• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Star Wars: ORIGINAL DVDs TO BE RELEASED!!!!

Ya know, I think I might give this a miss. Despite the fact I've wanted the OT on DVD for some time, the whole cynical marketing thing really sickens me.

No, we'll never release the originals. Right, you've all bought the SE's? Good, here are the originals. But they're only available for three months. And no boxed set.

Cut to 12-18 months later (i.e. mid 2008?); here's a limited edition boxed set. With all the same cr*p and a couple of extra bits you'd like. Now, bend over...

Eek. I've become a Lucas-hater! ;)

VB

Ya know, I think I might give this a miss. Despite the fact I've wanted the OT on DVD for some time, the whole cynical marketing thing really sickens me.

No, we'll never release the originals. Right, you've all bought the SE's? Good, here are the originals. But they're only available for three months. And no boxed set.

Cut to 12-18 months later (i.e. mid 2008?); here's a limited edition boxed set. With all the same cr*p and a couple of extra bits you'd like. Now, bend over...

VB

How very well put. "Never" seems to mean "screw you" in Lucas' language.

I'm glad I've never sunk one cent into any version of his films. But I've seen many a friend fall for his marketing ploys.

My first thought was, "Buy them while you can!" But on reflection I think I won't, not right away. I will eventually get them on DVD -- but I'll wait and see.

Some friends of mine will buy them, of course, but they're movie fanatics with money to spend. I'm not.

What with me wanting to get a high definition TV some point and with Star Wars being one of the films I will definitley want to see in HD, do you think they will release the originals in HD?

I'll probably get these.

I specifically refused to buy the sets without the original versions. Now they're putting out what I wanted. I'll buy it. And I'll ignore any later releases.

Damn his beard!!!

The limited release date thing is interesting. Sure to get the fanboys excited (must...resist)

I wanted to wait for these originally, but gave in and got the current releases. Probably not worth the extra cash now, but a great idea and about time too!!

I think i'll probably wait for the inveitable Blue-ray-HD-super-mega-Star-wars-all-movies-all-versions-super-deluxe box set.

VB

Sometimes people never cease to amaze me. All along all I have wanted was the original release of those movies. I didn't buy the SE releases in the late 90s. I haven't bought the most current versions today either. I wasn't going to drop one cent into ANY version until I got the one I want. Now that it will be released, I can't buy it quick enough. I might even end up buying the "improved" versions at this point just for the hell of it --- but I have no problem doing so anymore, because they caved in on the originals.

But there are people who, now that they can get what they always wanted, are finding reasons not to. I'll never understand this.

I don't think it was some super long-term marketing ploy. I think that over the years enough people screamed and yelled for them, and they finally caved. Yes, money talks. They probably realized they werent making money any more on the sets they had released, and thought if the do release the originals they would make more than ever. But folks, thats not a conspiracy or a plot to screw the fans --- ITS THE SAME ARGUMENT US FANS HAVE BEEN SAYING FOR YEARS!!! Fans have been saying if they released the originals that they would make more on them in the long run. So why get upset when they listen to us???

God damn it. I waited for years, surviving off my VHS taped off of the USA network (with commercials) never bought SE tapes, and waited until the DVDs came out. As much as I want to see Han shooting first and the older Anakin ghost thing, I do not want to shell out more money for this. I'm just glad its being released so that the originals aren't completely forgotten in the years to come.

Great news, yes .. but it does seem like an awfully disgusting marketing ploy. Haven't decided yet if I will get the DVDs, having just recently gone to a lot of trouble to get the originals on VHS, assuming that never actually meant never .. :mad: :mad: .. probably will get the DVDs, as I DO want them. Can't help being a bit annoyed though :D

Hey, I'm just glad I can permanently retire my laserdisc player and no longer have to worry about incorporating it into my redesinged home office/computer area/video editing system. The only reason I was doing any of that was my plan to transfer my THX LDs of the unaltered original trilogy to DVD.

Happy day!

Joe

There's also the fact that the Prequels sucked on a *quantum* level. So bad they went back in time and made the originals worse.

;)

But, in the same way that I choose not to buy Nestle products, and I only buy fair trade coffee etc, I think I'll choose not to give money to a business whose strategies I don't like. I think that's an OK decision to make, myself.

