• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Now I know why I love this series...

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
D

**DONOTDELETE**

Of course I've loved it for it's pure brilliance before
smile.gif
But just before I thought of something I hacen't seen in many of the resent sci-fi series I've been watching, and it is the use of alot of statists (I dunno if that is the correct word for it, but the meaning of the word I seek is non-acting bystanders still appearing on screen)

When watching the new enterprise series to take an example, it seems like the whole ship is run by 5 people, you don't see many technicians and other funny people running around doing things.

While in B5 you had that episode with the two technicians played a huge part and them discussing the current situation etc, and boy would I like to see that in more serises, it builds up such an atmosphere from the bottom and up so to speak.

I'm sure you all are way ahead of me regarding this, but I just felt I had to share this with someone
smile.gif

/MW

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> and it is the use of alot of statists (I dunno if that is the correct word for it, but the meaning of the word I seek is non-acting bystanders still appearing on screen)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Most people call them "Extras" because that's what Hollywierd calls them.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

------------------
The 3 most common elements in the Universe:
Hydrogen, Greed, Stupidity!

The observant Sho-Rin also noticed, early on, that the extras always look purposful, not like they're looking for a lost contact lens or a quick game of grab-ass.
laugh.gif

The group scenes in the recently shown ep where the Markab are all dying is full of such examples. The scene where the little Markab girl is reunited with her mother (thanks to Lennier), then stumbles slightly still kills me. You know right then that this isn't going to have a happy ending.

------------------
Into the sands of blood comes the Sho-Rin, master of the Mutai

"I'm not saying what I'm thinking. I'm not even thinking what I'm thinking." John Sheridan

It seems that everyone plays a part in B5 even the extras as they convey that this is a very busy space station
smile.gif

edit- spelling
crazy.gif

------------------
"When it is time, come to this place, call our name, we will be here" -Walkers of Sigma957

[This message has been edited by whitestar90 (edited November 04, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mutai Sho-Rin:
The scene where the little Markab girl is reunited with her mother (thanks to Lennier), then stumbles slightly still kills me. You know right then that this isn't going to have a happy ending.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm... This sounds familiar but I cna't put my finger on it... Care to remind?

------------------
"If I don't see you again here... I will see you, in a little while... In a place where no shadows fall."

Babylon 5, my dear dear fellow fans, is the greatest thing on this earth. Understand how lucky you are for knowing it.

Live For The One
Die For The One
Eat At Joe's
Etc, etc.

Are you thinking of Shindlers List? The little girl in red.

------------------
Andrew Swallow

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Originally posted by Mutai Sho-Rin:
The scene where the little Markab girl is reunited with her mother (thanks to Lennier), then stumbles slightly still kills me. You know right then that this isn't going to have a happy ending.

Hmm... This sounds familiar but I can't put my finger on it... Care to remind? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The episode with the plague that wipes out the entire Markab race.

A VERY gutsy ending.
No other show has ever been willing to tackle such an ending.
11 Billion dead. An entire race.
And, it's all their OWN Fault.

------------------

Schindler's List. My God.

Has anyone here talked with a Holocaust survivor?

I reccommend you do before they all die. It's... a life-changing experience.

------------------
In our sleep, pain which cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, until, in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom through the grace of God.
-Aeschylus

Yeah, channe, I have. My grandfather. His whole family was literally wiped out in the camps and ghettos. He was the only one of 7 brothers who survived. How? He was the only one who got out while there was still time. His brotheres didn't think the Nazis would actually "be that bad."

Anyways, I officially endorse any thread that points out why B5 is such an awesome freakin' show. There's been a lot of "Oh, the new show won't be that great," or "This show is better" blah-blah-blah. To hell with that, man. B5 rules!
tongue.gif

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

I've known both a Concentration Camp survivor and the daughter of a woman who spent the entire war using false ID papers in Holland to avoid the Nazis.

Both had harrowing experiences.

The Camp survivor lost both parents and, to this day, has no idea if her brother is alive or dead. The brother was in Russia at the beginning of the war and all records that might indicate his wherabouts were lost.
He could have been drafted into the Russian army, starved as a civilian, sent to a work camp, etc.

The woman in Holland spent a large part of the war hiding in someone's house. She was able to obtain forged documents that allowed her to go out to the market.
But, if the Nazis decided to actually check beyond a quick glance, the IDs would not pass, so they were very risky to carry.
Just slightly better than no ID papers at all.
The penalty for having forged ID papers was execution.
The Nazis were fond of doing it on the spot.

------------------

Back