B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old June 7th 09, 23:29   #151
for the one
Ambassador
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: The Pacific Northwest
Posts: 296
Re: Star Trek (SPOILERS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B5_Obsessed View Post
There never should have been ridges in the first place. Vulcan and Romulans were the same species only a thousand years earlier. Good riddance. Nero and his crew shaved their heads and adorned themselves with war tattoos after the destruction of Romulus.
So I take it you don't like the changes made in http://www.startrek.com/startrek/vie...001/index.html and later shows?
Like: Klingons having the huge rippled ridge and the Romulans having a almost Neanderthal like raised for head? I think they may have not gone into that much detail on the original show do to low ratings and obvious budget retraints. A subject by the way mentioned by the make-up effects guy in the Star Trek auction special. Then to just cleverly explain it away latter in [COLOR=#acacda]Trials and Tribble-ations[/COLOR] from Deep Space Nine; which touched for the first time on the obvious new look of the Klingons.

>>SPOILER<<
Then Enterprise http://www.startrek.com/startrek/vie...ENT/index.html, (and yes I know alot of people don't recognize or like it), introduced how Khan Noonien Singh [COLOR=#ccccff]Space Seed[/COLOR] & latter Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan http://www.startrek.com/startrek/vie...002/index.html came about through Dr. Arik Soong Noonien Singh's augmented experiments in creating genetic super humans, as scene in the Enterprise trilogy episodes:


[COLOR=#acacda]Borderland[/COLOR]
- When genetic supermen left over from the Eugenics Wars hijack a Klingon ship, Archer must rely on their creator, the criminal Dr. Arik Soong Noonien Singh. He is freed from his Federation cell, to help hunt them down but joins them.
[COLOR=#ccccff]Cold Station 12[/COLOR]
- Arik Soong leads his band of Augments to a medical facility where hundreds of genetically enhanced embryos are still stored, intending to retrieve them and bring them to life. The augments torture the crew of the space station with Enterprise in hot pursuit.
[COLOR=#ccccff]The Augments[/COLOR]
- In defiance of their "father," Arik Soong's Augments devise a heinous plot against the Klingons which will surely lead to interstellar war. Ending in a battle to save the Klingon colony, a asteriod field chase and a twist of a false ending; when you think their leader went down with the ship.

Okay so now you know the history of Dr Soong and his experiments in genetic manipulation. Then there was a biopic, the eugenics effects on the Klingons:


[COLOR=#ccccff]Affliction[/COLOR]

While Enterprise visits Earth for the launch of Columbia, Phlox is kidnapped and forced to help the Klingons deal with a grave threat toward their species. Cpt Archer launches back out into deep space to find out the meaning of this abduction. Which leads them to a Klingon outpost colony and Cpt Archer is captured as well. Where they do genetic experiments on him as a test subject for the genetic strain, hoping to stop their affliction.

NEXT THE SEQUAL:


[COLOR=#ccccff]Divergence[/COLOR]
- With Columbia's help, the Enterprise crew grapples with sabotage to their ship as they pursue the truth behind the kidnapping of Dr Phlox. They discover the Klingons used Dr. Arik Soong's genetic DNA from the super humans and fused it with Klingon DNA. It back fired and they started looking more human and the experiment almost killed their race but Phlox stoped it. However, they did not have the genetic enhancements they wanted in strength. Thus perminently altering their look in time for the Classic Star Trek series.


So that explained the changes to the way the Klingons looked.

As for the Romulans I figured they probably had a spy who stold samples of the super human DNA from the Klingons. [Since they have shared or stold tech from each other, for some time. The K-7 for example.] Thus the same thing happened to them on a genetic level. The Romulans seek help, then probably addressed the Klingons and learned how to prevent themselves from dying and wella they also look more human like the classic Star Trek show.


