B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old September 10th 19, 17:01   #1
Springer
Ambassador

B5 article in The Guardian

So this little article is an oddity - one for our B5 defence squad, Looney!

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...hark-babylon-5

A more glib article I've not come across in some time. Apparently B5 'jumped the shark', and despite it being over 20 years ago they've chosen to write about it now. And G'Kar was orange?

I think it's fair to say that the majority opinion is that the Byron plot didn't work well, although there are people who enjoyed it. And while I think season 5 is my least favourite, this article does it a massive disservice in my opinion!

At least it gets people talking about the show, and maybe a few new people will search it out to see what all the fuss is about.
Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th 19, 02:02   #2
Looney
Telepath

Re: B5 article in The Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer View Post

At least it gets people talking about the show, and maybe a few new people will search it out to see what all the fuss is about.
Yeah you mean any publicity is good publicity. You know what is amazing. I fully admit that Season 5 is not my favorite season, but it is still pretty fraggin good and it really was just a couple of mis-steps that weakened it. With some slight corrections it really could have and should have relaunched the entire arc. I think one of the major mis-steps was that it was rushed, but that was the nature of TV back then. Now series get away with a year and a half to two years between certain seasons. Back then it had to be ready by the next season.
Looney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th 19, 19:48   #3
Springer
Ambassador

I think losing Claudia was season 5's biggest problem – and I say that as someone who doesn't mind Lochley and thought Tracy Scoggins did a good job. But Claudia brought an energy to Ivanova that was very different to the other cast members, and I never felt the show replaced her in that respect. She'd have livened up the Byron plot, that's for sure.
Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th 19, 20:10   #4
KoshN

Once Season 5 got past Byron (⚰️), I thought it got back to good~great episodes.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote