• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The new Dr Who - Season 1

Yes, and that's what caught my attention. Kinda like: "hmm, they've got two black companions now in the new Who, why can't I remember anyone from the past who was a black companion?"

I wonder if Jamie was classed as ethnicly different or not.

I must admit though though that Dr.Who has been driven by white characters.Captain Jack has dealt with the homophobia so why is it so late that other races get involved?

Never thought about Dr.Who this way before,he was always there to save all of humanity.

Dr.Who with dredlocks and a big fat spliff would be somnething to see though:LOL:

This is the racial breakdown of Britain in April 2001
http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=273
Now 92.1% white and 7.9% other.

There were sufficient blacks born in the UK for a black companion in the 1980s but the producers probably did not want to be that controversial. In 2005 they could give Rose a black boy friend without causing a riot.

In 1970s Britain the black story was a stranger in a strange land. The character that fits that role is the Doctor himself - an alien. Thinking back although surrounded by white women the only one he flirted with was the Rami a Time Lady he went to college with.

Last edited:
I wonder if Jamie was classed as ethnicly different or not.
Jamie was white Scottish and therefore considered "English" (=White). The Scotsman complaining that he is British not English is a stock character in UK films.
I must admit though though that Dr.Who has been driven by white characters.Captain Jack has dealt with the homophobia so why is it so late that other races get involved?

Never thought about Dr.Who this way before,he was always there to save all of humanity.
Of course. Edwardian gentlemen had Noblesse oblige drilled into them. The price for ruling a quarter of the globe was having to fight to defend its population irrespective of their skin colour.

Jamie was white Scottish and therefore considered "English"

Oh my. You ARE brave. Was nice knowing you :p

I think the main difference between now and 20 years ago isn't the number of people of other ethnicities in the UK .. but that today, they'd be considered "British" .. which they wouldn't have been 20 years ago.

Not that I know why everything must be British on a show dealing with an alien traveling through time and space .. :p

Jamie was never considered english and European is the term used to describe "white people".He did seem a little more agressive than the average companion:LOL:

The Doctor never really flirted with his companions until the new series and Rose.In fact there was often flirtation between his companions as I remember it.Did Barbara not have a fiance that was also a companion?

It seems that the Doctor was not interested in the squishy side of love at all and lets face it we don't even know if he can perform in a Human manner,he is after all an alien.I don't think there was ever any inter species matings in Dr.Who.

Only at Christmas can you get away with calling even a fictional scottish character english:p :LOL:

I don't think there was ever any inter species matings in Dr.Who.
Well... there was Susan staying behind with David, for starters... for definite mating purposes, I would say. ;) And I doubt Leela wanted to marry Andred and stay on Gallifrey just because he was so pretty to look at... :angel:

Well... there was Susan staying behind with David, for starters... for definite mating purposes, I would say. ;) And I doubt Leela wanted to marry Andred and stay on Gallifrey just because he was so pretty to look at... :angel:

I forgot about Leela,probably wishing she was still single.Not sure what race she was supposed to be either,wasn't she picked up on some alien planet.It has been years since I've seen Susan in Dr.Who and I really didn't have a clue where she ended up.

Was there ever any inter speices kids or was that reserved for Star Trek?

I forgot about Leela,probably wishing she was still single.Not sure what race she was supposed to be either,wasn't she picked up on some alien planet.It has been years since I've seen Susan in Dr.Who and I really didn't have a clue where she ended up.

Was there ever any inter speices kids or was that reserved for Star Trek?

Leela was a descendant of an Earth Survey Team (Sever team 7) I believe, so she was Human, so she and Andrid were Human/Galifreyan.

Susan was half human, I believe, meaning someone in the Dr.'s family mated with a human, since she was his Grand Daughter.

Barbara and Ian were just colleagues, I believe.

Peri, a Human, took off with that Alien Warlord in the "Trial of a Timelord" season of Colin Baker.

I always thought Susan was adopted.Then again the Timelord thing didn't come into it until later I believe.Was the Doctor not supposed to be just a scientist in the beginning?I'll have to hunt my old books out.:)

I always thought Susan was adopted.Then again the Timelord thing didn't come into it until later I believe.Was the Doctor not supposed to be just a scientist in the beginning?I'll have to hunt my old books out.:)

I thought Unearthly Child (Or another early story) told us he was a Timelord? I kind of remember Barbara or Ian believing he was merely a scientist and him correcting them.

