• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

I'm speachless: Sci-Fi's New Programing

Re: I\'m speachless: Sci-Fi\'s New Programing

Hi There.I think crying is in order!!!
kleenex.gif

Colin.<*>.

I think both. :LOL: :rolleyes:

You're right, definitely both. :(

Here's an address incase any of you want to let Sci-Fi know what you think of the programming:

Mr. Thomas Vitale
Senior V.P. of Acquisitions, Scheduling and Programming Planning
The Sci-Fi Channel
1230 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10020-1513

"Mira Sorvino (Mimic) is set to play the female lead in the upcoming SF thriller film Final Cut for Lions Gate, Variety reported. Filming starts later this month." was the sole bit of good news on the page.

That's the weird thing, while Sci-Fi on TV is doing horrible, quite a few Sci-Fi movies are being made. It shows the audience is still there for Sci-Fi, but nobody wants to make good Sci-Fi for TV.

Just curious... Is anyone watching Tremors or Scare Tactics? Neither look worth it to me.

Just curious... Is anyone watching Tremors or Scare Tactics? Neither look worth it to me.

Me? No, and HELL NO!

<font color="yellow"> Originally posted by Mike G: </font>
That's the weird thing, while Sci-Fi on TV is doing horrible, quite a few Sci-Fi movies are being made. It shows the audience is still there for Sci-Fi, but nobody wants to make good Sci-Fi for TV.

That's because movies have a big budget, and so they can do some things better. The big, successful sci-fi/fantasy movies have a budget of $417K/minute to $833K/minute (assuming $50 million to $100 million per 120 minute movie), while the average B5 episode is ~23K/minute. Even the latter is too costly for The Sci-Fi Channel's TV budget. Sci-Fi was paying ~$16K/minute for Farscape, and they cancelled that. What's left? Answer: stuff that costs less than $16K/minute, e.g. cheap looking or awful stuff like Tremors:The Series or Scare Tactics. I have no idea how they managed to go for SG-1 Season 7. It's got to cost as much as Farscape and it's ratings aren't much better.

Right now, Enterprise is probably the best financed sci-fi TV show in production, and if they weren't on UPN, if they were say on FOX, you know they'd have been cancelled long ago. Heck, they're even in hot water over at UPN and are having to retool, to try and bring in more viewers.

Right now, Enterprise is probably the best financed sci-fi TV show in production, and if they weren't on UPN, if they were say on FOX, you know they'd have been cancelled long ago. Heck, they're even in hot water over at UPN and are having to retool, to try and bring in more viewers.

I'm sure lots of us--myself included--could nitpick over the detailed problems that Enterprise has, but for me it can all summed up to the fact that it's just plain boring.

Other than not being different enough from previous Treks, there's no huge thing wrong with it; but it doesn't really have too much going for it either. It's just flat. Boring. I wouldn't mind watching it; I wish I wanted to watch it. But after being spoiled on B5, Enterprise just isn't interesting enough.

What shocks me is, if Enterprise is having that much trouble over at UPN and would have already been cancelled on any other network, then how, oh, how, did ST:Voyager ever make it through seven seasons. UPN is truly a desparate network.

Please, somebody, give me Deep Space Nine repeats.

Please, somebody, give me Deep Space Nine repeats.

I agree completely. Voyager was worse, and UPN wasn't having crisis about it because this was before everyone realized that Trek was going down hill.

There is no one "flaw" about Enterprise, its just not *interesting*. Usually. Every once and a while they have interesting episodes, which just goes to show that they are capable of doing a good show! All the episodes about the Suliban and Temporal cold war have been interesting, and the ones about the Andorians have been interesting, so why can't the writers do that every week?

TNN shows TNG 3 times a day, Sci-Fi show the Original Trek every day, UPN shows Enterprise twice a week, Voyager once a week, but no one can show DS9? What's wrong with this world!

You guys should get yourselves Canadian satellite -- there are currently 4 channels rerunning DS9 up here :cool:

Getting back to the original subject (I don't have UPN, so I have never seen Enterprise & cannot comment on it), has anyone here ever been over to the Sci-Fi Channel newsgroup? There are two or three people there who seem to genuinely like SFC's programming & love to insult anyone who doesn't like the channel. They can sometimes actually depress me because I am sick of living in a cultural wasteland & genuinely want TV to get out of its' current rut. These individuals seem to think that money-making is all that matters, & not good writing and interesting ideas. They remind me of some DJs on a Clear Channel (shudder) station who defended Clear Channel's practices. I am finding this to be a very dull era & wish that something of punk-rock proportions would come & sweep it all away.

Tammy

You guys should get yourselves Canadian satellite -- there are currently 4 channels rerunning DS9 up here

Lucky Bastards. :mad:

There are two or three people there who seem to genuinely like SFC's programming & love to insult anyone who doesn't like the channel. They can sometimes actually depress me because I am sick of living in a cultural wasteland & genuinely want TV to get out of its' current rut. These individuals seem to think that money-making is all that matters, & not good writing and interesting ideas.

Do they happen to be on the payroll of the Sci-Fi channel? :p

Getting back to the original subject (I don't have UPN, so I have never seen Enterprise & cannot comment on it),

You aren't missing much. As the others have said, it is flat and boring most of the time. It's better than Voyager, but that's not saying much. It's not 1/1,000,000th as good as B5 or Crusade. The writing just isn't there. Archer/Bakula is more wooden than Sinclair/O'Hare ever was. The only interesting points are some character bits, and I think they're just the more talented actors (Phlox/Billingsley and the occasional guest star, e.g. Jeffrey Combs, Andreas Katsulas, J. G. Hertzler/Archer's Klingon Defender, Jordan Lund/Skalaar, etc.) making the most of bland material.

has anyone here ever been over to the Sci-Fi Channel newsgroup? There are two or three people there who seem to genuinely like SFC's programming & love to insult anyone who doesn't like the channel.

alt.tv.scifi.channel ? Bicker and I usually avoid one another, kind of like matter and anti-matter. ;)

They can sometimes actually depress me

Watch out! Bicker will say you need "meds." :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

because I am sick of living in a cultural wasteland & genuinely want TV to get out of its' current rut. These individuals seem to think that money-making is all that matters, & not good writing and interesting ideas.

Yes, you've got to be talking about Bicker here.

You guys should get yourselves Canadian satellite -- there are currently 4 channels rerunning DS9 up here

Lucky Bastards.
Im a lucky bastard, it's shown on UPN at 11pm in Oregon.

I hate starting sentences this way but...maybe it's just me but does some of this new program remind anyone else of when SciFi first started up? They had alot of "news" and "reality" programming. Most of those didn't last long so I wonder why they decided to go back to this format? The only thing I can think of if perhaps it's a matter of money. They don't want to take the chance and have another Farscape fiasco on their hands. The SciFi channel wants decent programming at little cost compared to a very excellent show (the afore mentioned Farscape) with a larger budget.

SAY WHAT!! In Oregon where? S. Oregon? I'm in the medford area, is it on charter? Satallite? I WANT INFO!!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back