• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

AFI's 100 movie quotes

Re: AFI\'s 100 movie quotes

That's pretty obscure compared to the most obvious Dirty Harry quote:
"Ya gotta ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya?"

Maybe, but it sticks with me, visually. He has the wisecracking punk, lifted up by his shirt and tie, and against the elevator wall, and is saying the quote I listed above in a very threatening fashion, about 1 inch from the punk's face. If thoughts could kill, that punk would have been burned to ash.

I read all 400 of them. I must admit that they included a lot of my favorites, from Blade Runner, Rebel Without a Cause, Touch Of Evil, The Day The Earth Stood Still, The Treasure of Sierra Madre, and many others. I think they could have picked better Mae West quotes than some they listed. Several of the quotes they list are good, but I think surpassed by others in the same film. From Raising Arizona, I prefer 'her womb was a rocky ground where my seed could find no purchase.' From I Am A Fugitive From A Chain Gang, I prefer 'What were you sent up for? ... For Looking at a hamburger.' I'll admit that they did actually list almost all of my favorites that I could quickly remember. One favorite that they omitted was between Errol Flynn and Olivia DeHavilland, either in Captain Blood, or The Adventures of Robinhood. She: "You're talking treason!" He: "Fluently!" I used it for a sig when I began on this board.

My pick for best quote: "I Am Spartacus!"

Might they not be listing the "best" quotes, but more the most recognizeable/popular one?

One favorite that they omitted was between Errol Flynn and Olivia DeHavilland, either in Captain Blood, or The Adventures of Robinhood. She: "You're talking treason!" He: "Fluently!"

Actually the exact lines are:

"Why, you speak treason!"
"Fluently"

The exchange is from Robin Hood.

And yes, Hyp, like most of these silly poll-based "best" lists (the nit-witted apotheosis of which is A&E's "Greatest American" project) this comes down to "the most recognizable", "most familiar", "best liked", rather than qualitatively "best".

That's why poll-driven IMDB "best movie" lists tend to skew towards Star Wars and the like - recent films that immediately spring to mind, especially of the younger movie fans who are most likely to respond to on-line polls. Even if you're a young fan who has seen a Casablanca, Seventh Samurai or Paths of Glory on DVD and thought them terrific films is unilkely to think of them first when asked "what's your favorite movie?" You're more likely to think of the last film you saw that you really liked. Thus The Return of the King or The Matrix can score high on a movie list, and you can end up with Mel Gibson and Dr. Phil on the "Greatest Americans" list. (And before anyone asks, yes, Mel is an American. He was born in Peekskill, New York, a Hudson river town north of New York City, immortalized in the story of Rip Van Winkle. I lived there myself for a time, many years ago.)

Regards,

Joe

It does come down to that, and yes that's what makes these lists so meaningless.

But, on the other hand, people tend to like them. :)

If nothing else, it gets some interesting discussion going about what should (and should not) have been included.

Or for that matter, "Luke, I am your father."

From Tommy Boy?

Actually, the quote you're thinking of is: "No. I am your father," and it is on the list. That's one of the most commonly misquoted lines.

It does come down to that, and yes that's what makes these lists so meaningless.

But, on the other hand, people tend to like them. :)

If nothing else, it gets some interesting discussion going about what should (and should not) have been included.

Well, the whole thing is silly, really, and dreamt up by AFI for the purpose of getting people talking about, renting and buying movies, especially out of the old stock that nobody much thinks about until one of these list shows comes out. Meaningless? Yes, except to AFI and the people who make money off of movie sales and rentals.

One favorite that they omitted was between Errol Flynn and Olivia DeHavilland, either in Captain Blood, or The Adventures of Robinhood. She: "You're talking treason!" He: "Fluently!"

Actually the exact lines are:

"Why, you speak treason!"
"Fluently"

The exchange is from Robin Hood.

Thanks, Joe. There is a similar exchange in Captain Blood, where Olivia also says something to the effect that he is speaking treason, and Errol replies "I trust I'm not obscure." I'm always confusing which lines are in which picture, and I "quoted" from memory, so I'm not suprised I didn't have Olivia's line exact.

I agree that this kind of thing isn't very meaningful, as far as which quotes are truly best. But, it does get people thinking about the films, and taking an interest. I think that is worthwhile. I found it interesting that they had so many quotes from scifi films.

