B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old May 29th 09, 19:26   #121
GKarsEye
First One

Re: Star Trek (SPOILERS)

Ok lemme ask a "serious" (not really) uber-geek question:

Those of you truly love Trek, how much do you feel a little annoyed that Trek used to be "our thing" and now it's all mainstream. Now you got celebrities and attractive people taking their attractive dates to see our formerly clubby little niche, nerdy escapist thing. Isn't it kind of annoying? Star Trek used to be this thing that a woman would make fun of me for (like that scene in Free Enterprise when the red-headed skank is railing on the dude in bed for being into it "and what's up with Spock and those ears?!" and so forth) and now they want to come with me and see it? No, I'll take you to some boring-ass chick flick, I'm going to see Star Trek with my equally nerdy loser software engineer friends, thank you very much!
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th 09, 20:27   #122
B5_Obsessed
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKarsEye View Post
Ok lemme ask a "serious" (not really) uber-geek question:

Those of you truly love Trek, how much do you feel a little annoyed that Trek used to be "our thing" and now it's all mainstream. Now you got celebrities and attractive people taking their attractive dates to see our formerly clubby little niche, nerdy escapist thing. Isn't it kind of annoying? Star Trek used to be this thing that a woman would make fun of me for (like that scene in Free Enterprise when the red-headed skank is railing on the dude in bed for being into it "and what's up with Spock and those ears?!" and so forth) and now they want to come with me and see it? No, I'll take you to some boring-ass chick flick, I'm going to see Star Trek with my equally nerdy loser software engineer friends, thank you very much!
It's kind of like that Nirvana concert when Kurt Cobain started screaming at the jocks and fratboys in the audience, "YOU'RE THE SAME MO**********S WHO USED TO BEAT ME UP IN HIGH SCHOOL!". He couldn't reconcile that popularity would make him attractive to those he despised.

Still, most of us are a little more even-tempered than Kurt Cobain and there is always the upside that we will be perceived as just a little less nerdy for loving Star Trek (that is, until we open our mouths), although I don't really think the Trek nerd stereotype is ever going to go away, which creates quite a quandary for comedians and newspaper editorialists who perpetuate the "geek in momma's basement" image while simultaneously promoting how super cool and sexy Star Trek is. Of course, the way around this dilemma is to do like the Onion did and show geeks in Starfleet uniforms saying they hate the movie.

I'm glad it's popular and mainstream for the time being but I'm saddened by the extent of the changes and sacrifices that the producers felt were necessary to get this thing off the ground (and no, that wasn't a veiled reference to the Riverside, Iowa Shipyards). Once you shake hands with the Devil it's hard to get your soul back in one piece.

Oh yeah, Engineering sucks!

Last edited by B5_Obsessed; May 29th 09 at 21:12.
B5_Obsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th 09, 20:30   #123
for the one
Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by B5_Obsessed View Post
I left my nitpicker at home. There are far too many to count. That way lies madness.
Abrams made it ultra clear in a interview in Korea his reboot is a reimagining of Star Trek. He did not make it for the Trekies at all. http://scifiwire.com/2009/02/star-tr...r-trekkies.php I'm not sure the director intends tio fix the continuities but here's hoping. In fact he vocally was in direct opposition of Star Trek when he grew up when his family loved the show according to him.

Although the continuity issues are many and the writers own somewhat less then satisfying explaination doesn't seem to be enough: http://scifiwire.com/2009/01/exclusi...and-aliens.php http://trekmovie.com/2009/04/30/inte...alex-kurtzman/ I still feel my explainations best handles the continuity problems, (explainable by the Borg, Xindi & Sulliban Wars future tech time line tweeks). Although the lack of one concentrated phaser stream phaser fire in the movie, save maybe the ship itself, is a issue with me. It is nothing that can't be fixed. However based on the screen writers interview Ricardo Orcci, it doesn't seem like ether of the writers desire to fix anything. In fact they said Romulans aren't coming back. Yike!!! They don't want to fix anything much in the time line. They didn't mention planet Vulcans fate though. So much for the Romulan War that was talked about in 'Ballance of Terror'. I've only been waiting to see that since I watched the episode when I was a kid, that's all. Unless of coarse someone else does the writing, were never going to see that awesome Earth/Romulan War; major bummer.

