• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

What did you do before ...

Hmm.... TNG.. and Voyager, or no, I don't think I fell that low at that time, that only happened after B5..... Or wait, it quite possibly might've been during, I'm so uncertain now...
I started somewhere in the shadow war, when it was all sheridan, and I didn't know who this sinclair fellow that they kept talking about was.
After watching it all over, I finally got the hang of how everything went. Then I watched it again, but only this time, they gave us the last season too, it only went up to 4 before. And I watched all the movies, well, that was before I watched B5 for the second time(fully, I have seen it two and a half times, since I only saw half the first time around)

/ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif@Channe

I didn't really have much of a life before I got my computer, and I have even less of a life now. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Dave,

Actually, I didn't get into B5 at the beginning. B5 wasn't broadcast in Columbia, MO, but I had a friend who made tapes of it. I spent my time at work, playing/watching basketball, toying with computers - especially my BBS, and not watching all that much TV. If I had a "can't miss" show, it was "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine." And after a couple of missed weeks of that, and I fell out of it.

The most important thing going on was rebuilding the community of friends I had around here. The collapse of the BBS systems in town pretty much left me alone.

One day, I didn't have much to do, so I sat down and watched the pilot episode of B5, which my friend had brought over. I liked it, and figured I'd watch the first episode, "Midnight On The Firing Line," which remains my favorite. Since my friend had taped all the episodes, I started watching through them. I was hooked instantly.

Naturally, the first thing I did was show them to my best friend - Dark Archon - who wasn't a science fiction fan at all. (He's become more of one in the past few years.) He got hooked immediately. From that point on, we waited for the next tape, and the next episodes - "A NEW TAPE! Let's watch it! All of it! Right now!" - right until TNT picked up the show for the final season. We watched every episode together from that point forward. It just became another part of our friendship - like playing basketball or getting a group together for board games.

Now that Dark Archon has headed off for college and isn't around all that much any more, B5 is sort of a fall-back into "the good old days" for the two of us, I guess.

What did I do before? I fought against boredom most of the time. And now? I reminsce about the fun I've had with close friends, the lively discussions and debates, and quietly pray for more stuff coming down the line, giving me another excuse to spend more time with the folks that matter to me.

In other words, B5's a great show, but even a show needs to have more significance to be really important. B5 found that niche in being a discussion topic with my best friend - hopefully for years to come. And that's a pretty tough act to follow.

That was when I was working in aerospace for Hughes Aircraft Company - Space and Communications Group. Making all important Communications satellites so PTEN stations could get the downlink signal of Babylon 5. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

Hey, no fair !!

As usual everyone else has a far more interesting story than me - but then every other Christian in the World has a more interesting testimony than mine too /ubbthreads/images/icons/crazy.gif

Back in 1993, my wife and I had just acquired our first TV, and saw an ad for this new SF series at around 11:30pm on C4 here in the UK. We thought it looked interesting, tuned in and got hooked around the time of "Babylon Squared". Unfortunately we somehow managed to miss both "And the sky full of stars" and "Signs and Portents" first time around. D'oh.

I think that came down to having too much of a life at the time.

We are currently beginning the quest to "educate" our kids (6 and 5) in the ways of B5 - and my son now refers to every space based show he sees as B5.

We're getting there !!

/ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif

Before B5...? I do not really recall a time before B5. Of course, I can't recall what happened 10 minutes ago, but hey... /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif

What I do remember is watching old TNG, some DS9, and reading like a maniac. Gotta pick that back up. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

I'm moving this one to general. It's off-topic, and yet, it still has something to do with B5, so yeah, general it goes! /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Hmm....What did i do before B5.....pretty much nothing but school and work. I finally found out about B5 during the 5th season. Right before that all i did was party, play magic: the gathering, and get royally fucked up on some sort of green leafy substance.....lol. Since then all i do is work, read, play guitar, play magic, and watch B5 over and over again. In other words, pretty much nothing has changed except for the fact that i'm in love with the single best TV show ever made and i'm waiting for more of that universe to come around to us someday....

Sinc.
Jerome

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>and get royally fucked up on some sort of green leafy substance.....<hr></blockquote>
Spinach ??

/ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

Good question that .. *g* Well , when I think about it I often watched my fav Star Wars-movies on video and X-files. I also spent time fantasy-RPing on the Internet ( writing in communities ) at various sites , something I found fun and something I still do when I have time for it. Though I loved many tv-shows , B5 was the only one that I had to watch or tape ( if I was at work ) every week! *smile*

Best regards
dawnchild

Hmmm. I used to be all about Star Trek TNG too. I think a Sci Fi show has always been my favorite TV show at any one point in time, I used to like a short lived show called Time Trax, but it got cancelled too soon. It was a lucky hook for B5, since I caught it, the first time, somewhere early in season 1 and saw a green Gkar and a pale Delenn and said "whoh, too wierd for me".
But around a year later, maybe more, I was surfing and landed on the B5 episode ... severed dreams I think, where the Centari Leader was trying make peace with the Narns before he died. That caught me, and then later on after seeing the Churchhill ram another ship to help win the battle to keep B5 free, I knew I was hooked for good. Still one of my favorite episodes, especially the ending with Delenn flying in.....**sigh**. All it took was a couple of the best episodes to grab me. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 2aMageing:
<font color=yellow>... severed dreams I think, where the Centari Leader was trying make peace with the Narns before he died.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>
The Coming of Shadows, perhaps? That's where the Centauri emperor dies, and G'Kar is all ready to forgive the Centauri and make peace.

One of my favourite episodes. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Well, I started my love of sci-fi by getting into the X-Files when I was in my early teens. I then started to realise that there were other sci-fi shows out there that were pretty good.

I took a while getting into B5 cause it was on at some ridiculous time on a Sunday night (when I was usually desperatly trying to do my homework!) But I came into it mid Season 2, and slowly fell in love with it.

Now I'm as big a geek as you can find! But I don't feel like i've wasted my time. I've enjoyed watching the programs I love, spending money on the DVD versions, and collecting my action figures. I've also come online and met some wonderful people through fandom ( and some right little trolls, but i've learned to expect them now)

All in all, I'm glad I got over my initial embarrassment at being a sci-fi geek, and that I can come here and spend my time with you fine people!!

Before B5, I lived under a culvert, ate rats barbequed over sterno cans, and read magazines so old they were thrown out by doctors' offices.

I sunk even lower than JJ before B5: I used to watch sit-coms. **screams** /ubbthreads/images/icons/eek.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by hypatia:
<font color=yellow>I sunk even lower than JJ before B5: I used to watch sit-coms. **screams** /ubbthreads/images/icons/eek.gif</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>Worse than that: Before discovering B5, I used to watch Voyager on a weekly basis. /ubbthreads/images/icons/shocked.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Dulann:
<font color=yellow>Worse than that: Before discovering B5, I used to watch Voyager on a weekly basis. /ubbthreads/images/icons/shocked.gif</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>So did I, Dulann. (Hangs head in shame.)

Back