B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old May 19th 09, 00:03   #81
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Re: Star Trek (SPOILERS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alluveal View Post
I waited a few years to get into Lost because I wanted to see if Abrams would frack that show up as well, but I'm liking what he did with Lost. Maybe he learned his lesson with Alias. Let's hope.
I never watched more than about 5 minutes of Alias, but, what JJ Abrams did with LOST was turn it over to Damon and Carlton, and went off to do movies (MI3, Cloverfield, Star Trek)
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th 09, 00:53   #82
Chilli
High Treason Prevention Officer

Send a message via ICQ to Chilli Send a message via MSN to Chilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alluveal View Post
You're preachin' to the choir about Alias. The first two seasons were rockin hard-core. What they did to Mama Derevko was just shameful. I did like Nadia in season 4. That was interesting, but yeah. I waited a few years to get into Lost because I wanted to see if Abrams would frack that show up as well, but I'm liking what he did with Lost. Maybe he learned his lesson with Alias. Let's hope.
As I understand it, Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse are fully in charge of Lost at this point - Abrams hasn't got involved much for some time.

Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th 09, 01:02   #83
for the one
Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacantlook View Post
And I couldn't help but see the giant ball of "red matter" and think of the giant floating ball of red liquid from Alias. That was a bit annoying.
"You mean the GALACTIC COOL AID, as Squash would say? Hmmmmmmm, Now that you mention it, I had totally forgot about that red ball from Alias," he pauses for a moment like the thinking man statue. "Although since at the time I hadn't thought of it, it didn't distract me. But geeeeee thanks now I probably will from here after. Oh well. "

[QUOTE=vacantlook;343199] I honestly don't remember. After the super-craptastic third season, I stopped paying as much attention as I did during the first two seasons. It's so sad how stupid that show got. To take a character as wonderfully complex and mysterious as Sydney's mother, who at the end of the second season in a secret message to Sydney made it sound like there was something big she was concealing but that she was ultimately working toward a good purpose, and in the end have her die maniacally wanting more, miscellaneous "power" sounding like Darth Sidious in Revenge of the Sith was such a loss. QUOTE]

The reason why the show Alias was fighting for story ideas, is because it was struggling to survive and had no more budget. I thought Jennifer Garner's brave attempt to Produce and promote the final seasons was a bold attempt. I loved all the characters and it closed the series out rather well. It did seem like they were running out of ideas for twists at the end, but I loved the show dearly and so did my wife. The ending closed up loose threads but still seemed to be anti climatic in that I wanted a global attack. But I'm still hoping for a global attack by the red balls: Alias "Left For Dead" zombie movie anyone?

***Speaking of Kool Aid I heard the company is going bankrupt. Perhaps they need to take advantage of the Trek hype and put out a black hole cherry Kool Aid.
They can over charge to get out of debt. The slogan could be, "Put a hole in your wallet with cherry black hole the kool Aid that really sucks you in." [I'm kidding about the slogan].

CCC CCC CCC
CCCCC CCCCC C
CCC C CCC C C
C C C c
C CCC C
C C

CCCCCCCCC cccccccc
CCCCCCCCC cc
CCCCCCC CC

ccccc
ccccc
cccccccc
cccccccc
(My version of a 8 bit Atari 2600 Terminator)

Last edited by for the one; May 19th 09 at 03:04. Reason: SP CK
for the one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th 09, 01:09   #84
vacantlook

I haven't read through this thread, so this might have been discussed already, but the whole red matter savior plan doesn't really make too much sense to me.

So, the sun blows up, and the plan is that to protect the planet from destruction, Ambassador Spock was going to use the red matter to turn the supernova-ing sun into a black whole. But wouldn't the black hole have sucked the planet into itself being that it was, after all, a freaking black hole?
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th 09, 01:44   #85
Jade Jaguar
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by darth_librarian View Post
be free from all of that, and a good thing too.

What I don't want to see is slightly naff rehashes. I mentioned Kahn earlier, but It would be good to see them try some really new stuff. Although Ricky Gervais or Will Ferrell would make a good Harry Mudd.
Will Ferrel would make a great Norman! But for Harcourt Fenton Mudd, I'd rather have a good fast-talking shyster type, such as Robin Williams, Jim Carrey, or maybe Bill Murray.