One of my favorite film quotes wasn't eligible, since it is from The Ruling Class, a British film, starring Peter O'Toole. He plays a mad English lord, who believes he is Jesus Christ. An inexact quote from memory, his shrink asks when he first realized he was Christ. O'Toole replies "One day while I was praying, I found I was talking to myself."

I just put that on my Netflix queue and moved it to the top. I love Peter O'Toole movies. :D

Thanks, JJ. :cool:

Glad to be of service! The full length version is 154 minutes, one version runs 142m. It is howlingly funny, biting satire, and a bit of a musical, too. O'Toole is excellent in the role, and the rest of the cast is quite good as well. Great characters, such as the master of lunacy, and the high voltage Messiah!

Always good to hear of a film of Peter's I'd never seen before.

One movie I hoped might be on the list, but wasn't, was "Lean on Me". I guess it just wasn't big enough.

But either the studen'ts line:
"We don't WANT a good principal, we WANT Mr. Clarke!"

or shortly thereafter Mr. Clarke's line:
"And on behalf of myself and of Eastside High, I'd like to tell the state to go to hell" (or something like that). :)

I would have liked to see Slim Pickens' "YAHOO!" as he rides the bomb down in Dr. Strangelove!

Oh, I was surprised to see Dr. Strangelove in there at all.

There was another movie's inclusion that pleasantly surprised me, but I can't recall what it was. That's what I get for trying to get through the whole 400. [lol]

That's pretty obscure compared to the most obvious Dirty Harry quote:
"Ya gotta ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya?"
That (most obvious Dirty Harry quote) is a relatively close call, between the "feel lucky" and:

"Go ahead. Make my day."

I'm sorry, but I think I can end this debate for you right now.

I've never seen "Dirty Harry" and never will. Just not my kind of movie. I have never heard the quote about "Do I feel lucky".

But, lord knows, I definitely know "Go ahead. Make my day."

Once again, this isn't really a list of the 'best' lines. It's a list of the most recognizeable lines, I think.

And, again, it is stimulating some interesting conversation. And at least one movie recommendation for me. :D

Well, I guess there is also the point of whether we mean most obvious quote from Dirty Harry, the character; or Dirty Harry, the movie (as opposed to its sequels).

"Go ahead. Make my day." is from one of the sequels. It also gained some wider recognition when Ronald Reagan borrowed it (with attribution) in a press conference, and that piece of tape became one of the more common RR clips for years afterwards.

"I know what you're thinking. You're thinking: Has he fired 6 shots, or only five? Well, to tell you the truth: in all this excitement, I kinda lost track myself. But seeing as this is a 44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and will blow your head clean off; you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, Punk?"

is definitely the signature bit from the orginal Dirty Harry movie (Harry Callahan delivers the whole speach twice in the movie. I'm not sure off-hand whether the "Punk" is in both, or is only appended in one.)..... and one of the most quotable (relatively) extended speaches from American movies (although, the above is almost certainly off by a couple words here and there, since it was from memory).

I think he does call them both punks. Of course the context is different.

SPOILERS FOR DIRTY HARRY

The first time is in the beginning and is not really plot-related, just an excuse for some opening action and a way to introduce us to the bad-assness of Harry. Some pettty street crook is lying there with a gun within his reach and Harry points his at him. The famous speech is comiserating over whether he has any bullets left (of course I'm sure he does know). This crook decided he doesn't feel lucky and doesn't go for the gun, allowing himself to be arrested. Then he cries out, "I gots ta know!" and Harry turns around and pulls the trigger of his empty gun.

The second time is at the end against the main villain. Same situation, same speech, different result- the guy goes for his piece but Harry pops him.

I'm sorry, but I think I can end this debate for you right now.

I've never seen "Dirty Harry" and never will. Just not my kind of movie.

How do you know it's not your kind of movie if you've never seen any of the Dirty Harry movies? Are you basing your conclusion upon a general dislike of the genre? For example, I personally dislike musicals so I wouldn't be caught dead viewing a musical. Something like that?

I have never heard the quote about "Do I feel lucky".

That's a piece of classic line from the very first Dirty Harry movie (1971). See below.

But, lord knows, I definitely know "Go ahead. Make my day."

That was from "Sudden Impact."

Here are all of the Dirty Harry movies in chronological order.

Dirty Harry (1971)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066999/

Magnum Force (1973)
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0070355/

The Enforcer (1976)
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0074483/

Sudden Impact (1983)
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0086383/

The Dead Pool (1988)
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0094963/

Of those, The Enforcer was my least favorite. The Dead Pool is surprisingly good, although I'm partial to anything with Patricia Clarkson in it. :D It might surprise you how many "name stars" guest starred in the Dirty Harry movies.

