• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Live Free Or Die Hard

GKarsEye

Regular
Saw the new one last night.
For anyone considering it- it's pretty basic formulaic by the numbers action plot. The CGI is pretty impressive, the action itself is completely absurd, the buddy formula (with the Mac guy) and dialogue are cookie-cutter. But it's fun if you like Bruce Willis and want the nostalgia of remember how awesome the original was.

The plot is completely retarded: the sheriff from Deadwood cyber-terrorises the country to prove that our computers are vulnerable to cyber-terrorism. Right.

Also Kevin Smith plays a silly hacker.

It was fun, but rushed to release. I stopped counting the audio mis-cues and bad dubbing at somewhere around 234,957.

The CGI wasn't bad, but if you want truly great CGI, go watch Transformers.

It was fun to see in the theater, as it's a typical summer blockbuster action flick... but if you're not into that, then wait for the DVD.

Transformers, on the other hand... well, get your asses to the theater.

Transformers, on the other hand... well, get your asses to the theater.

Amen Brother! Saw it and loved it.
But I also liked Die Hard, it was just a fun popcorn movie but I also noticed the dubbing and wonder if it was because the language they originally used would have made it R. I think they went for the PG-13 to try and bring in a wider audience.

I'd be more likely to go see it if if was called Live Hard and Die Free.

I couldn't stand the Transformers trailers, but a friend went to see it, and said it wasn't nearly as bad as he expected. I have a general rule, Never go to a movie based on toys, or video games. If I added or comic books, or sequels, there wouldn't be much left to watch... :eek::D

It was decent enough. Definitely not as good as the previous films (with the exception of Die Hard 2), but it was entertaining enough. John McClane beating the piss out of a kung fu biatch = awesome.

However, the PG-13 rating was pure b.s. Die Hard is inherently R-rated. The studio execs who decided to make it PG-13 should be shot.

Amen Brother! Saw it and loved it.
But I also liked Die Hard, it was just a fun popcorn movie but I also noticed the dubbing and wonder if it was because the language they originally used would have made it R. I think they went for the PG-13 to try and bring in a wider audience.

I'm just wondering, reading your statement, when exactly the PG-13 rating was invented. Isn't it relatively new, and the original Die Hard is decades old?

Anyhow, I could be wrong, but I am not sure that rating existed back in Die Hard's days.

In the UK they have put Transformers back to gove McLean and Potter a clear runh.

Not impressed.

but I am not sure that rating existed back in Die Hard's days

The PG-13 rating was created back in '84 and I think the first movie to get that rating was the Swayze/Howell/Sheen teen action movie Red Dawn. The original Die Hard came out in '88. Some movies, like the original Die Hard would have sucked as a PG-13 movie.

What I don't understand is why film classifications are set in stone. There are some 18 certificate films that by modern sensibilities are tame enough in the UK to be reclassified as 15 certificates.

I never thought about that. Once categorized, no one ever goes back to look at the rating again, do they?

Yet if it were to be "reedited", wouldn't they have to reevaluate the rating it was given?

It was a movie with some great action scenes seperated by an attempt at a story. It mixed the post-9/11 (god, I thought I'd never use that phrase) notion of "America's might is bad, it will be knocked down" with the early '90s fear of technlogy into a ludricious story.

But the action was fun, and the film was watchable. So it's good if you're in the mood for that.

But I couldn't take Mr Campo. the evil guy seriously. Might said he was in Deadwood, I didn't know that. But he was in Broken Hearts Club (gay movie) and he's just as gay in this to be honest.

Timothy Olyphant (actor that played the villain) is, in everything I've seen him in, doing that teeth-clenching wanna-be Clint Eastwood INTENSE thing. In Deadwood it works because he plays a narrow but exaggerated version of Seth Bullock. In The Girl Next Door, it worked because it was used in a comedic context, as Kim Bauer's pimp/manager. But then since that movie features Kim Bauer half-naked a lot, it could have had Sylvester Stallone doing Hamlet and I'd have loved it.

Back