• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

'24' Season 5 (SPOILERS)

Re: \'24\' Season 5 (SPOILERS)

Yea some of it was a little hoakey.

SPOILERS

I like how the one CTU chick, who discovered someone in a room where they shouldn't be, played the classic "things you don't do in a horror movie" girl. OK, so she works in a secret government agency, where everyone is out to get you, security has to be incredibly tight, and yet "Ill go an investigate this person all by myself and tell no one about it." How dumb was that?

The VP also struck me as the guy Robocop is trying to protect. We just don't know why. Hopefully the plot thickens more.

The silent tick-tock. Kinda weak for me this time. I never was much of an Edgar fan, so I was kind of hoping he would get offed one of these seaosns. It should have been done for Palmer and Michelle, but it was too early in the season. Like, you know, 10 minutes in, or something.

Regarding Tony. I'm hoping he gets pissed off and raises some hell. Tony has been my #2 fav character in this show, and I loved seeing him and Jack in action together. To GKEs point, seeing him go against Jack would be interesting, but I don't see how he could do that considering he wants vengance now, and Jack is after those guys too. Maybe for next season though....

I did like the fact that CTU is now crippled, like in Season 2 when the bomb went off there.

Lasty, speaking of next season, my biggest disappointment thus far, is the writers making Jack Bauers "death" last year such a non-event. I was really hoping for some real "I'm on no ones payroll, don't fuck with me" stories. The possibilities were endless. But unfortnuately they took all of about 5 episodes to bring him back into the CTU fold. That was a letdown for me...

Lasty, speaking of next season, my biggest disappointment thus far, is the writers making Jack Bauers "death" last year such a non-event. I was really hoping for some real "I'm on no ones payroll, don't fuck with me" stories. The possibilities were endless. But unfortnuately they took all of about 5 episodes to bring him back into the CTU fold. That was a letdown for me...

Agreed. That alone turned 24 from, "Ok, I'll check it out some more" to "I'm too lazy to turn off the weekly recording on my ReplayTV and it's already there so I may as well watch it."

As for my Tony vs Jack idea, it would be best handled next season. Tony won't be specifically pissed at Jack, just CTU in general for ruining is life and killing his wife. There's still plenty of time this year to turn him into a cripple, take away all his money, and generally fuck him beyond redemption, so that he blames CTU and seeks vengeance. And who will they have to call in to stop him? That's right.. Chloe! Er... I mean, Jack.

Yea some of it was a little hoakey.

SPOILERS

I like how the one CTU chick, who discovered someone in a room where they shouldn't be, played the classic "things you don't do in a horror movie" girl. OK, so she works in a secret government agency, where everyone is out to get you, security has to be incredibly tight, and yet "Ill go an investigate this person all by myself and tell no one about it." How dumb was that?
It may sound odd, but that bugged me less than a lot of other things, in part because when she went back there she didn't know that it was necessarily a person who shouldn't be there. All she knew was that there had been some unexpected hiccup with computer network originating from in there.

And if their overall facility security was worth half a damn, she would have been fine.

Well, except for pulling out the cel phone. Nobody in there should have a cel phone on them.

If you want the information and discussions in your facility to not be heard by anyone outside, the *first* basic, common sense rule is:

NOBODY is allowed to walk around in there carrying any kind of transmitter on them.

I disagree. I think I remember her saying there was someONE who wasn't checked in to work there, and Edgar said it wasn't a big deal, probably somebody repairing some hardware. She pushed back saying no one was scheduled for work back there. Also, she walked in asking "Hi, anyone here?" (another B-movie great) when walking into a dark room in which you believe someone may be in. Then lets look around in the dark, and when you see something odd, just stop right where you are and pull out your cell phone to call for help. Don't leave the room. Don't hit the alarm. Just stop in your tracks in that darm room and try to make a freakin cell phone call.

No, that whole part was really a joke. Although I do agree with you. Considering they have had a freakin BOMB go off inside that building in the last few seasons, their security is outright laughable.

Yeah- you know, even if it were possible, I just don't want to see a counter-terrorism unit get blown up. It's too creepy, I don't need that shit in my head.

Just to be really clear, I didn't mean that I thought her behavior was *right*. Just that there were plenty of other things that bugged me *more* (like *anybody* taking that case past the security sign-in without having it opened; regardless of ID cards, which wouldn't / shouldn't work the way they showed it either).