Trivia: Albert Popwell played the bank robber ("Hey. I gots to know.") in Dirty Harry, J.J. Wilson (bad guy) in Magnum Force, (bad guy) 'Big' Ed Mustapha in The Enforcer, and (friend and partner) Horace King in Sudden Impact.

<u>Assorted Quotes from the Dirty Harry movies</u> Favorites in <font color="orange">orange</font>.

<font color="yellow">CAUTION: Some of the following quotes contain vulgarity that is not astericked out or otherwise hidden. Do not read if you are easily offended.</font>

Dirty Harry (1971)
<font color="orange">
[after a battered crook has accused Harry of beating him]
Chief: Have you been following that man?
Harry Callahan: Yeah, I've been following him on my own time. And anybody can tell I didn't do that to him.
Chief: How?
Harry Callahan: Cause he looks too damn good, that's how!
</font>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<font color="orange">
Harry Callahan: I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?
</font>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<font color="orange">
Bank Robber: I gots to know.
</font>

[Harry is getting a dressing-down for his most recent arrest]
District Attorney Rothko: You're lucky I'm not indicting you for assault with intent to commit murder.
Harry Callahan: What?
District Attorney Rothko: Where the hell does it say that you've got a right to kick down doors, torture suspects, deny medical attention and legal counsel? Where have you been? Does Escobedo ring a bell? Miranda? I mean, you must have heard of the Fourth Amendment. What I'm saying is that man had rights.
Harry Callahan: Well, I'm all broken up over that man's rights!

<font color="orange">
[Harry Callahan has to explain why he shot a man]
Harry Callahan: Well, when an adult male is chasing a female with intent to commit rape, I shoot the bastard. That's my policy.
The Mayor: Intent? How did you establish that?
Harry Callahan: When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!
[walks out of the room]
The Mayor (played by John Vernon, btw. :) ): He's got a point.
</font>

Harry Callahan: You know, you're crazy if you think you've heard the last of this guy. He's gonna kill again.
District Attorney Rothko: How do you know?
Harry Callahan: 'Cause he likes it.

De Georgio: Harry hates everybody. Limeys, Micks, Hebes, Fat Dagos, Niggers, Honkies, Chinks, you name it.
Gonzales: How does he feel about Mexicans?
De Georgio: Ask him.
Harry Callahan: Especially Spics. (said with a ;) )

Harry Callahan: There must be something you can get him on.
Appellate Court Judge Bannerman: Without the evidence of the gun and the girl, I couldn't convict him of spitting on the sidewalk.
Harry Callahan: Are you trying to tell me that ballistics can't match the bullet up to this rifle?
District Attorney Rothko: It does not matter what ballistics can do. This rifle might make a nice souvenir. But it's inadmissible as evidence.
Harry Callahan: And who says that?
District Attorney Rothko: It's the law.
Harry Callahan: Well, then the law is crazy.

Harry Callahan: What's that for?
Doctor: I'm going to cut open your trousers.
Harry Callahan: Save it. I'll take 'em off.
Doctor: That's gonna hurt.
Harry Callahan: For $29,50... let it hurt.

Harry Callahan: Where's the girl?
The Killer: You tried to kill me!
Harry Callahan: If I tried to do that your head would be splattered all over this field - now WHERE'S THE GIRL?

Magnum Force (1973)

<font color="orange">
Harry Callahan: Well, I just work for the city, Briggs!
Lieutenant Briggs: So do I, longer than you, and I never had to take my gun out of its holster once. I'm proud of that.
Harry Callahan: Well, you're a good man, Lieutenant. A man's got to know his limitations.
</font>

Harry Callahan: You know those guys?
Early Smith: They came through the Academy after me. They stick together like flypaper, you know? Everybody thought they were queer for each other.
Harry Callahan: Tell you something. If the rest of you could shoot like them, I wouldn't care if the whole damn department was queer.

[speaking of the murdered gangsters]
Harry Callahan: Couldn't of happened to a nicer bunch of guys.

[Harry is confronted by three of the vigilante cops]
Harry Callahan: You heroes killed a dozen people this week. What are you going to do next week?
Officer Davis: Kill a dozen more.

<font color="orange">
Lieutenant Briggs: Suppose they panic and start shooting?
Harry Callahan: Nothing wrong with shooting as long as the right people get shot.
</font>

Harry Callahan: Briggs, I hate the damn system, but until someone comes along with changes that make sense, I'll stick with it.

