• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Technomage Trilogy discussion thread

Rate the Technomage Trilogy

• Total voters
Regarding their vulnerability, it took 3(?) Shadows, firing like madmen to take out a resigned to die Vorlon, ....

"Firing like madmen" ? That wasn't how I interpreted that scene. IMHO, Morden watched while the three Shadows engaged Kosh in, for lack of a better description, "hand-to-hand" combat. What you think was firing (presumably of weapons, unless you meant like Kosh did at John Sheridan, or like Ulkesh did at Lyta), I think it was contact energy discharges between energy beings, similar to when Ulkesh attacked Garibaldi's Security forces.

OK, discharging energy, if you prefer. But, there was alot of it going on, so, it wasn't an easy thing for the 3 Shadows to take Kosh down

Contact energy discharges. We've never seen the Shadows or Vorlons use personal weapons (e.g. if they were humans, a personal weapon would be a knife, sword, or PPG.). It's highly likely, given what we have seen in "Babylon 5" or read in the canonical novels, that neither the Shadows nor the Vorlons need to use personal weapons. They ARE powerful weapons.

From what we've seen, in close quarters combat, the Vorlons are much more formidable than the Shadows. It seems that the Shadows are genuinely afraid of engaging a Vorlon in one-on-one personal combat.

Shadows always rely on superior numbers when encountering a Vorlon in personal combat. They also like others, augmented by Shadow devices (e.g. Battlecrabs, Technomages, etc.) to do their fighting for them

Last edited:
"Firing like madmen" ? That wasn't how I interpreted that scene. IMHO, Morden watched while the three Shadows engaged Kosh in, for lack of a better description, "hand-to-hand" combat. What you think was firing (presumably of weapons, unless you meant like Kosh did at John Sheridan, or like Ulkesh did at Lyta), I think it was contact energy discharges between energy beings, similar to when Ulkesh attacked Garibaldi's Security forces.

OK, discharging energy, if you prefer. But, there was alot of it going on, so, it wasn't an easy thing for the 3 Shadows to take Kosh down

Contact energy discharges. We've never seen the Shadows or Vorlons use personal weapons (e.g. if they were humans, a personal weapon would be a knife, sword, or PPG.). It's highly likely, given what we have seen in "Babylon 5" or read in the canonical novels, that neither the Shadows nor the Vorlons need to use personal weapons. They ARE powerful weapons.

From what we've seen, in close quarters combat, the Vorlons are much more formidable than the Shadows. It seems that the Shadows are genuinely afraid of engaging a Vorlon in one-on-one personal combat.

Shadows always rely on superior numbers when encountering a Vorlon in personal combat. They also like others, augmented by Shadow devices (e.g. Battlecrabs, Technomages, etc.) to do their fighting for them

Yea, that's what I said. I never meant to indicate they were holding guns or anything, just a bad descriptor when I said "firing" and you came away thinking guns. I never got the impression it was actual body to body contact though in that scene, but, yea the discharge coming from their bodies, not a hand held weapon.

Yea, that's what I said. I never meant to indicate they were holding guns or anything, just a bad descriptor when I said "firing" and you came away thinking guns. I never got the impression it was actual body to body contact though in that scene, but, yea the discharge coming from their bodies, not a hand held weapon.

In the Technomage trilogy, the subject of this thread, I got the impression that it was body-to-body contact between the three Shadows and Kosh. Then, there's Lyta's line where she said "They tore him apart." Remember Kosh thinking of being unraveled, the introduction of chaos (The Shadows are agents of chaos.) into his being? Kosh is likened to threads being unraveled, scattered, torn apart. Think of Kosh's body as a muscle (e.g. your bicep) where the individual strands are sentient energy strands, and who only have appreciable strength when they are bound together as a cooperative unit, like cells in a battery. The Shadows broke through his encounter suit (devensive armor) and tore Kosh apart. Beyond the encounter suit, Kosh didn't resist out of concern for what a full-on fight would do to the station and everybody aboard. Kosh died for the team, the cause, and the beings he cared about.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back