• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

New Gallactica star tells old series fans not to w

PillowRock

Regular
Edward James Olmos was trotted out as celebrity window dressing by SciFi at a recent publicity gathering for critics. So what did he do? As you can read in this article in the Cleveland Plain Dealer, he told the writers to tell their readers that if they are big fans of the original then watching their new version would "hurt". He advised those fans to get the DVD's of the old show and watch those when the new version was on.

He also asked the fans to stop sending him hate mail. Apparently, he was not aware of the size, strength, and feelings of the fan community until he started getting nasty letters and e-mails.

I gotta hand it to Edward James Olmos, he always seemed to be the type of person to call 'em how he saw 'em. That being said, his comments only make me want to see the movie even more, cause I'm definitely no fan of the orginal. And if he made Bonnie Hammer squirm, then so much the better.

"Kill me now," Hammer said.

I vote for the pinata method, hang her from ceiling and we each take turns wacking her with a stick.

Finally, she learns what it feels like to get stabbed in the back.

Damn that was harsh.

I respect how the guy told it like it is to the diehard fans. Note he didnt pass judgement on the show itself, only that diehard fans of the original wont like it. So hes not trashing the show, just informing a few potential viewers.

I was a fan of the original show, and admit I probably wont like it, but I will watch it out of curiosity. Its like driving by a nasty accident on the highway, you cant help but watch.

I also give Olmos props for making Hammer squirm. Damn she had that shit coming after all her past manuvering and statements (about Rangers and even canning Farscape). Quality stuff from Olmos.

Holy Frack and Felgercarb. That was one hell of an interview he gave. If only this could make Bonner Hammer see the error of her ways.

Edward James Olmos was trotted out as celebrity window dressing by SciFi at a recent publicity gathering for critics. So what did he do? As you can read in this article in the Cleveland Plain Dealer, he told the writers to tell their readers that if they are big fans of the original then watching their new version would "hurt". He advised those fans to get the DVD's of the old show and watch those when the new version was on.

Blatant Reverse Psychology. Surely, you can see that.

The thing is, was this spur of the moment honesty that actually caught Hammer off-guard, or was the whole thing planned and acted?

When it involves Bonnie Hammer, I look for ulterior motives.

Even if Bonnie Hammer knew what the hell reverse psychology was, she isn't smart enough to pull something like that off... it's Bonnie freakin' Hammer we're talking about here... I think you're just seeing conspiracies where there's just plain old incompetence.

I have mixed feelings about this. I am not a fan of the original BG (too cheesy), so a new, improved version of the series would be nice. But this is SFC we are talking about here, so I doubt it would be better. And the fact that SFC was all too willing to offend the SF fanbase is not a good thing. It shows the contempt they have for SF fans. I hope a company that cares about good SF buys SFC & throws Hammer out.

Tammy

PS--SFC is doing a BG presentation at Comic-Con next week. After Olmos' comments, I bet that won't go over well...hee, hee! :LOL:

Tammy

Even if Bonnie Hammer knew what the hell reverse psychology was, she isn't smart enough to pull something like that off... it's Bonnie freakin' Hammer we're talking about here... I think you're just seeing conspiracies where there's just plain old incompetence.

Perhaps I just have trouble believing people can be THAT incompetent. :devil: Besides, anybody with an IQ greater than that of an earthworm knows what reverse psychology is. Chances are that there are a lot more people out there who thought the original incarnations of BG were awful, than there are diehard BG fans. Going for sheer viewer numbers (ratings), she'd be better off attracting those who disliked the previous incarnations of BG, those looking for a change, and alienating the diehard BG fans. If hype, controversy, reverse psychology and a little playacting might bring in more viewers, what makes you think she won't try that?

KoshN you just contradict yourself all over the place dont you.

Everything I have read from you, you are stating how utterly incompotent Network Executives are. Now you are saying you have a hard time believing that they could be that incompotent?

I also think your "reverse psychology" conspiracy theory is ludicrous. I mean come on, when is it gonna end? Do you REALLY think Edward James Olmos cooked this scheme up to get B-Star fans to watch it? Hell a lot of them were probably going to watch it ANYWAY?

No, I think the real "ulterior motive" is far more simple. Edward James Olmos was SICK AND TIRED of all the hate mail he was getting about a miniseries he was going to be participating. People flaming him as if he had anything to do with the creative process. He was an actor and a well respected one, and I think he just got fed up and decided to tell the fans what really to expect. obsessive fans can do that to people sometimes.

