• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

So what ever happened to the following characters:

I think I read somewhere that it follows the basic NATO command structure with a few international quirks. In the British military, Majors outrank Captains.

Majors out rank army captains but navy captains out rank majors.

The third captain is the commanding officer of a ship.

Major Ryan wore the three "pips" of a British Army/marine captain and was presumably on the generals staff as to why he was giving orders on the bridge of a ship with the ships captain deferring to him. It does actually happen in real life.

I agree that the rank structure on B5 is chaotic. What we dont see are British Commonwealth air force ranks of Pilot officer, Flight officer, Flight Lt., Squadron Leader, Group Captain. Now the addition of thaose really would have made a mess of things and yet cleared a great many things up.

It could have been that the various nations that form the EA have different names for equivilent ranks.

james

Sinclair was a Squadron Leader... I'm sure it's mentioned by Christopher Neame's Knight in his career profile.

I thought he said he was a Squad Leader (rather than Squadron Leader) ... which always struck me as more of a job title rather than a rank. May have to re-watch it to check. Oh, what hardship we endure.

:D

Hey and doesn't he also mention that "smart money said you'd make Admiral some day, but something happened..." ?

Here's what Knight Two says when reciting Sinclair's record:

Your name is Jeffrey David Sinclair.
Mars Colony May 3rd, 2218, 9:15
a.m. Earth Standard time. Enlisted
in Earthforce Defense 2237.
Promoted to fighter pilot 2240.
Promoted again to squad leader less
than a year later. A career officer,
like your father, and his father,
and his father...smart money said
you'd make admiral someday. So
what happened, Commander? Where'd