• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Deadwood season 2

An OK episode yesterday, that seemed more to serve as set-ups for the future than anything else.

Al is on the mend now. The closing shot of this face was priceless. Brad Dourif had his best performance here in the whole series so far, a pleasant surprise after relegating him to the background for such a long time. I'm not completely sure why they didn't try forcing him to piss out the stones like that before and almost resorted to surgery. But it gave the Doc a kind of spiritual freedom, and I wonder if that will lead to greater involvement in the politics of the camp. Also will be interesting to see if the experience changes Al in some way.

I think the writers' intentions here was to move the focus off Al for a while, at least in terms of the plots around the camp.

Seth and his wife seem to be beginning to live a married life, with their morning "discussion." Also, calling each other by first names sure helps with the intimacy issues.

Mr. Wilcox is laying some groundwork for something, and it's not clear exactly what. It's more than just scaring prospectors away from their claims for Hearst. This mysterious deal with Cy about the heroin trade seems designed to knock Mr Wu out, but why?

Speaking of Wilcox and laying, what a weird dude he is. Whore-mongering should be much more fun than that.

Dan is the second most frightening individual in the camp after Cy. The way he can just kill with no remorse like that.

I think you're right about this episode being more of a setup for future episodes. It really was Dourif's best performance thus far.

As for the Bullocks, they're trying to make it work, but right now it's so forced, but they're on the right path.

I was pretty surprised to see Miss Isringhausen show up at Adams' room. I feel bad for her but I'm not really sure why she feels Mrs. Garret will have her killed. I'm wondering if she's just really upset and looking for revenge and hoping Adams will do something about it.

I like how E.B.'s such a bad liar, especially when he was talking to Garret. That was pretty funny to watch. That poor Richardson guy probably thinks E.B.'s going crazy.

Wilcox just needs to fuck. He's a weirdo.

The guy who plays Wilcox is the same one who played Jack McCall, right? If not, they sure have an uncanny resemblence.

It also looks like (from next week's previews) that Alma is pregnant. I'd rather see she and Bullock together than Bullock and his brother's widow (though his new wife seems a good person.)

Wilcox and McCall are indeed played by the same actor, Garret Dillahunt. I noticed that resemblence too but didn't think much about it until you mentioned it. Nice catch!

Another killer ep last night. Jance and the Doc were at the top of their game as always, though I wish Jane would get involved with the actual plot a bit instead of just being comic relief.

Al is back and I love how his first act was to call Bullock to action. I also love the comissioners weasly public statement about the claims, or as the mob leader put it, "mitigating an ass-fucking" :LOL:

It was another great episode. It was cool to see Richard Gant (Captain MacDougan from B5) in this episode as Hostetler. I'm a little confused as to just who that other guy is and what he's all about...the guy that calls himself the Nigger General.

Alma's pregnant. It'll be interesting to see how all that works out with Bullock and all. It looks like Ms. Ingrishausen is going to try to have Garret killed.

Richardson cracked me up, standing by that cart all day with the antlers. He needs to get laid.

The Nigger General is a messenger who seems to pretend to have served in the Civil War on the Union side. It's an affectation (like people who carry a vanity cane). I think that's why Jane took to him- they both put out a strong front against the world as a protection. It is also possible he thinks white people might treat him better if he served for them.

It was very jarring to see the mob turn on him, though. It's one of those things that only made sense after the episode was over. They were pissed off about the comissioner's "announcement" (and rightly so) but unfortunately wished to resort to violence. Once mob mentality gets a hold, reason flies out the window. Their "plan" to hunt down the Nigger General in order to distract Bullock was dropped in the rage and violence of venting out their anger on a someone they view as subhuman.

Note that when he saw a gathering mob, the NG knew he had to hide.

Walcott is a fucking psycho, killing people in cold blood just like that. I wonder if he'll try and go after Joanie despite Cy's suggestion not to.

Now Bullock knows Alma's pregnant. Trixie's trying to get Elsworth to marry her to help her save face by having a baby out of wedlock. I wonder if she'll go along with it and how Bullock's going to react to all this.

What the fuck was up the dude and the horse? Some of these people have serious issues. I'm still don't really understand why they let him go.

"Why don't you come upstairs and fuck me?"

