• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Mr Morden

In the episode where Morden is seen talking to President Clark how did morden manage to get so far in the earth alliance to gain the prez's trust to do what he said he would do.Which of course is to take out President Santiago ? Any thoughts ?

Without having any proper i.d. or anything, that is a good question.

I think I've always just assumed that he got in with the big guys on Earth the same way he did with Londo: by arranging to have important favors done for people in high places.

But you would think someone would want to check into the background of this guy who is getting near the president, wouldn't you?

That was my thought as well you wouldn't want to let some strange guy near the prsident without doing a background check .Something JMS never explained in detail.

(Spoilers for "The Shadow Within," I think....)

Doesn't "The Shadow Within" say that Morden worked for New Technologies, one of those secret agencies in EarthForce? He probably got in touch with his old people there, started feeding them Shadow tech, and then met Clark that way.

Maybe Morden just spoke to Clark over a com link, and didn't see him in person.

It's not too hard. With the help of the Shadows put the Vice President in a bad position and then "help" him so he is eternally gratefull just like he did with Londo. Then a quick "What do you want" gets him to knock off the Pres. Shadow tech couldn't hurt either. Also contacts within the Psi-corp and other senators he could easily bribe with the thought of power.

People will do almost anything for power, fame, and money.

Hypatia, I think turning the question around is more pertinent. How did the PsyCorps stand being around the Shadows, and picking up on them? Look at how Talia and Lyta were affected. I don't think that being around teeps worried the Shadows, since they were in league with PsyCorps, and it was really the human CPUs of their ships that could be threatened, not the individual Shadows.

I think that by the time Morden was dealing directly with Clark there had been much cooperation between Shadows and their emissaries, and Earthdome/PsyCorps at lower levels, and Clark knew that Morden was a representative of his powerful new 'friends.' Morden may well have been the one to initiate the first contact, at lower levels. He might also have told them about the expedition that brought him into contact with the Shadows, and or Clark's people may have investigated Morden, and discovered his original identity. Considering the kinds of things he could offer, I doubt any of this would have bothered them.

:LOL: :LOL: Eclipse, that is great! :LOL:

It wouldn't be hard to sneak Morden into his office. I remember Morden being on Earth and talking to a Psi-Cop and an Earth Official and the official saying "Carefull, you could have been seen". So, sneaking around, paying people to look the other direction, favors...etc.

Hey, was morden ever mentioned as being the voice talking to President Clark in the recording recovered by Ivonova from the Great Machine?

You all make excellent points here. I really have to get back into B5 one of these days. I've been DS9'ing lately. :eek:

Hypatia, I think turning the question around is more pertinent. How did the PsyCorps stand being around the Shadows, and picking up on them? Look at how Talia and Lyta were affected. I don't think that being around teeps worried the Shadows, since they were in league with PsyCorps, and it was really the human CPUs of their ships that could be threatened, not the individual Shadows.

Excellent point. Thanks JJ. :) :cool: :D

Was there any direct indication that a telepath could actually pick up on the shadows themselves ??
There were several that they could pick up on the humans with Brain implants.

I always presumed there were enough people in the government to be open to an "alliance" with the Shadows and thus just accepted Morden as their go-between guy. They did find the Shadow ship buried on Mars so they had an idea of such beings at least a few years before Morden became active (at least active as far as we know). The Icarus was sent to the Rim following the Shadow ship even if all / most the crew didn't know it, right? So there had to be some people in the government who knew of both the ships on Mars and the mission to Z'ha'dum and that Morden was on it. So when Morden showed up later with whatever proof of these powerful beings and that they wanted to "help" the Earthers, those in the Know easily accepted him and just made all the appropiate doors open for him.

Though I do wonder why he was never given a new name and a new peronal history file so no one could connect him with the Icarus. I'm surrpised his IDent card worked even if all public databases had him listed as dead for a few years!

Was there any direct indication that a telepath could actually pick up on the shadows themselves ??
There were several that they could pick up on the humans with Brain implants.
Yes, in "In the Shadow of Z'ha'dum" Talia screams when she meets the Shadows in the corridor.

Though I do wonder why he was never given a new name and a new peronal history file so no one could connect him with the Icarus. I'm surrpised his IDent card worked even if all public databases had him listed as dead for a few years!

Morton was slipped back into circulation quietly, and he's careful about who he contacts (notice that he never approaches an Earther in Signs and Portents---there's a number of reasons for this). Having a false identity might have raised questions--especially of why he had one. Creating one within EarthGov (which would be necessary) also could have attracted some unwanted attention.

In "In the Shadow of Z'ha'dum," Garibaldi explains that they don't get every death certificate from every ship, and because Morton didn't do anything wrong, no red flags were raised. Since the Icarus had a crew of about 140 people and blew up years before, it was a risk that one member wouldn't be noticed if he discretely showed up in secret meetings.

Besides, given that the Shadows already had contacts within EarthGov and PsiCorps (remember that PsiCorps endorsed Clark, and that Clark "always wanted to get rid of Santiago), I'm pretty sure steps were taken that Morton's passage would go unnoticed by most people. It was by chance that Sheridan found out Morton was alive, not through normal proceedures.

Welcome to the board, Kalen! I see you have posted several thoughtful posts, and obviously have a good grasp on our favorite subject, B5. But, it's Morden, not Morton, and just to clear it up, although your reply is addressed to me, the quote is from Lodhan. :D

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back