.

Also some woman claims she lost her job because of it- I think it was over the scene where he appears at a (real) local news program. The woman who booked him of course didn't know what he really was about and her bosses lost confidence in her ability to do her job and eventually canned her.

Yea, if they really didn't know what they were signing, and can prove it, I'd say some of the profits in this movie will be paid over to lawsuits and lawyers.

Wow, that's sad. But, it sounds like they might have pushed the law more than a bit with some of this.

These aren't characters, they are real people. I know that's the source of the humor, but ....

eh, it's just interesting to hear people's opinions about it. :)

God I hope he makes a Brüno movie though. I'd *love* to see the outrage happen here :D

It seems you get your wish. It has been in the news that he has signed to do a film starring Bruno!

Hah. I KNEW it.

We already have news articles all over the place about how horrible Cohen is going to damage Austria's reputation with his next film.

.. it was, of course, horribly funny when it was Kazakhstan :D

Bloody hypocrites :D

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back