B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

View Poll Results: "Deepthroat"?
A -- Excellent 3 11.11%
B -- Good 20 74.07%
C -- Average 4 14.81%
D -- Poor 0 0%
F -- Failure 0 0%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 23rd 05, 23:32   #11
Chilli
High Treason Prevention Officer

Send a message via ICQ to Chilli Send a message via MSN to Chilli
Re: EpDis: All Alone In The Night

Have to give it a B I think, just for Sheridan's "What could go wrong?" before heading out on a mission he was not supposed to head out on .. hello? You're on a TV show? .. *NEVER* say "what could go wrong"

Damn though .. even the episodes of Season 2 that I wouldn't count to my favorites just seem great in retrospective though. I've been forgetting why I devoted myself to B5 like I did lately.
Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd 05, 23:47   #12
RW7427

Quote:
hello? You're on a TV show? .. *NEVER* say "what could go wrong"

Indeed. I have similar thoughts every time I watch that part.
RW7427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd 10, 21:22   #13
Estelyn
Commander

I too went "d'oh!" at the "What could go wrong" line - that was almost *too* obvious a clue! The abduction and fights with others on an alien ship seems a bit Trek-y, including the comment wondering if it was for their entertainment. I did like Sheridan's line: "The first obligation of a prisoner is to escape." That reminds me strongly of Tolkien's passionate argument for "escapist" literature in his essay "On Fairy-Stories".

The Delenn story arc is very interesting and important at this point, as is Lennier's loyalty to her. There's also the conflict with Neroon, that continues to escalate.

There's a very thoughtful moment near the end, where Sheridan asks, "Why am I still alive and he's not?" That is the classic dilemma facing survivors, an element of guilt that haunts them.

Kosh's repeated "always been here" lines add to the general feeling of mystery and building tension.
Old August 24th 10, 21:42   #14
JoeD80
Commander

Part of something that Joe said early on was that he wanted good sci-fi *and* good television, which includes building on those television cliches I think. Since a plot was going to unfold there anyway, why not point to it with flashing neon.

Last edited by JoeD80; August 24th 10 at 21:46.
JoeD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th 18, 21:57   #15
Looney
Ambassador

Okay so I just watched it for the I don't know how many-ith time. I think it is an A episode that could have been A+ with a little more of everything.

So here is what I have to say about Sheridan in the Psi Cop uniform.

1.) His being in the Psi Cop uniform might have to do with how much you choose to believe Kosh was guiding the vision; a warning to be wary of the Corps.

2.) As we learn at the end of the episode Sheridan already suspects the Psi Corps are behind Clark, so his subconscious is visualizing that he is, by being a member of Earth Force, working for the Psi Corps.

There are my two explanations for the Psi Cop uniform.

So beyond that I feel the only thing lacking is not enough of everything. I agree that the ship interior looks cheap, but what can you do. I wish we had more Hague and that time seemed to be spaced out a little more. I mean that it seemed a little too rushed how quickly they found Sheridan and that it seemed his captivity was too brief. I also wish Ta'Lon had become a recurring character then, but how great is it that there is a huge story that explains why he disappears and later reappears. And everything else is great.
Looney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th 18, 04:54   #16
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

A fine episode. While there could have been more Hague, yes, I love the final scene -- it's such a surprise since it doesn't fit the tone of the rest of the ep.

And the dream is pretty nifty even if it doesn't actually mean much of anything, other than "Kosh is watching you."

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th 18, 19:41   #17
Lennier's Tears
Ambassador

I recently watched all of Star Trek Enterprise and realized that "oh no, the captain has been kidnapped by aliens!" is a fairly common theme on that show Not on B5, though! So I'm OK with that storyline here.

For an episode that seems like it's mostly a one-off non-arc story, there is actually a LOT of important main storyline stuff happening. One of my favorite things about Babylon 5 is that there's almost ALWAYS some main storyline stuff happening, but there's still also room for character stuff, and for some levity instead of constant tension, which can get a bit much for me.

The General Hague stuff is pretty huge, but I tend to forget just HOW huge it would be on first watch. Suddenly everything changes! I mean, sure, there's been a LOT of background noise pointing in this sort of direction, but I'm sure I didn't really pick up on it the first time I watched.

