• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

When the Dark comes Rising..........

Grail

• I read one of them. I liked it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I read one of them........and I hated it.

• I read one of the books. It was just O.K.

• I've read all 5 books.........and they're great.

• I've read all 5 ....... and I've read better.

• Susan WHO? The Dark is WHAT?

• Total voters

2aMageing

Regular
.....................six shall turn it back;
Three from the Circle, three from the Track;
Wood, Bronze, Iron; Water, Fire, Stone;
Five will return, and one go alone.

Iron for the birthday, bronze carried long;
Wood from the burning, stone out of song;
Fire from the candle-ring, water fom the thaw;
Six signs the circle, and the Grail gone before.

One more quiz to tell you who you are.....for those who know, and/or those who care.........

Which Dark is Rising Sequence character are you?

Me?
1053905758_AMerriman.GIF

Who'd have thunk it.

Wow, flashback!

When I say read, I actually read them with my mum at around the age of 8. They've been around a while...

They should not be seen as Potter spin offs, these are classic works of English fanatasy, delving into celtic mythos with excellent writing, unlike Rowlings' clumsy and contrite usage of mythological characters.

I think i may have to go and buy some new editions...

They definitely shouldn't be seen as Potter spinoffs -- the first was published in 1965!

Good stuff from juvenile fiction. I have to say I've read much better since -- but at age 11 those were my favorites, bar only the Lord of the Rings.

As an American who picked up with the second (series title) book while in Australia, on chance in the school library.......I feel pretty fortunate to have had a chance to read them. Harry Potter has it's strengths....but I too would consider this a sligthly more mature series of stories........heck, one of the books actually tries to teach a little .........ah, Welsh I think it was, while still presenting a great adventure that fits rather neatly in the arc of the other 4 books.

I like the fact that I can get a feel for some past English culture and parts of the region through Susan Cooper's excellent descriptive style........and I'm a sucker for good, involved stories about Good vs Evil.

Yes... all I know about Welsh pronunciation I know from that book. It was "The Grey King," which won the Newberry Award.

They definitely shouldn't be seen as Potter spinoffs -- the first was published in 1965!

Good stuff from juvenile fiction. I have to say I've read much better since -- but at age 11 those were my favorites, bar only the Lord of the Rings.

That explains why my mum loves them!!!

I suspect they will suffer on a re-visit, as all childhood favourites do, but i do remember loving them. Probably the start of my fascination with the genre, alongside the Hobbit.

Back