• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The new Dr Who - Season 1

And why did he say "We are not of this earth"? If he were an alien, would he not said "We are not of earth"?

"earth" is simply what one calls one's home planet, in this context. Being a being of another earth would not necessarily mean another version of our earth. Although I can't cite one at the moment, I think the phrase "not of this earth" gets a lot of use in sci fi, and doesn't imply 'another version of our earth,' but another world, or even another dimension, etc.

So, all planets are called "earth"? We also give them specific names like "Terra" or "Mars" or whatever?

I've never heard that usage until now. Thanks. :)

So, all planets are called "earth"? We also give them specific names like "Terra" or "Mars" or whatever?

I've never heard that usage until now. Thanks. :)

I haven't heard of that usage either. Earth is also a generic term, like moon. It also means soil. One's planet of origin is one's earth, other planets are not.

Yea, too many meanings to the word. :)

I don't think that's how it's used in modern sci-fi. But, words to evolve. Much to the annoyance of some. ;)

But I simply don't care how popular or easy it gets, "text speak" or "net speak" words had better not be the way our language is "evolving". LOL

But when and where have you ever heard it used as such?

That's what I'm curious about. Was it something used in earlier science fiction that was dropped later?

.. does not compute. Please elaborate. :eek:

--> I have no clue what we're talking about :eek:

I always thought that Earth was referred to as Terra and the sun as Sol for various reasons ..

* neutrality - they're not English, so everyone can deal with those names :D

* I'd assume that alien species' would have names of a similar meaning for their planets. If humans are speaking English with aliens - god knows why :D - both parties would get confused if they called their own planet/star earth or the sun.

I see no reason to expect that Minbar means anything but "earth" or "land" in Minbari. Same for "Narn" in Narn. As the planet Earth has quite similar names in meaning in most human languages - the Latin "terra" means earth or ground. The German "erde" means earth or ground. The Finnish/Estonian "maa" means earth or ground. I assume most languages are like this.

Russian is the odd one out, as the Russian "mir", aside from planet earth, also means peace. (correction - that's world, not earth. My Russian, obviously, sucks :D )

Just caught up on all my Doctor Who and Torchwood ... can't wait for the TW finale on New Year's Day. I loved the latest Christmas special, not as good as the Christmas Invasion, but pretty good.

The phrase "not of this earth" is interesting. There are several movies with that title, the earliest dating back to the 50's, and i've always associated it with B-movies...

I think its origin is in a paraphrase / intepretation of the Bible...

John 18:36
"Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence."

Problem:
The Church of Christ interprets this verse to mean that Christ's kingdom has nothing to do with him reigning from David's throne on the earth, but is rather a spiritual kingdom operating through the "church" since Pentecost.

Solution:

1. The Church of Christ reads, "My kingdom is not of this world" as synonymous with, "My kingdom is not of this earth". But "world" and "earth" are not interchangeable. The world Jesus referred to was the constitution or order of things.

1 Certainly, Jesus had neither part nor lot in the world of the Pharisees and the Romans. As Jesus continued, "my kingdom is not from hence" i.e., my kingdom is not from this place. The use of the word "world" is demonstrated repeatedly in John 17:

It actually seems to mean 'un-earthly', accordin to that site at least
http://www.wrestedscriptures.com/a07churchofchrist/john18v36.html

The phrase "not of this earth" is interesting. There are several movies with that title, the earliest dating back to the 50's, and i've always associated it with B-movies...

I think its origin is in a paraphrase / intepretation of the Bible...

John 18:36
"Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence."

Problem:
The Church of Christ interprets this verse to mean that Christ's kingdom has nothing to do with him reigning from David's throne on the earth, but is rather a spiritual kingdom operating through the "church" since Pentecost.

Solution:

1. The Church of Christ reads, "My kingdom is not of this world" as synonymous with, "My kingdom is not of this earth". But "world" and "earth" are not interchangeable. The world Jesus referred to was the constitution or order of things.

1 Certainly, Jesus had neither part nor lot in the world of the Pharisees and the Romans. As Jesus continued, "my kingdom is not from hence" i.e., my kingdom is not from this place. The use of the word "world" is demonstrated repeatedly in John 17:

It actually seems to mean 'un-earthly', accordin to that site at least
http://www.wrestedscriptures.com/a07churchofchrist/john18v36.html

Did anyone see The Sarah Jane Smith Adventures this afternoon. I have to say, given their comparatibe ages (as presumed by me), it has to be said Elisabeth Sladen has aged a lot better than Samantha Bond.

I watched.

OK, so a little childish, but watchable with some nice continuity references. Did you spot the pictures of the Brigader and Harry? Also two of the name choices at the end were Harry and Alistair.

That alien that Sarah-Jane was talking to was the same race that Tokisho got the pendant from in Torchwood wasn't it?

Yes, i believe it was. Presumably not an exiled criminal mastermind though. So K9 iis stabilising a black hole generated in Switzerland. The really scary thing is that back in August, my friend on a hubble team in Edinburgh told me that there was a project to create a miniature black hole in Switzerland. Now he's a Doctor Who fan, but I doubt he was pulling ym leg with advance script knowledge that early on.

Saw the double bill of Torchwood's series finale too

SPOILER

Does this mean Captain Jack will be aboard the TARDIS at the start of series 3 of Doctor Who (temporarily or as a permanent fixture), or is it set in a different point in the Doctor Whot imeline which we haven't seen yet.

SPOILERS AS WELL!!!!

No, he will actually be picked up half way through season 3 of Dr Who.

Torchwood finale was great, and I loved the Sarah Jane thingy as well.

EVEN MORE SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does that coincide with the confrontation with the daleks that will occur in 30's New York?

Back