The Minbari stuff is huge too. Those other Minbari are such assholes to Delenn. "An affront to the purity of our race." Yikes. I also find it's easy to forget just how big a sacrifice she is making for a cause seemingly no one else believes in at this point. Almost everyone on her entire planet is turning their back on them. Not Lennier, though! Ah, good faithful season 1-4 Lennier "Were you wak, I will walk. I will not leave you while you're still alive." Aww.

I'm very interested to know how Neroon came to be on the Grey Council in Delenn's place. Who voted for this, and why?? The three Warrior Caste members of the council, presumably. But who else? Religious Caste seems unlikely, because that's "their" seat the're giving up. Worker Caste? But, why? It later becomes a plot point that no one ever listens to the Worker Caste anyway, were they manipulated into this?

My random comments:

- Oh no, someone had to say "What could go wrong?" Do people actually ever say that in real life, when they're NOT being sarcastic?
- Lieutenant Ramirez, wearing such an obvious red shirt
- Everyone is very sad about Ramirez dying, because he got some screen time at the start of the episode, but what about those other Star Fury pilots who are never mentioned?
- I love how Lennier says "Until later, SATAI Delenn" when she goes into the council meeting.
- I am kind of surprised Delenn doesn't recognize Neroon's voice, but then I guess they don't know each other that well, whereas I have heard his voice approximately 12 million times rewatching B5
- LOL at Delenn diplomatically lying about the Grey Council's wisdom after she gets out of their meeting.
- I love that it's Delenn who saves the day/Sheridan's life, not for the last time.
- Had to LOL at General Hague helping himself to some booze in Sheridan's quarters.
Old September 15th 18, 20:09   #18
Looney
Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennier's Tears View Post
I recently watched all of Star Trek Enterprise and realized that "oh no, the captain has been kidnapped by aliens!" is a fairly common theme on that show Not on B5, though! So I'm OK with that storyline here.

For an episode that seems like it's mostly a one-off non-arc story, there is actually a LOT of important main storyline stuff happening. One of my favorite things about Babylon 5 is that there's almost ALWAYS some main storyline stuff happening, but there's still also room for character stuff, and for some levity instead of constant tension, which can get a bit much for me.

The General Hague stuff is pretty huge, but I tend to forget just HOW huge it would be on first watch. Suddenly everything changes! I mean, sure, there's been a LOT of background noise pointing in this sort of direction, but I'm sure I didn't really pick up on it the first time I watched.

The Minbari stuff is huge too. Those other Minbari are such assholes to Delenn. "An affront to the purity of our race." Yikes. I also find it's easy to forget just how big a sacrifice she is making for a cause seemingly no one else believes in at this point. Almost everyone on her entire planet is turning their back on them. Not Lennier, though! Ah, good faithful season 1-4 Lennier "Were you wak, I will walk. I will not leave you while you're still alive." Aww.

I'm very interested to know how Neroon came to be on the Grey Council in Delenn's place. Who voted for this, and why?? The three Warrior Caste members of the council, presumably. But who else? Religious Caste seems unlikely, because that's "their" seat the're giving up. Worker Caste? But, why? It later becomes a plot point that no one ever listens to the Worker Caste anyway, were they manipulated into this?

My random comments:

- Oh no, someone had to say "What could go wrong?" Do people actually ever say that in real life, when they're NOT being sarcastic?
- Lieutenant Ramirez, wearing such an obvious red shirt
- Everyone is very sad about Ramirez dying, because he got some screen time at the start of the episode, but what about those other Star Fury pilots who are never mentioned?
- I love how Lennier says "Until later, SATAI Delenn" when she goes into the council meeting.
- I am kind of surprised Delenn doesn't recognize Neroon's voice, but then I guess they don't know each other that well, whereas I have heard his voice approximately 12 million times rewatching B5
- LOL at Delenn diplomatically lying about the Grey Council's wisdom after she gets out of their meeting.
- I love that it's Delenn who saves the day/Sheridan's life, not for the last time.
- Had to LOL at General Hague helping himself to some booze in Sheridan's quarters.
Yes all great stuff. I agree that it would be interesting to know the politics behind Neroon ending up on the council; especially if it is due to the fact that Delenn has enemies who wanted someone who would far to her opposite.

And yes Red Shirt Ramirez might be a little too obvious. I guess the real tragedy isn't just dying. It is making the effort to report what happened before dying that counts.
Looney is offline   Reply With Quote