[Harry and Walter are examining the car of the pimp shot to death]
Walter, Crime Scene Investigator: Now, he'd have to be standing right here, this close. Point-blank range.
Harry Callahan: The driver's license and a hundred dollar bill were out, almost like he was showing it to a traffic cop.
Walter, Crime Scene Investigator: Yeah. And from what we have it figures to be someone impersonating a police officer. On the cars at least, it's been done before. This close it would have to be someone he would never recognize.
Harry Callahan: Or never suspect.

The Enforcer (1976)

[about Kate Moore]
Harry Callahan: She wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.

<font color="orange">
[Callaghan learns he is being transferred to Personnel]
Harry Callahan: Personnel? That's for assholes!
Capt McKay: I was in Personnel for ten years.
Harry Callahan: Yeah.
</font>

Kate Moore: You laugh at me and I'll shoot you where you stand.

<font color="orange">
Harry Callahan: Here's a seven point suppository.
Capt McKay: What do you mean?
Harry Callahan: I mean stick it up your ass.
</font>

[upon being dressed down by Capt McKay]
Harry Callahan: May I comment something?
Capt McKay: What is it?
Harry Callahan: You mouthwash ain't makin' it.

Mustapha: You really *are* a dirty son of a bitch.
Harry Callahan: The dirtiest.

[to black militant groupies]
Harry Callahan: That's mighty white of you.

Frank DiGiorgio: [DiGiorgio is dying] Harry, the guy that stuck me. I recognized him. You remember that prostitute murder in the Fillmore District four, five years ago?
Harry Callahan: Yeah.
Frank DiGiorgio: One of the pimps, white guy, had one of those cutesy, little boy names; Billy, Jackie something like that; we liked him for it, Harry, we liked him a lot.
Harry Callahan: I remember we liked everybody in the District for that one.

Harry Callahan: So, what's Henry Lee up to these days?
Mustapha: He went white. Why, did he do something else stupid?

Harry Callahan: For $75, you get to make it with a rubber dolly.

Sudden Impact (1983)

<font color="orange">
[after losing a case in court, and having D'Ambrosia from the DA's office tell him that "You can't bust 'em because you think they're dirty. Psychic doesn't cut it anymore."]
Harry Callahan: Listen, punk. To me you're nothin' but dogshit, you understand? And a lot of things can happen to dogshit. It can be scraped up with a shovel off the ground. It can dry up and blow away in the wind. Or it can be stepped on and squashed. So take my advice and be careful where the dog shits ya!
</font>

[at a homicide crime scene where a guy was shot in the crotch, and then in the head]
Detective: Don't tell me this shit's getting to ya. Not Harry Callahan. Say it ain't so.
Harry Callahan: No this stuff isn't getting to me.The shootings, the knifings, the beatings, old ladies being bashed in the head for their Social Security checks, teachers being thrown out a fourth floow window because they don't give A's. That doesn't bother me a bit.
Detective: Come on, Harry, take it easy.
Harry Callahan: ...or this job, either, having wade through the scum of this city, being swept away by bigger and bigger waves of corruption, apathy and red tape. Naah, that doesn't bother me.
Detective: What?
Harry Callahan: [Do} you know what makes me really sict to my stomach?
Detective: What?
Harry Callahan: It's watching you stuff your face with those hot dogs. Nobody, I mean nobody puts ketchup on a hot dog. It's about us putting our finger in the hole while the whole damn dike's crumbling around us.

<font color="orange">
[to a steet-punk/gang member who's harrassing her after she pulls up to a Stop sign]
Jennifer Spencer: Need a lift?
Punk [starts to think she's serious.]: Yeah baby.
Jennifer Spencer: Then, shove a jack up your ass! [peels out]
</font>

<font color="orange">
Crook: What you doin', pig-head sucka?
Harry Callahan: Every day for the last ten years, Loretta there's been giving me a large black coffee. Today she gives me a large black coffee only it's got sugar in it, a LOT of sugar. I just came back to complain. Now you boys put those guns down.
Crook: Say what?!
Harry Callahan: Well, we're not just going to let you walk out of here.
Crook: Who's "we", sucka?
Harry Callahan: Smith, and Wesson, and me.
[shootout]
[Callahan dares a last crook to shoot his hostage]
Harry Callahan: Go ahead, make my day.
[Crook drops gun. Cops cuff crook.]
Harry Callahan: Call D'Ambrosia in the DA's office and ask him if coffee is psychic.
</font>

Police Commissioner: Inspector, your methods are unconventional to say the least. Oh, you get results. But often your successes are more costly to this department in terms of expenses and physical destruction than most other men's failures.