But you wouldnt know anything about that would you KoshN. :)

*cough*crusadefanatic*cough*

KoshN you just contradict yourself all over the place dont you.

Everything I have read from you, you are stating how utterly incompotent Network Executives are.

That's an overgeneralization. Perhaps, you haven't read everything.

Now you are saying you have a hard time believing that they could be that incompotent?

??? It depends on which network you're talking about and what their motivations are.

W.R.T TNT-Atlanta, yeah they're incompetent.

W.R.T. Sci-Fi Channel, if they've given up on doing decent sci-fi series, and now just want to go for any old thing that might generate an acceptable profit (e.g. their twenty-two $2 million dollar TV movies, Scare Tactics, etc.), fine, they might achieve that goal. That would make them competent, at achieving a lower goal.

I also think your "reverse psychology" conspiracy theory is ludicrous. I mean come on, when is it gonna end? Do you REALLY think Edward James Olmos cooked this scheme up to get B-Star fans to watch it? Hell a lot of them were probably going to watch it ANYWAY?

? Did you even read what I wrote, or did you read things in between the lines that I didn't write? Where did I say that Olmos cooked up the idea? Where did I say that it was a scheme to get BG Fans to watch it? If it was anybody's idea, it was probably Hammer's (or one of her advisors). And the ploy would be to get people who were NOT BG fans to watch it, i.e. those who were NOT happy with the previous BG incarnations. The idea is to generate a buzz and bring in those people, which is probably a lot larger a group than the diehard BG fans. Remember, the goal is ratings, not in satisfying a small group of diehard BG fans who Sci-Fi really couldn't care less about. After all, if Sci-Fi cared about the diehard BG fans, they would have stayed closer to the original story.

Before you start going off on me, how about actually thinking about what you're saying?

No, I think the real "ulterior motive" is far more simple. Edward James Olmos was SICK AND TIRED of all the hate mail he was getting about a miniseries he was going to be participating. People flaming him as if he had anything to do with the creative process. He was an actor and a well respected one, and I think he just got fed up and decided to tell the fans what really to expect.

So, he would shoot himself in the foot, right there in front of the ones who are paying his salary? So, he wouldn't have let on to anybody at Sci-Fi that this was happening (the hate mail he was supposedly getting) and what he intended to say? He's that much of a loose cannon, huh? Well, maybe he doesn't want to be in any series that might come out of this. Maybe that was his way of ending his involvement with it. Still, it's burning a bridge, and that could affect his future work elsewhere.

obsessive fans can do that to people sometimes.

But you wouldnt know anything about that would you KoshN. :)

*cough*crusadefanatic*cough*

Oh, come on, put your real emoticon, not this wiseass, pseudo smiley one.

I have never sent hate mail (snail or e), to an actor, writer, producer, director, or anybody at a network/channel. I may have told certain people at TNT and Sci-Fi where I thought what they did was wrong and the reasons why, but I've never sent them hate mail. In fact, I've actually discouraged "hate posts" that have cropped up on the usenet (e.g. from "Grannie Gillespie" on alt.tv.scifi.channel and rec.arts.sf.tv).

If me wanting to see a story that was already started, finished, makes me a Crusade "fanatic," so be it. I'd rather see one thing started and finished than a hundred started and left hanging.

Where did I say that Olmos cooked up the idea?

Well it is somewhat implied... If Bonnie Hammer developed this reverse psychology scheme then she would either have to get Olmos to go along with it, OR she would have to know what Olmos was thinking and then hope-against-hope that he would run off at the mouth about it at the press conference.

In either case, I don't think Bonnie Hammer is a good-enough actor to pull off that scam... the reporter basically said that Hammer was genuinely rattled by Olmos' comments and was doing everything she could to back-peddle away from them.

So, he would shoot himself in the foot, right there in front of the ones who are paying his salary?

Well, his salary has already been paid, hasn't it? And even if the mini-series becomes a series, they're gonna go out and get a cheaper star than Edward James Olmos... assuming that Olmos would even want to commit to series on the sci-fi channel.

He's that much of a loose cannon, huh?

Actually, he is somewhat of a loose cannon... I can still remember his appearence on Politically Incorrect years ago... the guy speaks his mind.

Yes, I agree that Olmos calls it like he sees it, an everyone who doesn't like it can be damned. If you like Olmos, see the film Zoot Suit where he plays the mythical "El Pachuco."