Woa, Ms. Isringhausen!!!!

Al is back, baby!

"He looks in my eyes when he fucks... all longing like"

Indeed.

And dig Saul the comedian

"I'm sorry about bringing Trixie into it and about what I called her."
"It wasn't exactly new information."

"If this continues we'll have to fight and you'll have to mind the store alone while I convalesce."

With the beginning of a bank, perhaps Trixie's "Jewish lessons" will pay off.

Mr W is now officially Cy's punk. Damn what a sicko, but we already knew that. Someone suggested elsewhere that hte real reason he killed the second girl was because she saw him with his pants down (!)

Was Joanie heading towards Al's at the end of the ep?

What the fuck was up the dude and the horse? Some of these people have serious issues. I'm still don't really understand why they let him go.
Yeah, that whole scenario seemed out of place to me, not to mention weird as f*ck. And was the guy really f*cking the horse or jacking off on it? And why wouldn't they just blackmail the guy? I know I would.

Well they were blackmailing him. You can blackmail soneone into doing the right thing.

And given the angle they showed, no, I don't think he was actually fucking the horse.

Still I don't truly get her deep hatred for Bullock.

I think this goes along with Trixie not knowing what to do with how Saul is treating her (like a Lady.) In Season 1, she saw Bullock and the widow hook up and he was very much a gentleman to her, very chivalrous, etc. She's not used to that, but I imagine there's something inside of her that is happy for the widow (albeit a little jealous.)

Now that Bullock has gone to his new "wife," I think Trixie is reminded yet again that men can be jerks, at least in her eyes. Bullock is indeed in a no-win situation, but I think Trixie's holding him accountable for all mens' mistakes. Or, maybe she knows that Al is Al and he never tries to hide who he is. She could view Bullock as the same as Al (inside) and doing his best to put on airs.

Not sure. She's pretty confusing at times. =)

I just gotta say that the consistent quality of this show is outstanding. Right now, I'm ranking it as my 2nd favorite series of all-time after Babylon 5.

Drama in the Bullock house! She knows about Seth and Alma, and she seems pretty pissed. I like how Elsworth proposed to her. I wonder if she'll accept.

It seemed kind of stupid but having a bicycle probably was a pretty big event back then. It was funny how everyone showed up to watch Nuttal give it a ride.

It sure does suck that each season is only 12 episodes. We only have a handful left this season.

The episodes get better and better. I love the political intrigue. I think that's why I can compare it to a show like B5 (in quality.)

Ellsworth proposing was so touching and you could see Alma was very moved by his gesture. I love that she's one of the strongest characters in the camp and she does so while remaining prim and proper and ladylike. :) You go girl!

Oh, and that Pinkerton hootchie needs to be slapped.

Oh, and that Pinkerton hootchie needs to be slapped.

Her character has changed dramatically. When the season first started I assumed she was just some useless extra background person. I certainly didn't expect her to become such a central part of the plot. She's kind of weird though.

Well another delightful episode.

A Russian telegraph guy? Interesting.

The condition of the Chinese hookers freaked me out. I don't even know if we can call them hooker 'cause they were forced into it. And Cy's attitude towards them... god I hope he gets hurt.

Even Walcott cracked a smile at the bicycle. It was refreshing to see just some good ol' fun in the camp. It was a needed respite for the mine workers considering they are now basically indentured servants. George Hearst is the Walmart of Deadwood.

Ellsworth's proposal went pretty much like I expected and was cute. He, Utter, Merick and Sol look like the only actually "good" people in the camp.

I hope they do something with Jane. I think according to history she lives for a good while longer, so she has to clean up soon.

I also hope Jonie gets back up on her feet. Deadwood needs a classical brothel like the Chez Ami.

I adore Joni. I keep hoping Jane helps her get the whorehouse running again. I've read that Jane was possibly into the whore business (either herself or whatnot.) As long as Joni doesn't go back to Cy, I'm fine. He's an evil C* S*er for sure.

I read somewhere (historical site) that Swearengen's place burnt down a few times over the course of its existence. Poor guy. Ha!

The historical Jane was an on-again, off-again prostitute, turning tricks while traveling and then again in Deadwood.

I also know what eventually happens to Al Swearingen. Suffice it to say that I also have figured out the best way to put it in the show.

Back