B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old May 17th 09, 17:32   #71
squish
Lurker

Send a message via AIM to squish
Re: Star Trek (SPOILERS)

That would have defeated the only purpose of the movie. The whole point is we can do new things now, that we have no idea what to expect. Otherwise we should just pull down every succeeding Star Trek book, film, and episode off our shelves, and just just watch them sequentially again while drinking cherry kool-aid. I'm an aspiring novelist and I can't imagine boldly re-writing myself into a pre-written saga.

Last edited by squish; May 17th 09 at 17:36.
squish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th 09, 18:18   #72
Alluveal
Psi Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bab5nutz View Post
Was anyone expecting a "reset button" ending? Where at the end of the film, everything would go back to the Trek universe we all know?
Naw, I was just along for the ride....
Alluveal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th 09, 22:46   #73
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Finally got to see it. I loved it.
The characters were all written well, and the actors did a great job portraying their namesakes.

I knew about the time travel aspect, but, it didn't ruin anything for me, because I was expecting it to play out much different (I expected Old Spock to travel back and send Kirk's crew back further through time, or something like that)

While it's true, the time travel aspect wasn't neccesaary, (JJ could've just been unapologetic and said this is MY Trek, not prior Trek, and we're starting over) I think it probably helped the popularity. Hard Core Trekkies (the general population of them, that is) are accustomed to "The Reset Button" and I think it actually helped that segment accept the changes easier and allowed them to enjoy the film without picking apart the changes. Of course, I hope they are done with "resetting", but, as a means to start over, I think it was fine and helped give a reason to the changes
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th 09, 03:06   #74
Jade Jaguar
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bab5nutz View Post
Was anyone expecting a "reset button" ending? Where at the end of the film, everything would go back to the Trek universe we all know?
As squish says, that would defeat the purpose of the reboot.

But, I would not have been surprised if they had managed to save Vulcan, as that would not be a total reset. However, I wasn't necessarily expecting it. Part of what I liked about the film was that while some was predictable, such as the Kobayashi Maru thing, there was a lot that wasn't obvious too.
Benjamin Franklin 1775

"I know that the hypnotized never lie... Do ya?"
Pete Townshend 1971

FREE LEONARD PELTIER
Jade Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th 09, 15:07   #75
darth_librarian
Psi Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by squish View Post
That would have defeated the only purpose of the movie. The whole point is we can do new things now, that we have no idea what to expect. Otherwise we should just pull down every succeeding Star Trek book, film, and episode off our shelves, and just just watch them sequentially again while drinking cherry kool-aid. I'm an aspiring novelist and I can't imagine boldly re-writing myself into a pre-written saga.
From a creative point of view, this was basically a neccessity. Trek was dying under the weight of its own continuity, and a vocal but minor section of the fanbase was dragging the whole thing down by requiring that it was constantly adhered to, which was unworkable and a bit silly.

With this gone, screen-writers can be free from all of that, and a good thing too.

What I don't want to see is slightly naff rehashes. I mentioned Kahn earlier, but It would be good to see them try some really new stuff. Although Ricky Gervais or Will Ferrell would make a good Harry Mudd.

"There's no point debating anything online. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional "live audience" quickly conspire to create a "perfect storm" of perpetual bickering."
- Charlie Brooker
darth_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th 09, 19:48   #76
for the one
Ambassador

(Originally Posted by squish) I give this one 9/10 stars, the missing one being the one that Spock collapsed with the help of the new galactic cherry kool-aid flavor, just because I hate kool-aid.

WELCOME SQUASH!
Gallatic Kool-aid that's classic!