Quote:
Originally Posted by B5_Obsessed View Post
Nero's ship, the Narada, did not originally look as it does in the film. It was enhanced with Borg technology raided from a Romulan research base (shades of EA advanced destryoers anyone?) after Nero went on the warpath.
Fascinating, is that in the book or was that something Orcci said in a interview? Maybe I'll have to check the book out. Very interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B5_Obsessed View Post
The Enterprise was built in Riverside, Iowa to commemorate the brave sacrifice of George Samuel Kirk. It was also built 13 years later in this reality. The depiction of the ship being built on the ground was the choice of the filmmakers. They figured it was easier and safer to build on the ground and anti-grav units could boost it to orbit with no problem.
Again very fascinating, is that in the book or was that something Orcci said in a interview? Very interesting indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B5_Obsessed View Post
25 years is a long time to not re-evaluate your position. The following was edited out of the film: After being rammed by the Kelvin, the Narada was vulnerable and was captured by the Klingons. Nero and his crew were sentenced to life at the penal asteroid, Rura Penthe, where they spent most of the next 25 years and Nero loses part of his ear. Finally, Nero and crew plan and execute their escape and Nero utters the phrase "The wait is over" as seen in the trailers. They manage to re-acquire the ship (which has inexplicably not been stripped apart) and destroy 47 Klingon ships on their way out of Klingon space (which is referenced in the film). As for warning Romulus, I think Nero's feeling may have been that this alternate reality had nothing to do with his life that was destroyed.
Yet again fascinating, book or interview? Now I want to see the extended edition of this movie. Very cool thank you.

PEACE OUT.... Live long and prosper.
__________________
"You have always been here."- Kosh

CCC CCC CCC
CCCCC CCCCC C
CCC C CCC C C
C C C c
C CCC C
C C

CCCCCCCCC cccccccc
CCCCCCCCC cc
CCCCCCC CC

ccccc
ccccc
cccccccc
cccccccc
(My version of a 8 bit Atari 2600 Terminator)

Last edited by for the one; June 8th 09 at 08:26. Reason: SP CK
for the one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th 09, 01:49   #152
B5_Obsessed
First One
 
B5_Obsessed's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Orlando, FL USA
Posts: 1,942
Re: Star Trek (SPOILERS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by for the one View Post
So I take it you don't like the changes made in [COLOR=#ccccff]Star Trek: The Motion Picture[/COLOR] and later shows?
Well, the movie Romulans such as Nanclus in ST:VI had no ridges. It was made more silly by the fact that Spock was posing as a Romulan in "Unification" and was clearly a Vulcan.

I heard most of the other stuff from Orci but it is supposed to be in the comic. Riverside, I suggested, and Orci agreed that was the reason. Abrams mentioned the Klingon subplot would only confuse the story and cut it out.
B5_Obsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th 09, 08:36   #153
for the one
Ambassador
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: The Pacific Northwest
Posts: 296
Re: Star Trek (SPOILERS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B5_Obsessed View Post
Well, the movie Romulans such as Nanclus in ST:VI had no ridges. It was made more silly by the fact that Spock was posing as a Romulan in "Unification" and was clearly a Vulcan.

I heard most of the other stuff from Orci but it is supposed to be in the comic. Riverside, I suggested, and Orci agreed that was the reason. Abrams mentioned the Klingon subplot would only confuse the story and cut it out.
Absolutely facinating (hmmmm I think I like that word). Any how, now I'll have to go back and check out the movies. What I found odd about the different shows is no one could seem to make up their mind about what shade of skin tone the Romulans were. They seemed to get more and more oddly hued as they went along. They seemed near the end to seddle on a olive/tannish green hue color. Yes the Romulan face problems has not really been addressed that efficiently. However my attempted explanation, 'their fate being simular to the Klingons,' would probably more then explain away the complications. They simply became a devided race between the human like augments and the Neanderthal like raised for head kind.

Actually the 'devided race' concept is no new concept to Star Trek: Andorians, Vulcans, Klingons and now possibly Romulans; they all have a genetic split.

All that said though I am glad actually that the look is going back to the classic show.

But it's all in vain unless they bring Romulus back. I'm just so bummed about not being able to finally see the Romulan/Earth War we had only before heard about.
__________________
"You have always been here."- Kosh

CCC CCC CCC
CCCCC CCCCC C
CCC C CCC C C
C C C c
C CCC C
C C

CCCCCCCCC cccccccc
CCCCCCCCC cc
CCCCCCC CC

ccccc
ccccc
cccccccc
cccccccc
(My version of a 8 bit Atari 2600 Terminator)

Last edited by for the one; June 8th 09 at 08:49. Reason: SP CK
for the one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th 09, 19:59   #154
Markas
His Majesty
 
Markas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 18,407
Send a message via MSN to Markas
Re: Star Trek (SPOILERS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B5_Obsessed View Post
Because, I'm telling ya.
I should say something snarky here, but I will avoid it.

As far as I am concerned, comic book tie-ins and what the writer said off the cuff isn't in the story itself. It is just plain sloppy in my opinion.

