• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

5 pack DVD's, anyone?

masterofpuppets5

Beyond the rim
5 pack DVD\'s, anyone?

Hi,
I know it's really early for that, but none the less it's a crucial matter.
I was wondering how realistic am I by waiting for a complete B5 box set of all seasons!
My current financial state is poor (...well not poor, but certainly not fitting for DVD purchasing :(), so I decided to wait for the full set. of course, I'm presuming that all the seasons will be released (does anybody really doubt that?)
Do I need a hard slap in the face so I could wake and "get my sh*t together" or is it actually possible?

Re: 5 pack DVD\'s, anyone?

Hmmm ...

A single 25 DVD complete series set for $249.00
plus $40.00 shipping and handling for the 12 pound box.

What if they throw it into the UPS truck and it arrives
with 25 loose, scratched DVDs? Who pays the shipping to return them ?????????????

Well it sounds good -- except for the loose DVD's part -- unfortunately, I doubt if I will be able to afford it then either :rolleyes: :(

A single 25 DVD complete series set for $249.00
plus $40.00 shipping and handling for the 12 pound box.

What if they throw it into the UPS truck and it arrives
with 25 loose, scratched DVDs? Who pays the shipping to return them ?????????????

Fortunately, I'm pretty certain that if the box set will be released, it will also arrive here in Israel, so I could just fetch it without the burden of shipping and handling (that store has got the first season, although it took some time for it to get there).
There is no doubt that it will be worthwhile financially to wait (I just hope I won't wait too much!). My question is - is there going to be any full series DVD or am I waiting for nothing?

*slaps masterofpuppets5 in the face*

*turning the other cheek* ;)

My question is - is there going to be any full series DVD or am I waiting for nothing?

You're probably waiting for nothing. I think it'd be best to save up your money and buy the Season sets one at a time, as you can afford them. ;)

amazon.com is already listing a set of seasons 1, 2, and 3. Of course it is just the 3 season sets sold in a bundle, and it's not available yet since season 3 is not available yet. It is listed at a slight savings- $215.94 instead of $224.97 (3 x 74.99). http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000A0MFO/qid=1056287773/sr=1-6/ref=sr_1_6/104-5138009-5212763?v=glance&s=dvd

It is a large chunk of money to have to come up with at one time though, and who can wait for season 5 to come out before owning all the others? Not me.

You're waiting for nothing. Warner Bros. is never going to release all five seasons in a single box - there is no business reason to do such a thing, and a great many reasons not to.

The other reason for not waiting is that the early seasons are apt to increase in price or go out of print entirely at some point. The fact is that for any single DVD or boxed set the bulk of the sales come within a few weeks of the original release date. Only titles that continue to show continued steady sales stay in print, and even those titles may go up in price as smaller replacement production runs raise the per-unit price. You can already see this trend with the Trek and X-Files sets in the U.S. (Although none of those has gone out of print as yet, as far as I know.)

Putting all 30 discs (or all 5 sets) into a single box would create a product too bulky and heavy to appeal to consumers and either too expensive to buy at one shot for the audience or not profitable enough for the studio (if they had to lower the retail price as a sales incentive.) Everybody is far better off with the current arrangement except perhaps a tiny minority in positions similar to yours, and Warner Bros. could not make money meeting your needs. Only a few of the mega sets would sell and the rest would go begging.

Believe me, if there were a market for this sort of thing, Paramount would have released TNG this way. If they couldn't find a way to make money on a Trek mega-set, you can be certain the Warner Bros. won't even consider trying with a cult show like B5.

Regards,

Joe

K then, I guess I'll better start saving just enough for the first season - the waiting would've killed me anyway. I should be grateful that I have that store near me, not everyone are that lucky!

Thanks to everyone for the help.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back