• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

PARALLEL UNIVERSE?

superbob

Regular
Greetings People

Question time. Have any of you read the novels by Gareth Williams "A dark, distorted mirror"? If so what did you think about it?

------------------
"I am Grey. I stand between the candle and the star. We are Grey. We stand between the darkness and the light. I come to take the place that has been prepared for me"

I started to read it a while ago but things got a bit too complicated for me.
blush.gif

And it was too long, I didn't have the time to really concentrate or think about what I was reading. Looked interesting, though.
smile.gif

BTW, don't be surprised if this gets booted into the Fandom, Fun & Fanfic forum...
wink.gif

------------------
"Narns, Humans, Centauri... we all do what we do for the same reason: because it seems like a good idea at the time." - G'Kar, Mind War
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com

damn. I was hoping to get someone elses point of view that had read it. Do yourself a favour and read it. It's a very cool what if scenario.
As for this being delegated to the other forum, oh well! webmasters perogative I suppose!
crazy.gif

------------------
"I am Grey. I stand between the candle and the star. We are Grey. We stand between the darkness and the light. I come to take the place that has been prepared for me"

I've read everything that's been published of the story so far, and I have to admit Williams is talented.

I'm not sure if it's a stylistic thing, or if it's just that I'm not used to reading such long pieces online, but it seemed that the buildup to the major events was either way too subtle, or way too short. It seemed that as I read, I'd stumble into a major engagement or a major character confrontation and not realize the scope of the event.

His storytelling is good, but soem of the inclusions seemed forced and a contrived. I suppose it was bound to happen in an effort to include everything he could from the canon works, but sometimes I think it goes to far.

If you're a fan of Babylon 5, then the events in "A Dark Distorted Mirror" are plausible and enjoyable to read, if taken with a grain of salt.

Willaims also wrote an Ep. of the Virtual Season Six, which I'm currently reading through now. It's not bad. It's not JMS, but the various authors do a good job of representing logical progressions and advances in the B5 timeline. I'm interested to see hoe far they intend to go.

More comments?

Radar

------------------
"The avalanche has already begun. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."

Where does one find the Virtual Season Six?

------------------
I always seem to be diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Actually I would say non-B5 books, tv, and movies would be the appropriate forum.

I haven't read the book so I can't help you.

------------------
"Crying isn't gonna get your dog back. Unless your tears smell like dog food. So you can sit here eating can after can of dog food until your tears smell like dog food or you can go out there and find your dog."-Homer in The Canine Mutiny

Sinoval was mentioned in Babylon 5.

Sinoval was a Minbari fleet commander who had sworn that he'd rather die than leave Dukhat unavenged. He committed suicide after the Grey Council stopped the war. If memory serves, Sinoval's second in command was Kalain and his ship was warcruiser Trigati.

------------------
"We are the universe, trying to figure itself out.
Unfortunately we as software lack any coherent documentation."
-- Delenn

As for the story... I have gradually read most of the published chapters. Started in April, continued in July, found a few new chapters in October.

It is difficult to read works of this length on a computer screen. Some chapters I loved, some I hated and some seemed not interesting. As a whole it is a most commendable acievement. Truly dark and distorted, but interesting nevertheless.

And a matter of taste, like everything else.

[This message has been edited by Lennier (edited December 10, 2001).]

Yeah, Sinoval was mentioned briefly. It's cool that the writer of the parallel universe story took that minor detail and used that as an opportunity to create his own character from scratch.

I also like all the Minbari Warrior Caste stuff. They're much more interesting than that boring religious caste.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

Radar you have definitely got my attention. Where is this virtual episode six.
The problem down this end of the world is finding material on B5. The market is severly limited in South Africa and as a result desperation sets in. Amazon is an option and although it isn't all that expensive in itself, shipping costs import duties. They all add up and the current exchange rate is heartbreaking!

------------------

I enjoyed it. The best thing about it was the character of Sinoval, who's not in the B5 canon. This story is a lot darker than B5. It's fun.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

What I have read so far(which is about a half) I have enjoyed despite the mental confusion on my part.(no wise cracks) I must check out the virtual 6th season, because I do enjoy his writing!

------------------
"...abso-FRAGGIN-lutely, damn it! I have been studying your use of lauguage since our last discussion. Do you approve?"

[This message has been edited by FlarnChef (edited December 11, 2001).]

Thanks a million Radar.
The problem, however, is that here in South Africa we're only halfway through season 4, no mention is made of season five!
Talk about sadistic!
I suppose I'll have yo hold onto this as a kind of dessert!
Thanks again!

------------------

Back