I thought Unearthly Child (Or another early story) told us he was a Timelord? I kind of remember Barbara or Ian believing he was merely a scientist and him correcting them.

Well, we'll have to find someone who has seen the episode recently or wants to do some research. But I could have sworn his "origin" was never really mentioned until the second doctor's seasons.

He was just an old guy in a time machine travelling the universe with his daughter. Now, is she human? It could be their are both from Gallifrey, but I just got the impression (decades ago watching the episode) that he was simply a tempermental (sometimes dangerously so) old man. But obviously I could be misremembering.

The Timelords came when a desire to explain regeneration came about.

I found a quote, from 'An Unearthly Child'

The Doctor: We are not of this race. We are not of this earth. Susan and I are wanderers in the fourth dimension of space and time, cut off from our own people by distances beyond the reach of your most advanced science.

I think most people would infer from that, that the Doctor and Susan are aliens.

I found a quote, from 'An Unearthly Child'

I think most people would infer from that, that the Doctor and Susan are aliens.

I would agree with that.

I would also agree with Hypatia about the Timelord thing.He was not evisioned as an alien at first,that came later in the story.I do know that The Master was in one of the early episodes as well so it most of been sorted out pretty quickly.

I always had the idea that Ian and Barbara were together as a couple.

The Doctor: We are not of this race. We are not of this earth. Susan and I are wanderers in the fourth dimension of space and time, cut off from our own people by distances beyond the reach of your most advanced science.

He makes much of the "fourth dimension" here. It's possibly "our own people" are simply humans in the distant future. :)

And why did he say "We are not of this earth"? If he were an alien, would he not said "We are not of earth"?

But your explanation is simpler in the end. It is almost certainly what was intended.

When the US funded telemovie came out starring Paul McGann, the writers opted to make the Doctor half human. That split people right down the middle and was neatly swept under the carpet primarily by Terrence "I ate all the pies" Dicks.

It actually makes a lot of sense for the Doctor to be half human, apart from him having more than a slight over interest in Earth, it gives him a justifiable reason to nick off with the TARDIS (the reason he was originally being pursued by his own people as a renegade). If the TARDIS belonged to the Doctor's father, he could have bequeathed it to the Doctor. However, the Timelords being the stuck-up self righteous nonces that they are... could have frowned on the Doctor as being an impure Timelord... being partly of a race who were emotional and reckless (humanity), and couls have sought to confiscate the TARDIS from him. The Docotor catches wind of this and flees with the TARDIS... thus begin the adventures as we know them.

The Doctor actually made reference in the new Second series to the fact he was once a father, so they haven't entirely abandoned that idea.

SPOILER for Series 3

We have been told by RTD that the Doctor will have his final meeting with the Face of Bo early in the new series and Bo's lat words to him will be merely 4 words that will completely turn his world upside down.

Current thinking among a lot of people I know who watch it are that the words will be along the lines of "you are not alone". Rumour also has it the Rani is returning.

Re: The new Dr Who - Seasons 1 and 2

The Rani is a favorite villian of mine in Dr. Who. The very serious scientist who isn't out to rule the universe or get revenge on the doctor. She just treats all sentient life as if it's just there for her to experiment on. Inferior beings, I'm honestly sure she's rather surprised the Doctor bothers with them.

Question about an earlier comment: I do recall the Doctor saying he'd been a father. But don't Timelords have babies, too?

Re: The new Dr Who - Seasons 1 and 2

The Rani is a favorite villian of mine in Dr. Who. The very serious scientist who isn't out to rule the universe or get revenge on the doctor. She just treats all sentient life as if it's just there for her to experiment on. Inferior beings, I'm honestly sure she's rather surprised the Doctor bothers with them.

Question about an earlier comment: I do recall the Doctor saying he'd been a father. But don't Timelords have babies, too?

Well, since Susan is his Grand Daughter, they have to reproduce in some kind of way.

The Rani, I too really enjoyed her. Anyone know if she will still be played by kate O'Mara (Probably not, since she's 67 now) or who will be playing her?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back