• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Another stupid, trivial question !!!

My home PC is currently running the B5:Shadow Wars screensaver/multimedia extravaganza, which includes the line I have in my signature as a sound clip.

It crops up every time I open a piece of MS software, which I think is rather neat
cool.gif

But I am at a loss as to which episode it comes from and what Garibaldi is referring to.

Can anyone enlighten me before I go nuts ... fire up the VCR ... and start watching from The Gathering until I find it.

Not that that would be a hardship you understand.

cool.gif

------------------
DaveC
"Let me be the first to say that this is the nuttiest idea you've ever had."

Don't remember the episode title, but it's the episode where the mad bomber is blowing up things on the station. It's said by Garibaldi to Ivanova when she has the group of priests scan the various security tapes to try to find a person who has been at all the bombing sites.

And, of course, the idea works. After all, Ivanova is always right.

One of the few times I've ever felt that Garibaldi acted out of character. This was just unconventional enough that he could have thought of it as easily as Ivanova.

------------------

That's the strangest thing. I just watched that episode on tape and by pure coincidence read this after. The episode is "Convictions" (season 3, episode 2) and Garibaldi is reffering to Ivanava's idea to use Brother Theo and his group of monks to look for the bomber on securecam records.

The LOndo-G'Kar scene in the transport tube is really good. "Not many fishes left in the sea, not many fishes just Londo and me..."
lol.gif

------------------
"If it isn't then it's not;
and if it is, well then there you are."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Droshalla:
That's the strangest thing. I just watched that episode on tape and by pure coincidence read this after. The episode is "Convictions" (season 3, episode 2) and Garibaldi is reffering to Ivanava's idea to use Brother Theo and his group of monks to look for the bomber on securecam records.

The LOndo-G'Kar scene in the transport tube is really good. "Not many fishes left in the sea, not many fishes just Londo and me..."
lol.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Given your handle, it's exceptionally a great coincidence. If I remember correctly, the episode opens with Garibaldi talking to two Drazi who were coming to Babylon 5 because of the visit from...Droshalla.

Then again, when it's Babylon 5, I don't believe ANYTHING is a coincidence.

------------------

And why is Garibaldi sparring with Ivanova supposed to be "out of character" ??

His remark was only peripherally concerned with what was happening.
It was 99% a "Zinger" aimed at Ivanova, something he did all the time.

Remember Breakfast?

------------------
Do not ascribe your own motivations to others:
At best, it will break your heart.
At worst, it will get you dead."

[This message has been edited by bakana (edited January 31, 2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Remember Breakfast?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That breakfast scene was probably the most bust-a-gut funny scene in the entire run, probably because it is exactly the sort of thing that you or I (well certainly I) would do.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

------------------
DaveC

Oh ... and thank you for enlightening me, folks.

Knew I could rely on you.

cool.gif

------------------
DaveC

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bakana:

Remember Breakfast?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bakana,
The reason I say that that seemed out-of-character for Garibaldi is because Garibaldi:

1. Trusts in the power of "a hunch"
2. Likes unconventional solutions
3. Cares more about result than method
4. Gets a perverse kick out of Ivanova doing something that isn't strictly "by the book"

A verbal jab saying that at least it wasn't a bunch of knife-wielding Drazi would have been okay. Rubbing her face in the idea that it was because she went outside the "normal" way of doing things is almost a must. And he could have teased her and kidded her, and I'd have been cool with it. But skeptically calling Ivanova's proposed solution her "nuttiest idea," especially when he couldn't do one better, doesn't fit the character.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Rubbing her face in the idea that it was because she went outside the "normal" way of doing things is almost a must. And he could have teased her and kidded her, and I'd have been cool with it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You seem to be missing the point:

That's exactly what he WAS Doing.