Police Commissioner: I think it would be wise if the Inspector took some time off.
Harry Callahan: Are you suspending me, sir?
Police Commissioner: No, I'm saying you take a vacation until this cools off.
Harry Callahan: But I'm not up for a vacation!
Police Commissioner: Callahan, I'm not going to fence with you. Take a few days off.

<font color="orange">
Captain Briggs: Don't you lecture me, you son of a bitch! Do you know who I am? Do you know my record?
Harry Callahan: Yeah... you're a legend in your own mind.
</font>

<font color="orange">
Harry Callahan: Do you know the emergency phone number for San Francisco General? Well, why don't you call them right now and have them send down an ambulance. Tell them there's two sorry-looking assholes here with multiple contusions and various abrasions and broken bones.
</font>

<font color="orange">
Restaurant Employee: What happened?
Harry Callahan: Somebody grabbed their chest. Must have seen the bill.
</font>

<font color="orange">
Captain Briggs: Is it your job to harrass and incite an old man into a heart attack?
Harry Callahan: My job is to investigate homicide. Thjat old man happens to be one of the biggest crime lords on the west coast. How the hell was I supposed to know he was going to vapor lock?
</font>

Harry Callahan: I'm looking for friends of George Wilbur.
Bar Patron: What'd he do?
Harry Callahan: He lost his balls... he got killed.

Captain Briggs: Think things over, Callahan. Get with it. It's a whole new ball game these days.
Harry Callahan: Funny. I never thought of it as a game.

<font color="orange">
[Horace King, a buddy of Harry's sneaks on Harry at the range with a 12-gauge. Harry whips around and puts the barrel of his new gun to Horace's forehead]
Harry Callahan: Good morning Horace.
Horace King: Sweet sister Sadie. When the hell did you get that?
Harry Callahan: I've had it awhile. I just thought I'd get used to it.
Horace King: I heard about the car. Fabulous them coming after you in tanks.
Harry Callahan: Yeah, they're making those these days, for sheiks, business executives, ...hoods. Impregnible to about anything but artillery.
Horace King: Well, you got that covered.
[Horace shoots a target with the 12 gauge]
Harry Callahan: Not bad.
Horace King: Not bad my ass. You've got to strain the remains for the fingerprints.
Harry Callahan: Well, this is the 44 Magnum Automag, and it holds a 300 grain cartridge, and if properly used it can remove the fingerprints.
</font>

[speaking of a Bulldog, "Meat Head," that a friend (Horace King) gave Harry as a gift]
Coffee Shop Waitress: Hey, mister. Is that your dog?
Harry Callahan: Why? Do you want him?

Harry Callahan: Looks like I owe you one, meat head.

The Dead Pool (1988)

[Talking to Peter Swan about being on the list]
Harry Callahan: Maybe I'll start my own dead pool... and put you on it.

<font color="orange">
[when Lt. Ackerman commented about it looking good for the dept. by Harry being partnered with a Chinese-American}
Harry Callahan: Do you have any kids, lieutenant?
Lt. Ackerman: No.
Harry Callahan: Lucky for them.
</font>

Harry Callahan: You forgot your fortune cookie.
Gunman #1: [Yelling] What?
Harry Callahan: It says..."You're shit out of luck."

<font color="orange">
[to Lt. Ackerman]
Harry Callahan: Well, opinions are like assholes. Everybody has one.
</font>

Harry Callahan: Do you like cops?
Samantha Walker: As long as they're not in my rearview mirror.

Harlan Rook: Now you've locked yourself in, asshole!
Harry Callahan: Yeah. Just you and me, asshole.

Harry Callahan: You're out of bullets. And you know what that means... you're shit outta luck.

<font color="orange">
Harry Callahan: She's right. Oh you can set yourself into a bonfire, we'll break out the marshmallows and the weenies, but you ain't gonna be on "News at Eleven".
</font>

Well those quotes certainly demonstrates why they're not hypatia's type of movies. The films are militant, vengeful crime-fighting porn. If a cop like Dirty Harry were real we'd call for his head. Hence the films' popularity- they allow us to indulge in that dark fantasy of not bothering with rights and laws, like Jack Bauer on 24. Fun to watch for some of us (myself included) but there's certainly a reason as to why they're definitely "guys' movies."

Back