• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Places where B5 is mentioned

Parun

So, have you people realised when watching some non-B5-TV-shows or listening to some music etc. the mentioning of Babylon 5. I mean in places where it really doesn't matter which "dork"- or Sci-Fi show is mentioned, where it should be much more logical when they would mention Star Trek or Star Wars. I think this is just cool, this shows for me that B5 is more than just a little cult-show. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Ok, the places I've seen it:

- Bloodhoun Gang "The Bad Touch" -> ...B-5 you sunk my battleship...

- in an episode of the sitcom called King of Queens, where someone's collecting something like B5 plates

- my English coursebook (it's a book printed in England for immigrants named Enterprise 4). Next to a picture of James Bond and a love story is a picture of Delenn with Babylon 5 and it askes what the stories behind the pictures could be about and what the title could be.

Have you seen something like this somewhere?

I recall having heard two references to Babylon 5 on other TV shows.

The first was damn funny - during Buffy the Vampire Slayer, I believe in the fifth season, Xander is moving out of his basement and warns someone helping him to be "very careful with that box... its got my prized Babylon 5 collectors plates!" in it.

The second was the Space Ghost: Coast to Coast episode which guest starred Bill Mumy and Mark Hamill. Space Ghost at one points says to Zorak and Moltar, "What has Bill Mumy ever done worthwhile?"

Outraged, Moltar and Zorak (portrayed as big sci-fi fans) yell back at him in outrage, "Oh, only Babylon 5!"

I'm fairly sure I've seen it mentioned a few other places, but I can't recall where. I'd love to see a scene in Jeremiah where Kurdy and Jeremiah talk about a show they saw as youngsters called Babylon 5 before the "big death". JMS could pull it off an have it be amusing and a tribute, if he hadn't already done it with Star Wars.

-Tim

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
- Bloodhound Gang "The Bad Touch" -> ...B-5 you sunk my battleship...

[/quote]

Unless there's something in the context you didn't mention, I don't that's a reference to Babylon 5. It's a reference to the boardgame "Battleship" - where you try to guess the location of your enemy's fleet on a grid labeled with letters and numbers - so that every square has coordinates like L-9, C-15, and B-5. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif If you guess enough coordinates right, you score enough hits to sink a given ship. (1 or two hits for a submarine or a destroyer, if memory serves, five for a battleship.)

The Drew Cary Show mention B5 from time to time. One of the characters is a B5 fan andneven went to a B5 convention, dressed as a Narn, if memory serves. (A damned convincing Narn, too. Not surprising, since he was wearing real Narn prosthetics provided by Optic Nerve. DC is also produced by Warner Bros., so when they asked for the makeup, and Babylonian said, "OK", there were no corporate spoil-sports to nix the idea.)

Regards,

Joe

I saw an episode of Ellen where a guest at a dinner party turned up in full alien make-up and said something like, "Oh, I'm shooting an episode of Babylon 5 and I may get called back for more shots later."

Didn't recognise the make-up so Iguess it was a crowd scene in the Zocalo /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Wasn't there another Buffy mention about B5 ... something about the books?

Also, there is a mention in the Amazing Spider-man comics that JMS is writing. I don't have the exact quote here but I think it had something to do with waiting 5 years for a payoff.

Then again, it could just be the drugs talking. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Good topic.

I remember the plates one in Buffy.... and I do also seem to remember a 2nd reference, but can't remember it.

I believe it was mentioned in the TV show over here called Spaced. Someone wants to get fired, and insults B5 as the boss is a big fan or something.

Yeah Anthony that's exactly what happened. It was a running gag that starts of with Tim getting fired from Bilbo Bagbonce's shop for telling a kid customer that Jar Jar is rubbish (Hurrah!) Then you get the scene you just mentioned, followed by the explanation of why Tim's replacement was sacked (thinking Hawk the Slayer was rubbish... never seen it myself).

Back to Battleships, you know they have a Star Wars version of Battleships somewhere, would anyone like a B5 edition. Only problem is if you allow the first ones, you won't be able to fit a Vorlon planet killer on the board. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You could start of with a basic pack of say the Earth Minbari War, and then you could get expansion packs with
Narn, Centauri, League ships and even White Stars'.

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I really don't think The Amazing Spiderman counts, given the JMS wrote it. I think we're looking for mentions by people not connected to the show - to valdidate our obession, I guess, and prove that people who aren't hard-core fans are at least aware of the show. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif (Heck, if you count JMS references, there was a least one on some animated show he worked on before B5 was even sold. He had some character refer to being born on Babylon 5 - strictly a throw-away line, but the first documented use of the name, years before the series would get going.)

Regards,

Joe

The other Buffy reference is in the latter half of season six, where the Trio are arguing about one of them highlighting another's Babylon 5 novels.

where the Trio are arguing about one of them highlighting another's Babylon 5 novels.

