• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

New JMS/B5 book available to order

Sceptical. SCEPTICAL.

No... Skeptical! Is this ToMAHto vs ToMAYto syndrome?:p

Seriously though, three copies of the model were used in the scene. I’ve linked to two quick (and nasty looking) screen grabs below.

http://themadgoner.com/B5/B5Scrolls/Pic2.jpg
http://themadgoner.com/B5/B5Scrolls/Pic1.jpg

You have to look at the full sequence of them flying towards the ‘camera’, but it is without a doubt the same ship model.

Indeed it is...

Surely someone else noticed this before. Could make a interesting question to the man himself.

Indeed.

Nope, that’s regional pronunciation. Like Warwickshire – with or without the silent small w, a bit like good old Fenwick.

In the UK (as your probably aware) sceptic is spelled with a C rather than K. Why? Don’t know – don’t care.

Though there are some belly button watchers who do enjoy making a big deal about the world-wide community of sceptics with a K. Why? Don’t know – and still don’t care. ; )

How else did you think ISN had footage of B5 blowing up? I'd be surprised if their archives did go a million years back! It's hard enough compiling an archive going back 1000 years. ;)

Nope, that’s regional pronunciation. Like Warwickshire – with or without the silent small w, a bit like good old Fenwick.

My word... do you mean there are some idiots out there who DO pronounce the small w? That's almost as unforgivable as pronouncing the "ce" in Roman town names (except for the odd couple like Cirnecester where it does apply).

Bicester - pronounced ahhhh Bister
Towcester - pronounced Toaster
Worcester - Wooster
and of course the brightest and the best of them all...
Alcester - Olster or Awlster.

I know of several other Alcester's on Earth - an abandoned mining town in Canada, an island around Papa New Guinea and a town in the bottom right corner of South Dakota.

I don't know how the former two got named but when talking to locals in south Dakota online... they maintain there town was named in honour of a Dutch Captain or something bizarre like that. I can't see how this computes.

All of which is totally irrelevant to B5! ;)

Yeah, guilty. Good call, thanks. I read over the thing every now and then and still keep finding typo’s, spelling mistakes, wonderfully imaginative grammer and incorrect references. Just changed that one.

My word... do you mean there are some idiots out there who DO pronounce the small w? That's almost as unforgivable as pronouncing the "ce" in Roman town names (except for the odd couple like Cirnecester where it does apply).

Bicester - pronounced ahhhh Bister
Towcester - pronounced Toaster
Worcester - Wooster
and of course the brightest and the best of them all...
Alcester - Olster or Awlster.

I know of several other Alcester's on Earth - an abandoned mining town in Canada, an island around Papa New Guinea and a town in the bottom right corner of South Dakota.

I don't know how the former two got named but when talking to locals in south Dakota online... they maintain there town was named in honour of a Dutch Captain or something bizarre like that. I can't see how this computes.

All of which is totally irrelevant to B5! ;)

You hear it all the time, though I’d guess it’s down to familiarity more than anything else. If you don’t know the rules or even regional preferences then place name pronunciation in particular can be a bit of a sod. I’m Scottish and have a hell of a time with Irish and Welsh place names . . . . . come to think of it a fair few Scottish ones as well.

Last edited:
Try these local place names:

Cle Ellum
Sequim
Puyallup

Give up? It's Clee Ell'-um, Skwim, and Pyoo'-allup.

You just made those up. : )

[edit]
Just as a quick aside, seeing how this thread has wondered off in various directions. On the site; the ‘interview’ with Jack Nichols has been temporarily removed (it and others from folks who didn’t actually work on the show itself will be shunted into a different section).

It’s been replaced with a new ‘interview’ with Josh Prikryl – an animator at Netter Digital.

http://themadgoner.com/B5/B5Scrolls/B5Scrolls.htm#Screen1_08_1

Amongst other things, it gives some interesting insights on CG glitches and the like.

Try these local place names:

Cle Ellum
Sequim
Puyallup

Give up? It's Clee Ell'-um, Skwim, and Pyoo'-allup.

Ah yes... but I'm well into the four figure mile distance from those places, so I can be forgiven for struggling. You wouldn't believe the amount of people local to where I live who can't pronounce my town name.

First thing they taught us in primary school history was where we get the Roman town names from... it's just laziness.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back