Not saying anyone else has to do the same, mind!

VB

Sometimes people never cease to amaze me. All along all I have wanted was the original release of those movies. I didn't buy the SE releases in the late 90s. I haven't bought the most current versions today either. I wasn't going to drop one cent into ANY version until I got the one I want. Now that it will be released, I can't buy it quick enough. I might even end up buying the "improved" versions at this point just for the hell of it --- but I have no problem doing so anymore, because they caved in on the originals.

But there are people who, now that they can get what they always wanted, are finding reasons not to. I'll never understand this.

I don't think it was some super long-term marketing ploy. I think that over the years enough people screamed and yelled for them, and they finally caved. Yes, money talks. They probably realized they werent making money any more on the sets they had released, and thought if the do release the originals they would make more than ever. But folks, thats not a conspiracy or a plot to screw the fans --- ITS THE SAME ARGUMENT US FANS HAVE BEEN SAYING FOR YEARS!!! Fans have been saying if they released the originals that they would make more on them in the long run. So why get upset when they listen to us???

You are of course, right, and I have little defence for my screaming fanboy whingy nature!

I guess the main issue would be shelling out again for movies that I own once on DVD, and twice on VHS in various formats, and that I have watched so many bloody times I can just close my eyes and watch them in my head whenever i feel like it. This is actually quite a handy skill in meetings with sales reps...

But all of this was my decision intially... Anyhow, its good news and I agree that is great how Lucasfilm have finally bowed to folks's wishes...

I heard about this the other day. I couldn't believe it. Now I can stop watching the lower quality bootlegs I have on DVD. :cool:

My problem with this release is that they aren't going to clean up the video quality like with the newer versions. They're just going to basically transfer the old VHS version onto DVD. Bastards

My problem with this release is that they aren't going to clean up the video quality like with the newer versions. They're just going to basically transfer the old VHS version onto DVD. Bastards

Where are people getting this crap? NO they are not simply "porting" existing VHS or laserdisc transfers to DVD because they aren't morons. These will be from new video masters of the recovered film elements. It is the film that isn't going to look at clean as the "special edition" releases because they aren't going to digitally fix even scratch and spec of dirt as they had to when creating source material for new theatrical film prints. For one thing, you can't take an existing letterboxed video transfer and turn it into an anamophic widescreen DVD with full 480i/p resolution - and Lucasfilm/Fox is certainly not dumb enough to release a hard-matted letterboxed verions of the films at a time when 16:9 TVs are taking over the domestic television market.

This is the kind of idiot rumor that get started when people who know nothing about the technical aspects of DVD write on the subject.

I guess the main issue would be shelling out again for movies that I own once on DVD, and twice on VHS in various formats

OH, puh-lease. :) I owned at least 3 versions on VHS, 1 on laserdisc and the current DVDs and you don't see me complaining, do you? I also know people who have owned a few VHS releases plus several LD versions in addition to the DVDs, including the "definitive" boxed set that retailed for about $250. OK, those people are bitching up a storm, but you get the idea. :D

Regards,

Joe

Speaking of rumours, someone told me this morning that the DVDs will include both the long-awaited originals and the remasters. If true, that sucks that you can't just buy the originals.

Speaking of rumours, someone told me this morning that the DVDs will include both the long-awaited originals and the remasters.

That's no rumor, it is part of the official announcement:

Lucasfilm Ltd. and Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment will release attractively priced individual two-disc releases of Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. Each release includes the 2004 digitally remastered version of the movie and, as bonus material, the theatrical edition of the film. That means you'll be able to enjoy Star Wars as it first appeared in 1977, Empire in 1980, and Jedi in 1983.

And yes, it does suck. :) As does the fact that you can't buy the original versions as a separate boxed set. Maye that will happen five years after the hi-def HD-DVD or BluRay 2007 30th Anniversary Mega-Set of all six films. :)

Regards,

Joe

And yes, it does suck. :) As does the fact that you can't buy the original versions as a separate boxed set. Maye that will happen five years after the hi-def HD-DVD or BluRay 2007 30th Anniversary Mega-Set of all six films. :)
*Maybe*? There's a buck to be made, I'd say it's a pretty safe bet. :D

VB

Back