CCC CCC CCC
CCCCC CCCCC C
CCC C CCC C C
C C C c
C CCC C
C C

CCCCCCCCC cccccccc
CCCCCCCCC cc
CCCCCCC CC

ccccc
ccccc
cccccccc
cccccccc
(My version of a 8 bit Atari 2600 Terminator)
for the one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th 09, 21:59   #77
vacantlook

Finally went and saw it today. I liked it, didn't love it, but I liked it. Scotty was probably my favorite character. I felt a lot of the glowiness and lense flare of the look of the film was distracting. The actors felt enough like their namesakes that I didn't feel distracted by new actors playing them, which was my utmost concern. Before seeing the film, I had seen the advertisements on tv plenty, and there's the shot in the adverts of Spock attacking Kirk (though I couldn't tell it was Kirk he was attacking in the clip in the adverts, just that Spock was attacking someone) and that had me especially worried in that I was worried about having an emotional Spock in the film, but the context for that scene made all the difference. I think Zachary Quinto did a very good job as Spock.

And I couldn't help but see the giant ball of "red matter" and think of the giant floating ball of red liquid from Alias. That was a bit annoying.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th 09, 22:07   #78
Alluveal
Psi Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacantlook View Post
And I couldn't help but see the giant ball of "red matter" and think of the giant floating ball of red liquid from Alias. That was a bit annoying.
That's right. The rambaldi experimental stuff was a red ball as well and didn't it turn people into zombies? And/or changed time/space?
Old May 18th 09, 23:06   #79
vacantlook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alluveal View Post
That's right. The rambaldi experimental stuff was a red ball as well and didn't it turn people into zombies? And/or changed time/space?
I honestly don't remember. After the super-craptastic third season, I stopped paying as much attention as I did during the first two seasons. It's so sad how stupid that show got. To take a character as wonderfully complex and mysterious as Sydney's mother, who at the end of the second season in a secret message to Sydney made it sound like there was something big she was concealing but that she was ultimately working toward a good purpose, and in the end have her die maniacally wanting more, miscellaneous "power" sounding like Darth Sidious in Revenge of the Sith was such a loss.

I think that's another thing that contributed to my worries about this Star Trek film: JJ Abrams storytelling ineptitude in the past. But if I remember the end credits of Star Trek correctly, he directed and produced but did not write the script, which probably helped. Some people can interpret stories well but are just not capable of creating them themselves, and maybe JJ Abrams is such a person. The creative structure of films is different than with tv shows; the position of executive producer plays significantly different roles in crafting the stories for the two different mediums.

And, I can't help it, but I think that the Kelvin and the shuttlecraft were rather ugly. I think more than a few Star Trek ships have been ugly over the years though. The Enterprise is nice, and I think the basic (and specific) shape of the ship Kahn uses in the second ST film was good too. But slapping miscellaneous pieces onto the basic Enterprise shape to make it "different" really doesn't work for me.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th 09, 00:01   #80
Alluveal
Psi Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacantlook View Post
I honestly don't remember. After the super-craptastic third season, I stopped paying as much attention as I did during the first two seasons. It's so sad how stupid that show got. To take a character as wonderfully complex and mysterious as Sydney's mother, who at the end of the second season in a secret message to Sydney made it sound like there was something big she was concealing but that she was ultimately working toward a good purpose, and in the end have her die maniacally wanting more, miscellaneous "power" sounding like Darth Sidious in Revenge of the Sith was such a loss.

I think that's another thing that contributed to my worries about this Star Trek film: JJ Abrams storytelling ineptitude in the past. But if I remember the end credits of Star Trek correctly, he directed and produced but did not write the script, which probably helped. Some people can interpret stories well but are just not capable of creating them themselves, and maybe JJ Abrams is such a person. The creative structure of films is different than with tv shows; the position of executive producer plays significantly different roles in crafting the stories for the two different mediums.

And, I can't help it, but I think that the Kelvin and the shuttlecraft were rather ugly. I think more than a few Star Trek ships have been ugly over the years though. The Enterprise is nice, and I think the basic (and specific) shape of the ship Kahn uses in the second ST film was good too. But slapping miscellaneous pieces onto the basic Enterprise shape to make it "different" really doesn't work for me.
You're preachin' to the choir about Alias. The first two seasons were rockin hard-core. What they did to Mama Derevko was just shameful. I did like Nadia in season 4. That was interesting, but yeah. I waited a few years to get into Lost because I wanted to see if Abrams would frack that show up as well, but I'm liking what he did with Lost. Maybe he learned his lesson with Alias. Let's hope.