I, Mudd is my favorite ep of ST:TOS.
Benjamin Franklin 1775

"I know that the hypnotized never lie... Do ya?"
Pete Townshend 1971

FREE LEONARD PELTIER
Jade Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th 09, 04:41   #86
Alluveal
Psi Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilli View Post
As I understand it, Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse are fully in charge of Lost at this point - Abrams hasn't got involved much for some time.
Well good. Maybe he needs to just stay away....
Alluveal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th 09, 04:46   #87
Alluveal
Psi Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by for the one View Post

The reason why the show Alias was fighting for story ideas, is because it was struggling to survive and had no more budget. I thought Jennifer Garner's brave attempt to Produce and promote the final seasons was a bold attempt. I loved all the characters and it closed the series out rather well. It did seem like they were running out of ideas for twists at the end, but I loved the show dearly and so did my wife. The ending closed up loose threads but still seemed to be anti climatic in that I wanted a global attack. But I'm still hoping for a global attack by the red balls: Alias "Left For Dead" zombie movie anyone?
See, I don't think they really solved everything. We never figured out who the heck Rambaldi even was. He was all shrouded in mystery and by the end, he was still shrouded in mystery.

I heard that Abrams started focusing more on Lost than on Alias (and Alias suffered for it.) Furthermore, I read that because Garner had issues with Michael Vartan, his character was "killed off." Fans threw such a hissy that they found a way to bring him back. Not sure if any of that is true, but those kinds of hard-core rumors never do a show any good.

I didn't mind season 4 so much as I really loathed season 3. Hi, let's get our two characters together then oopsie! Sydney loses a year, had amnesia, Vaughn is married to some stupid English wench who was as transparent as they come (as a villain,) blah blah blah.

I mean, we all knew Sloane was an evil SOB, even though he had moments of, "wow, ok, maybe he's not that bad." But to mess with Irina in that way? Just stupid. A part of me refuses to believe that she did turn evil in season 4 (toward the end.) I just don't watch those episodes when I see reruns.
Alluveal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th 09, 14:50   #88
squish
Lurker

Send a message via AIM to squish

Quote:
Originally Posted by darth_librarian View Post
What I don't want to see is slightly naff rehashes.
Oh dear holy mother of !@#$$# you've just given me nightmares for years that the rest of Trek is going to be a high budget re-hash of Voyager... Did I just see the one of the best movies of all time just to suffer through thirty brainless labotomized voyager-writer trek-hash movies that I'll obviously have to watch anyway on the lottery ticket chance there's one that doesn't *completely* bypass every cell of creativity in the human brain? I think I'm going to have to invent a time machine myself just to zip forward and make sure so I can sleep at night.

Quote:
I felt a lot of the glowiness and lense flare of the look of the film was distracting.
"Glowiness," lol. I actually thought it was a really good creative touch/style but that it went just a little bit overboard. Like it'd be perfect if they'd just turned down the glowiness knob like two and a half notches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by for the one View Post
The slogan could be, "Put a hole in your wallet with cherry black hole the kool Aid that really sucks you in."
How about "The Romulans destroyed my homeworld and all I got was this lousy black Cherry Kool-Aid T shirt"

Quote:
But wouldn't the black hole have sucked the planet into itself being that it was, after all, a freaking black hole?
Unless I missed something, I don't think it was the Romulan sun that went nova (?). I think it was some much stranger phenomenon they haven't explained yet. I'm guessing if Sylar was on time, the Romulan star system would have remained intact and unaffected. I think we're missing a lot of details. Maybe we should invest in Galahad's theory with the star affecting other stars in some sort of chain reaction.
squish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th 09, 15:53   #89
vacantlook

Quote:
Originally Posted by squish View Post
Unless I missed something, I don't think it was the Romulan sun that went nova (?). I think it was some much stranger phenomenon they haven't explained yet. I'm guessing if Sylar was on time, the Romulan star system would have remained intact and unaffected. I think we're missing a lot of details. Maybe we should invest in Galahad's theory with the star affecting other stars in some sort of chain reaction.
I went by the Wikipedia page for the film to check what it says:

Quote:
In the year 2387, the galaxy is threatened by an unusually volatile supernova. Ambassador Spock pilots a ship carrying "red matter", intending to create an artificial black hole to consume the supernova. Before Spock completes his mission, the supernova destroys the planet Romulus....
In order for it to destroy Romulus, if it wasn't Romulus's sun, it would have to be a star close enough that I still think that turning it into a black hole would still cause some disastrous effect on Romulus.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th 09, 18:42   #90
Galahad
First One

Send a message via MSN to Galahad Send a message via Yahoo to Galahad Send a message via Skype™ to Galahad

The Star thw went Supernova is named - Hobus.

All that is known about the Romulan star system is this:
Quote:
On a computer display in Star Trek: Nemesis, the Romulan system is depicted, containing one primary star and four orbiting planets, among them Romulus and Remus. However, since we do not know anything about the other two planets or the Romulan sun, there is no speculative information about those celestial bodies included in this article. The designation for the Romulan sun is unknown, although some unverified sources suggest it might be "Romulus", too. However, in Diane Duane's "Rihannsu" novels, the Romulan sun is referred to as Eisn.
Which would lean towards the idea that the star that went supernova was not the star that Romulus orbits.

"We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."

Visit NiCK'S SANCTUARY
Galahad is offline   Reply With Quote