Still, I liked the film. I will certainly go see it again.
__________________
"As far as bright ideas go, this is right up there with having my gums extracted." - Michael Garibaldi
Markas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th 09, 20:45   #155
Sindatur
Techno-mage
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,519
Re: Star Trek (SPOILERS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by for the one View Post

But it's all in vain unless they bring Romulus back. I'm just so bummed about not being able to finally see the Romulan/Earth War we had only before heard about.
Romulus isn't blown up until Spock is a very old man, there is plenty of time (100+ years?) for a war before then.

Plus, why do we believe blowing up one planet in the Romulan Federation somehow means the end of Romulans? They're a whole Federation, surely they're bunches more than just the inhabitants of Romulus. Remus is also populated with Romulans, isn't it?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th 09, 20:49   #156
Markas
His Majesty
 
Markas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 18,407
Send a message via MSN to Markas
Re: Star Trek (SPOILERS)

I thought that Remus was in the same star system as Romulus. I would assume it was destroyed as well, but maybe not. But yes, the Romulan Star Empire was comprised of many star systems. I would assume they would have moved their government elsewhere.
__________________
"As far as bright ideas go, this is right up there with having my gums extracted." - Michael Garibaldi
Markas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th 09, 20:56   #157
Sindatur
Techno-mage
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,519
Re: Star Trek (SPOILERS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markas View Post
I thought that Remus was in the same star system as Romulus. I would assume it was destroyed as well, but maybe not. But yes, the Romulan Star Empire was comprised of many star systems. I would assume they would have moved their government elsewhere.
A natural assumption, but, we often hear about Romulus and Remus when they're speaking of both, so, I assumed since only Romulus was mentioned, Remus was unaffected, but, as you say, maybe not.

Thanks for the ccorrection on Empire, don't know why I was thinking Romulan Federation <oops>
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th 09, 22:37   #158
Markas
His Majesty
 
Markas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 18,407
Send a message via MSN to Markas
Re: Star Trek (SPOILERS)

I don't remember the first time I heard of Remus in conjunction with the Romulans. It might have been an original Trek novel. They never mentioned it much.

And I wasn't intending to correct you about federation. I actually didn't think twice about it.
__________________
"As far as bright ideas go, this is right up there with having my gums extracted." - Michael Garibaldi
Markas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th 09, 00:08   #159
vacantlook
Moderator
 
vacantlook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Virginia
Posts: 11,925
Re: Star Trek (SPOILERS)

The only time I ever remember hearing anything about Remus was in the last TNG film, and I remember there being a graphic representation of the solar system in it that had both Romulus and Remus in the same system. But, Remus aside, I agree that there should be plenty of systems that are inhabited by Romulans if they're as big and powerful as they're usually depicted throughout the various Treks.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th 09, 21:36   #160
for the one
Ambassador
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: The Pacific Northwest
Posts: 296
Re: Star Trek (SPOILERS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindatur View Post
Romulus isn't blown up until Spock is a very old man, there is plenty of time (100+ years?) for a war before then.

Plus, why do we believe blowing up one planet in the Romulan Federation somehow means the end of Romulans? They're a whole Federation, surely they're bunches more than just the inhabitants of Romulus. Remus is also populated with Romulans, isn't it?
Heh yeah your right. Romulus still exists in the earlier time line (it was destroyed in the future time line. Feeeeew.... What a relief.... COOL!!!! BRING ON THE ROMULAN WAR MAN!!! YEEEEEAAAH! Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacantlook View Post
The only time I ever remember hearing anything about Remus was in the last TNG film, and I remember there being a graphic representation of the solar system in it that had both Romulus and Remus in the same system.
Actually the Enterprise show, (and yes I know many don't recognize it or like it), showed Reman in the background in many scenes on the planet Romulus. It was in the romulan trilogy:
[COLOR=#ccccff]Babel One[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ccccff]United[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ccccff]The Aenar[/COLOR]
Sooo yeah, if you only saw Star Trek Nemesis I can understand why you'd never heard about anything about Remus; or even for that matter it's people.
__________________
"You have always been here."- Kosh

CCC CCC CCC
CCCCC CCCCC C
CCC C CCC C C
C C C c
C CCC C
C C

CCCCCCCCC cccccccc
CCCCCCCCC cc
CCCCCCC CC

ccccc
ccccc
cccccccc
cccccccc
(My version of a 8 bit Atari 2600 Terminator)

Last edited by for the one; June 9th 09 at 21:48. Reason: SP CK
for the one is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:45.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2001 - 2018 B5TV.COM