• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

AFI's 100 movie quotes

Re: AFI\'s 100 movie quotes

You seem like a decent fellow, I'd hate to kill you.

You seem like a decent fellow, I'd hate to die.

^^^^^^^^^^ Back from an era where great comedies were known for their abundance of great quotable lines. Those days are long gone.

The Grandson: A book?

Grandpa: That's right. When I was your age, television was called books.

Fezzick: It's not my fault being the biggest and the strongest. I don't even exercise.

Prince Humperdinck: First things first, to the death.

Westley: No. To the pain.

Prince Humperdinck: I don't think I'm quite familiar with that phrase.

Westley: I'll explain and I'll use small words so that you'll be sure to understand, you warthog faced buffoon.

Prince Humperdinck: That may be the first time in my life a man has dared insult me.

Westley: It won't be the last. To the pain means the first thing you will lose will be your feet below the ankles. Then your hands at the wrists. Next your nose.

Prince Humperdinck: And then my tongue I suppose, I killed you too quickly the last time. A mistake I don't mean to duplicate tonight.

Westley: I wasn't finished. The next thing you will lose will be your left eye followed by your right.

Prince Humperdinck: And then my ears, I understand let's get on with it.

Westley: WRONG. Your ears you keep and I'll tell you why. So that every shriek of every child at seeing your hideousness will be yours to cherish. Every babe that weeps at your approach, every woman who cries out, "Dear God! What is that thing," will echo in your perfect ears. That is what to the pain means. It means I leave you in anguish, wallowing in freakish misery forever.

And this, mind you, is a comedy. :)

Regards,

Joe

Same actor in another flick reminds of this one:
"And why would the people follow you?"
"Because, unlike other Robin Hoods, I can speak with a British accent"

"You never said anything about killing anyone."
"I've hired you to help me start a war. It's an prestigious line of work, with a long and glorious tradition!"
"I just don't think it's right, killing an innocent girl."
"Am I going mad, or did the word 'think' escape your lips? You were not hired for your brains, you hippopotamic land mass!"

"That Vizzini, he can fuss."
"Fuss, fuss... I think he like to scream at us.
"Probably he means no harm."
"He's really very short on charm."
"You have a great gift for rhyme!"
"Yes, yes, some of the time."
"Enough of that."
"Fezzik, are there rocks ahead?"
"If there are, we all be dead!"
"No more rhymes now, I mean it!"
"Anybody want a peanut?"
"GAAH!"

Good old Andre ... his line "It's not my fault being the biggest and the strongest. I don't even exercise!" was absolutely true... the man was immensely strong but didn't exercise a bit, other than when he was in the ring. :)

I don't even know if Andre could really exercise. He suffered from a disease that was responsible for his size and really messed up his bones and whatnot. I was already feeling the effects pretty hard when he filmed that movie.

Andre died around the age of 40 or 41, if memory serves.

He suffered from gigantism, which is a pituitary disease... basically when you have it, your pituitary never stops releasing the chemicals/hormones that make you stop growing. At first, you just keep getting taller and bigger, but eventually your joints get too large. The skull tends to grow outwards across the brow, the jaw gets wider and thicker, etc. Eventually your body breaks down under its own weight. Richard Kiel ("Jaws" from James Bond movies) suffers from the same condition, I think.

Andre lived before there were successful treatments for gigantism. Paul Wight (aka "The Big Show" in WWE) was born with gigantism, but underwent a series of treatments in his early 20s that stopped the constant growth. As a result, he's still 7'2", and about 480lbs, but he's much better-proportioned than Andre was, and in much better shape.

cheri_oteri34.jpg

the-big-show-interview-20041209025142626.jpg

bigshow6ry.jpg

It is a shame nothing from The Princess Bride was in there, definitely. It's one of the best films I've ever seen. It is really done perfectly, and that's very rare for a movie.

Latest posts

Members online

Back