STILL, like Channe, I REALLY REALLY LIKED THE MOVIE ALOT!!! I'ts great popcorn fun. Even If there is a void where a quality explanation would exist for the continuity issues, I had to take a stab at explaining since the movie did not do a sufficent job of it. But who cares STAR TREK IS BACK AND THE MOVIE ROCKS, TRULY ROCKS!!!!

***B5-OBSESSED- Although your contributions are always greatly appreciated I think the 'Kurt Cobain qoute' deserves to be on the ADULT thread do to it's graphic language. Remember little kids can read this post. No offense my friend. PEACE OUT.

CCC CCC CCC
CCCCC CCCCC C
CCC C CCC C C
C C C c
C CCC C
C C

CCCCCCCCC cccccccc
CCCCCCCCC cc
CCCCCCC CC

ccccc
ccccc
cccccccc
cccccccc
(My version of a 8 bit Atari 2600 Terminator)

Last edited by for the one; May 29th 09 at 22:08. Reason: SP CK
for the one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th 09, 21:13   #124
B5_Obsessed
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by for the one View Post
:
***B5-OBSESSED- Although your contributions are always greatly appreciated I think the 'Kurt Cobain qoute' deserves to be on the ADULT thread do to it's graphic language. Remember little kids can read this post. No offense my friend. PEACE OUT.
Noted and edited. Of course, it was relevant to this thread so I don't know how I could have put it somewhere else, unless I attached an appendix.
B5_Obsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th 09, 21:15   #125
Chilli
High Treason Prevention Officer

Send a message via ICQ to Chilli Send a message via MSN to Chilli

Quote:
B5TV is a website dedicated to a show which was hardly for children. As such, little children have no business, and no reason, to be reading threads here, any discussion on the show this whole board is about will be unsuitable for kids by default, and it's not something posters need to think about when writing their posts. One is legally not allowed to be here under the age of 13.

Which is to say .. Shit, Piss, Fuck, Cunt, Cocksucker, Motherfucker and Tits.

Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th 09, 21:18   #126
vacantlook

Quote:
B5TV is fairly lax when it comes to its members being allowed to use "fuck" and other "graphic language" in this posts, actually.

EDIT: I see Chilli got there before me.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th 09, 21:32   #127
Galahad
First One

Send a message via MSN to Galahad Send a message via Yahoo to Galahad Send a message via Skype™ to Galahad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilli View Post
B5TV is a website dedicated to a show which was hardly for children. As such, little children have no business, and no reason, to be reading threads here
Why, how very vorlon of you Chilli!

"We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."

Visit NiCK'S SANCTUARY
Galahad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th 09, 21:33   #128
Galahad
First One

Send a message via MSN to Galahad Send a message via Yahoo to Galahad Send a message via Skype™ to Galahad

Here in the UK, this is not a new phenomenon... it already happened with Doctor Who.

"We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."

Visit NiCK'S SANCTUARY
Galahad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th 09, 21:37   #129
GKarsEye
First One

I like the Nirvana analogy.

Green Day just released a new album. I freakin' love it to death, but everyone is all "they're so boring, being all political and crafting more mature songs.' So if I love Green Day's newer material, I should logically embrace the mainstreaming of Trek.
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th 09, 22:30   #130
for the one
Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad View Post
Why, how very vorlon of you Chilli!
HAH!

CCC CCC CCC
CCCCC CCCCC C
CCC C CCC C C
C C C c
C CCC C
C C

CCCCCCCCC cccccccc
CCCCCCCCC cc
CCCCCCC CC

ccccc
ccccc
cccccccc
cccccccc
(My version of a 8 bit Atari 2600 Terminator)
for the one is offline   Reply With Quote