• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

They changed the pikes...

Demonn

Regular
Minbari Fighting Pike

I like it, they're skinnier and they rounded the edges which means you can't look down through them. What do you guys and girls think?
smile.gif

------------------
A proud member of the Wind Swords.
"War is life and death is the only true peace."
war-demon@b5fan.b5lr.com

Any pike is better than a flounder, unless you wanna slap people with it.
laugh.gif

------------------
"We are the universe, trying to figure itself out.
Unfortunately we as software lack any coherent documentation."
-- Delenn

Where'd you get the photo?

I like that photo - it looks a bit more Minbari than the Babylon 5 pikes. As long as it still can be stashed in a purse or on a belt-loop, it's all good.

That reminds me. I meant to buy one for Christmas... should I head off to Narns & Noble?

------------------
The writer's life is not meant to be a happy one. We all accept that going in. -JMS

It's from the new report on props they have up on Sci-Fi.com. Also of note is what the caption reads on the picture. Methinks this picture is of a training pike, since it looks lighter-duty than the old B5 ones. After all, in B5, the pikes were established to be something of a trophy/collector's-item/object-of-honor, i.e. they were old, traditional (and great for kicking a$$ with :), thus they wouldn't want to change them. Or maybe it's just this year's model, who knows? :)

I can see it now...entire civil wars erupting over "my pike is newer than yours, nya nya nya!" :)

Cheers,
--mcn

It could be lighter-duty. I'd like to think that the Minbari have such technology to make pike metal dense enough to make something that graceful as deadly as the pikes in B5.

Santa must get me one for Christmas.

------------------
The writer's life is not meant to be a happy one. We all accept that going in. -JMS

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by channe:
Where'd you get the photo?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here... www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

Under recent updates... Features: Propping Up the Rangers: A Trip through the Props Department. They also posted some Q&As with Warren T. Takeuchi, those of you who are going to the chat tonight might want to stop bye and read up a little, It might answer some of your questions.
wink.gif

Well I see Capt. Neville beat me to the question damn... but my pike is better than yours.
smile.gif

------------------
A proud member of the Wind Swords.
"War is life and death is the only true peace."
war-demon@b5fan.b5lr.com

[This message has been edited by War-Demon (edited December 13, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> I can see it now...entire civil wars erupting over "my pike is newer than yours, nya nya nya!"
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, among the Minbari (and the Rangers) it's:

"My pike is OLDER than Yours!"

The Antiques are valued.
Remember a conversation between Marcus & Delenn:
Marcus' Pike was a Very Old, Very Fine one. A gift from Sinclair.

I believe that in "To Dream In The City of Sorrows" we learn that

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> it had originally been intended as a gift from Sinclair to Catherine Sakai.
After Catherine was lost in the Time Rift, Sinclair gave it to Marcus.
</font></td></tr></table>

Which tells us a Lot about the high regard Sinclair had for Marcus.

------------------
The 3 most common elements in the Universe:
Hydrogen, Greed, Stupidity!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bakana:
No, among the Minbari (and the Rangers) it's:

"My pike is OLDER than Yours!"

The Antiques are valued.
Remember a conversation between Marcus & Delenn:
Marcus' Pike was a Very Old, Very Fine one. A gift from Sinclair.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well yes Antiques are valued the Pike Marcus has is old but it is not the original design of a fighting pike.

Spoilers follow about what I remember about the origins of Minbari Fighting pikes and the Shadow war of 1000 years ago, this is from memory so if any detail's are wrong somone please correct me.

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> OK in the last Shadow War the one where Valen fought in he brought many race's together to form the rangers/alliance. One of these race's is called the Tak'Cha they used a long fighting pole for close combat. Anyway Valen improved upon the Tak'Cha's fighting pole design and made the first version of a Minbari Fighting pike. The Minbari Pike continued to evolve and improve. </font></td></tr></table>

------------------
Deviot
Lincbot@yahoo.com.au

[This message has been edited by Deviot (edited December 13, 2001).]

bakana, that's actually what I was referring to. Just couldn't remember the specific instance. And yeah, I knew the valued older better, hence why they wouldn't try to replace it with the new, Ultra-Fighting-Stick-Pro-SE.

Just mho :)

--mcn

I don't know, I saw nothing wrong with the old pikes.

------------------
"Crying isn't gonna get your dog back. Unless your tears smell like dog food. So you can sit here eating can after can of dog food until your tears smell like dog food or you can go out there and find your dog."-Homer in The Canine Mutiny

Yeah, the pikes Martel used in his video on the trading card looks a lot like the one in that pic. Plus, the sound is more like wood on wood instead of metal like the old ones.

------------------
Never start a fight, but ALWAYS finish it.

" The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate for the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise to the occasion. We can not escape history. We will be remembered, in spite of ourselves. The fiery trial through which we pass will light us down in honor or dishonor, to the last generation. We shall nobly save, or meanly lose our last best hope."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lennier:
Any pike is better than a flounder, unless you wanna slap people with it.
laugh.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

...especially if the flounder is cold and wet, works very well.
laugh.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 19, 2002 at 9PM & 11PM EST, January 20, 2002 at 5PM on The Sci-Fi Channel (US).
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cern:
Yeah, the pikes Martel used in his video on the trading card looks a lot like the one in that pic. Plus, the sound is more like wood on wood instead of metal like the old ones.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They could be "training" pikes, made out of wood.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

January 19, 2002 at 9PM & 11PM EST, January 20, 2002 at 5PM on The Sci-Fi Channel (US).

As long as the fight scenes using them are good ... then it's all good.

Admiral Dave, who's eagerly awaiting some real hand-to-hand combat.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Capt. Neville:
I mean, the new one just looks less...I dunno, substantial. Like it wouldn't hurt nearly as much.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unless it's the same weight in a slimmer body, in which case it's more likely to break bones.
shocked.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Capt. Neville:
It also looks too smooth, like it couldn't telescope out like the old one.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Antennas on radios are tapered like this, and they telescope out. Leave it to the Minbari to get the aesthetics just right.

The old pikes looked like they wouldn't telexcope out, because they didn't taper.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

I still like the older ones better but again I wait until seeing it in action....

------------------
"When it is time, come to this place, call our name, we will be here" -Walkers of Sigma957

I guess I also liked the old ones better. They looked more substantial.

But of course, I can't say anything for sure until I see the new pike in action (from that tiny videoclip in David's digital card I couldn't really make out anything).

------------------
"Narns, Humans, Centauri... we all do what we do for the same reason: because it seems like a good idea at the time." - G'Kar, Mind War
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by channe:
That reminds me. I meant to buy one for Christmas... should I head off to Narns & Noble?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
It would appear that I'm not the only fan of bad puns at this board
smile.gif

------------------
When it comes to thought, some people stop at nothing - Anonymous
You can't have everything.... Where would you put it? - Stephen Wright
The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your action - Anonymous

I love bad puns!

Too bad that one's not mine - it's from a B5 blooper tape.
smile.gif

------------------

Aww... I thought that was a good bad pun
laugh.gif

Well too bad, I guess I'll have to stick to Big Pun for now
smile.gif

------------------
When it comes to thought, some people stop at nothing - Anonymous
You can't have everything.... Where would you put it? - Stephen Wright
The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your action - Anonymous

Back