------------------
Do not ascribe your own motivations to others:
At best, it will break your heart.
At worst, it will get you dead."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KoshN:
It was in-character because Garibaldi thought of the Monks as nothing but a hassle that he had to put up with. He sees no valid reason for them being at the station, and has very little faith in their abilities. Ivanova politely expressed similar feelings earlier in the episode when she said "If they're so sought after, why aren't they working elsewhere?" (or words to that effect).

When she went outside the bounds of normal procedures to enlist the help of the monks, he jabbed her about it because it was something she was uncomfortable doing (and he enjoys poking fun at her), and it was unconventional like something he'd try but she wouldn't normally consider.

It was in effect saying "Ha! Way to loosen up, Ivanova! You're starting to think like me."

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

KoshN,

Hate to disagree, but in the episode, that wasn't the way I read Garibaldi's body language and voice - that it was a friendly jab at Ivanova. Also, Garibaldi is about as subtle as a sledgehammer when he feels his approach is right - as Sheridan remarked in season 5 about there being nothing more annoying than Mr. Garibaldi when he's right.

If Garibaldi believed in the idea, and wanted to give Ivanova credit for using the unconventional while at the same time jabbing her the way only a co-worker can, he'd have made a bigger point of rubbing her face in it. Instead, it's crystal-clear Garibaldi skepticism along with going along with the idea of a superior officer while not believing.

I love the character of Garibaldi. Of all the characters on B5, he's easily the one who seems most "real" to me.

Joe

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by joev5638:
If Garibaldi believed in the idea, and wanted to give Ivanova credit for using the unconventional while at the same time jabbing her the way only a co-worker can, he'd have made a bigger point of rubbing her face in it. Instead, it's crystal-clear Garibaldi skepticism along with going along with the idea of a superior officer while not believing.

I love the character of Garibaldi. Of all the characters on B5, he's easily the one who seems most "real" to me.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If Garibaldi intended for his remark:

...to be taken at face value, it only carries any real weight if he has an alternate solution. IIRC, he didn't.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bakana:

Remember Breakfast?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He really should watch those zingers aimed at Ivanova, because then he still might have his hair.
wink.gif
laugh.gif

See Racing Mars

Ivanova is in Sheridan's office, talking to four smugglers, each of whom had, at one time or another, been caught on Babylon 5.

Garibaldi's hair loss is due to something a smuggler brought aboard the station.

Smuggler (far left): "You're even willing to forget about that business..."

Ivanova: "Yes, even though it did make Mr. Garibaldi's hair fall out. You had no way of knowing what was in that bottle. That's my story and I'm sticking to it, just incase he asks."

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by joev5638:
But skeptically calling Ivanova's proposed solution her "nuttiest idea," especially when he couldn't do one better, doesn't fit the character.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was in-character because Garibaldi thought of the Monks as nothing but a hassle that he had to put up with. He sees no valid reason for them being at the station, and has very little faith in their abilities. Ivanova politely expressed similar feelings earlier in the episode when she said "If they're so sought after, why aren't they working elsewhere?" (or words to that effect).

When she went outside the bounds of normal procedures to enlist the help of the monks, he jabbed her about it because it was something she was uncomfortable doing (and he enjoys poking fun at her), and it was unconventional like something he'd try but she wouldn't normally consider.

It was in effect saying "Ha! Way to loosen up, Ivanova! You're starting to think like me."

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

[This message has been edited by KoshN (edited February 01, 2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>
GaribaldisHair said
My home PC is currently running the B5:Shadow Wars screensaver/multimedia extravaganza, which includes the line I have in my signature as a sound clip.
It crops up every time I open a piece of MS software, which I think is rather neat
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is the coolest that you have that piece of software, too. I've never heard anyone else mention it, isn't it the coolest thing. Right now, my computer doesn't have enough RAM for me to have it. So I recently had to take it off. But as soon as I upgrade, back it goes. I personally love the soundbite from Londo, I have it when I shut down.

"And now, it is time for *YOU*, to go away!"

Is Londo the best or what.

------------------
YOU ARE NOT READY FOR IMMORTALITY!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back