[/quote]

KoshN is a regular on Buffy?

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Joe

FlipperPA:
The first was damn funny - during Buffy the Vampire Slayer, I believe in the fifth season, Xander is moving out of his basement and warns someone helping him to be "very careful with that box... its got my prized Babylon 5 collectors plates!" in it.

[/quote]

Yeah, I remember thatone now too.

Joseph DeMartino:
Unless there's something in the context you didn't mention, I don't that's a reference to Babylon 5. It's a reference to the boardgame "Battleship" - where you try to guess the location of your enemy's fleet on a grid labeled with letters and numbers - so that every square has coordinates like L-9, C-15, and B-5.

[/quote]

Now that you say it, it sounds kind of very logical. There were just some other names of TV-shows mentioned in that song, but your explanation is really better.
AntonyF:
Good topic.

[/quote]

Well, thank you! It's my first topic getting more answers than just 2 or 3 and I'm so happy about it! I just want to scream: Trilla-tralla-trullala!!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JoeD said:
Unless there's something in the context you didn't mention, I don't that's a reference to Babylon 5. It's a reference to the boardgame "Battleship" - where you try to guess the location of your enemy's fleet on a grid labeled with letters and numbers - so that every square has coordinates like L-9, C-15, and B-5. If you guess enough coordinates right, you score enough hits to sink a given ship. (1 or two hits for a submarine or a destroyer, if memory serves, five for a battleship.)

I reply:
Wow, something I know that Joe doesn't! j/k

Bloodhound Gang were friends of mine during college - I went to U Penn in Philly, where they're from - and they hung around drexel. Quite good foosball players, actually. But we get two of them really into Bab-5 to the point of where they were with us in the "gang of 20" or so that would view each new episode every time it aired on the widescreen together. So who knows? Maybe its an underhanded B5 reference!

-Tim

I haven't heard of B5 mentioned in anything either than what a few here have already mentioned. But, I do see people that played in B5 on TV all the time. Lots of times, they are on the Lifetime TV network. My mother watches that on the weekends. I will see or hear an actor and say, "Hey that person was on B5. The last one I remember seeing was the guy who played Captain Montoya in season 5.

A ton of B5 people were also on Seinfeld - Mr. Pitt was the Lumati ambassador, the Regent was on, as well as the head monk from "Deconstruction...", and many more. I guess this happens with actors - especially on shows from that were contemporaries - but its always somewhat disconcerting to see them in their non-B5 roles!

-Tim

I saw a cool refference on Austria's main SMS page - a page which allowed you to send short messages to cellphones, download ringtones, register webmailadresses, ect.. - this used to be the most frequently visited page internly in austria (austrian page visited by most austrians) untill they started charging for about everything. Anyway, one day I was sitting beside a friend of mine in school when he dialed on to this page. I was sort of passivley watching him and suddenly started laughing when I saw the indexpage. He as a non-fiver (for now. I plan on laying B5 on him when I have time to - I'm shure he would love it) didn't get it at all. I saved the page when I came home and now made of a screenshot of it (don't have no webspace to host the HTML itself)

SCREENSHOT

For those who don't speak any german (what would be about every but me /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) The text beside G'Kar reads: "Many ring-tones are an absolute horror. You haven't found the ring-tone that will make you happy jet either, have you?"

I could read a little bit of this because I had German in high school. That was like 17 years ago however, so my German isn't what it used to be. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I don't watch much else in the way of tv..not much on...and if I don't pay the cable bill tomorrow, it is down to watching video tapes for a few weeks.
The only reference I have is personal.
I was in a plant ID class in college, out in the field on campus, and the professor was talking about the college we were attending having an open door policy..I couldn't resist, I quietly piped up, "and an open airlock policy'...only a few people surrounding me heard and at least one of them chuckled. I'm not sure whether they understood the reference because they knew the show or it was just an odd thing to say. Most likely the latter.

As for seeing actors in other roles..totally different topic, but the actors you mentioned were fairly well known before B5. Other than a few select people. The actor that plays Malcom's dad in Malcom in the middle, played the Ranger that sacrificed his ship in order to lure the shadows to the final battle with the Vorlons.
Richard Biggs actually did do a short stint on a Lifetime series..can't remember what the name of it was but had the black and white girl that had grown up together. He played the boyfriend/fiance of the black lady.
That's it for me,

MTV Movie Awards, in the scene from Panic room.. or that with Jodie Foster, the one guy form MTV awards takes one of her Babylon 5 cast plates and smashes it. And if I'm rememebirng right, Jodie Foster is B5 fan. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

She probably is posting at these boards under a faked identity so people don't put her as nuts for claiming to be jodie Foster. We could make a poll which poster most likely would be Jodie Foster in reality /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back