Last night's episode seemed to make a dream come true for many 24 fans- Kim says she never wants to see Jack again. This may mean that Kim is out of the 24 universe for good.

I don't think that they would have bothered to bring her back just for what little she did in these past two eps. I see that as most likely having been a set up for further angst. That just seems to be how things go on this show.

Jack telling what's-his-name to take Kim out of the city without making any stops struck me as being the 24-writers'-room version of a guarantee that no matter where he takes Kim, it will be in harm's way (and probably right near the nerve gas).

The question is: Will they go in the direction of actually killing Kim (or order to torment Jack)? Or will they just threaten to kill Kim, and end up just offing the phychologist in the process?

The Body Count Continues:

Zathras warn Tony not to turnings his back on Robocop, but Tony never listen. :(

Only 24 would hint at killing off a major character, and then kill TWO. There's almost nobody left. Chloe's got the most seniority on the job.

It really wouldn't surprise me at all if they ended up killing off Jack at the end of the season. It seems as if they're cleaning house, either for this to be the last season or for them to almost start anew next season. I remember reading either a 20Q or just an interview with Keifer in an issue of Playboy a couple years back and he even said that it would probably be necessary for Jack to die at one point. I don't think they'll kill him off this year, but as I said, it wouldn't surprise me if they did.

Conventional Wisdom has it that Jack Bauer will be leaving television and heading to a multiplex near you in the future.

We shall see.

And did everyone notice Desmond from LOST in next week's coming attractions?

I'm of the school of thought that they have killed TOO MANY main characters this season for it to be dramatic or impressive. They should have quit after Palmer and Michelle. Sure Tony was the longest running character too, but after all the others and the fact he probably didn't want to live anyway, it just didn't seem like that big a deal. Maybe I'm just getting tired of the show?

Oh, and was I the only one who thought that "security seal" on the room that Samwise and Joe Security Guard were in wasn't exactly "air tight"? Shit, the door to my laundry room has more of an air-tight seal than that door did. That was funny. It was like he was opening the door to go to the bathroom or something, not like a door keeping a deadly airborne gas out of their room...

I'm of the school of thought that they have killed TOO MANY main characters this season...

That's kind of what makes me think that they're 'cleaning house' for this to either be it's last season or for them to kind of start from scratch next season.

Dunno, they had a PERFECT chance to start from scratch THIS season....with Bauer pretending to be dead and having to fly under the radar to avoid the Chinese. They could have had this season take place ANYWHERE with ANY cast....and they didn't. They brought it home in the first few hours.

So, is Audrey evil or just being framed? If anyone still cares that is. :D

I'm starting to find Bill Buchanan oddly appealing (read: cute). It's very disturbing, really.

Hey, he's better than Keith Richards, so you are moving up in the world...

So far this whole season has yet to grip me. I think the whole "marshall law" thing could get interesting, but they have done enough things this season to really make me demote this to backgroun noise while I am doing work on my laptop.

Call me silly too, but I was a little peeved that Edgar was the guy who got the slient clock tick this year, when Tony died the very next episode. Freakin Edgar. I hated Edgar. Tony was in the show the longest and was the second biggest badass next to Jack. Am I petty for thinking Tony should have gotten the slient count? Maybe, but I stand by it.

Tony would definitely kick Edgar's ass in a fight, though Edgar would probably beat him in a Quake tournament or something.

You know what looks funny? Fat people keeling over on TV. Oh, well, I'm going to hell.

So now they're gonna make Audrey, the single least interesting character on the show, the center of some big thing? Eh... whatever, it's probably not gonna last more than like two episodes anyway- nothing on this show does anymore.

I'm mostly still managing to keep up an interest as there isn't much else to watch that is new/current that I'd be interested in (especially now that the BSG season is over and Lost has been on hiatus again).

And probably also because I've long given up any hope of sensible/realistical plots and story lines, so I'm just viewing it as one (reasonably) entertaining hour at a time, and that's about it. Heh.

I don't think the whole Audrey thing is going to pan out like they want us to think it will. I'm more curious as to what Wayne Palmer wanted to see Agent Pierce about and how some others found out about it and are now trying to kill him. Are we now going to see both of them killed as well? I think Jack and Pierce are the only characters left that have appeared in every season.

Back