And, Xyzl, Bonnie would make a lousy pinata. No candy and prizes inside. :D ;) :D :p

Where did I say that Olmos cooked up the idea?

Well it is somewhat implied... If Bonnie Hammer developed this reverse psychology scheme then she would either have to get Olmos to go along with it, ...

That's what I was thinking. I had no intention of implying that Olmos would have been the one who thought up the idea.

...OR she would have to know what Olmos was thinking and then hope-against-hope that he would run off at the mouth about it at the press conference.

Talk around the set could still make it back to her. Olmos could have told the writers/directors/producers about the hate mail he was getting. Still, this scenerio is much less likely.

In either case, I don't think Bonnie Hammer is a good-enough actor to pull off that scam... the reporter basically said that Hammer was genuinely rattled by Olmos' comments and was doing everything she could to back-peddle away from them.

I have absolutely no idea how good an "actor" she'd be. I've never seen her in anything but a still picture, and have never heard her voice at all.

So, he would shoot himself in the foot, right there in front of the ones who are paying his salary?

Well, his salary has already been paid, hasn't it? And even if the mini-series becomes a series, they're gonna go out and get a cheaper star than Edward James Olmos... assuming that Olmos would even want to commit to series on the sci-fi channel.

Recast Adama??? Wouldn't that be risky? He's likely to be the main draw.

He's that much of a loose cannon, huh?

Actually, he is somewhat of a loose cannon... I can still remember his appearence on Politically Incorrect years ago... the guy speaks his mind.

Never saw that episode. Did he say anything that would have pissed off current or future employers?

Before you start going off on me, how about actually thinking about what you're saying?
You said that this was a marketing idea of some sort cooked up intentionally ala reverse psychology. Olmos, Hammer, who cares who made it up. I just listed him because he was at the top of my head. Eitehr way your above post was so silly it was laughable. Then you decide to pick things apart looking for little inconsistencies? Heh. Dude, it wasnt some conspiracy theory. It wasnt a marketing decision. And Hammer isnt some evil genious who cooks up stuff like this nor did any other executive.

I think your post would have been funny humorous way if you meant it as a joke. But you were serious about it, and that makes it funny in a sad/tragic way.

1. Hammer and her fellow suits may have been aware of the hatemail Olmos was getting.

2. It is not all that far fetched, nor is it crediting Hammer and her fellow suits with some incredible level of intelligence, for them to have tried to spin the whole thing the way I said.

It's simple. They'd do it to generate a buzz, to try to turn a negative (the hatemail) into a positive (more people watching that show).

The only thing that's laughable is your tendency to take everything at face value. I guess looking just beneath the surface is too much.

Mmm, reached my breaking point with this whole issue. Snap!

1) Bonnie Hammer is not the devil. Likewise, she is not as dumb as you people make her out to be. She is making decisions within her capacity that she believes will further the success, ratings, and revenue of her channel. You do the same thing at your work, whatever you do. She does not get up in the morning, cackle, and say "Now, how many people can we hoodwink today?"

2) Crusade is dead. JMS has moved on to other projects. He has done this because he knows that between the people that own Crusade, the rights will never be released/whatever. I think we all need to move on. JMS certainly has. Let's keep talking about it, let's keep writing fanfiction about it, let's keep dreaming about what could have been, but for heaven's sake, let's realize that it will never be!

3) In the end, it's just a TV show. For those of us who barely have enough money to cover the bills every month, DVD's are a luxury to be dreamed about, let alone bought and quibbled about in reference to aspect ratios. We're usually out at our second job instead of watching Must See TV and thus the whole media shindig in Hollywood means absolutely nothing to us. TV will not buy my groceries this week. What Edward James Olmos said to critics will not help me keep my car on the road. For me, this whole situation is a nice sidebar and a story which I personally love, but in the end it really doesn't matter.

4) Sure, Battlestar Galactica will probably suck. But in the end, American soldiers are still being shot in Iraq, little boys in the Congo are being drafted by differing factions and killing their neighbors at age 9 and 10, and the woman down the street is being battered by her husband even though she tells you she's just really clumsy. Go think about it for a while. Hate mail towards people who are just doing their job (i.e., Olmos) is stupid.

5) This entry is not aimed towards anyone in particular. It is a general rant towards whatever.

6) THERE IS NO REVERSE-PSYCHOLOGY CONSPIRACY.

Good night.

Latest posts

Members online

Back