• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

WHAT b5 region 2 cost 40£

Re: WHAT b5 region 2 cost 40£

Well... if this isn't outrage then I don't know what is!! Don't they want region 2 people to buy the damn movies??

I would sort of understand it if they did the same with the US release. But this sort of difference... plus the extra three months' wait...
shocked.gif

No way would I even consider the R2 release in such a case.

------------------
"Narns, Humans, Centauri... we all do what we do for the same reason: because it seems like a good idea at the time." - G'Kar, Mind War
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com

anybody know if there will be more extras on
the R2? where can i find out.

Joe?

That's Fsking annoying. I hope that there will be a decent amount of extras, otherwise I'm going to have to mess about with my DVD drive.

------------------
'I don't have a hat beuetuaufifal, only a graep. Give me a case for solving or give me dearth, or gets on a bus' - Detective Grape on ehad

The first link no longer seems to work, but I did a search on amazon.co.uk and it is true. They are insane. At such a price it is destined to fail -- and it may take the whole Region 2 release with it.

If such price differences are common, I can understand why the region code system is dying. I do not envy the people who have a region-locked DVD player. And I suggest everyone buying DVD equipment or software (even those in region 1) to make sure that they get a region-free system.

Personally I considered getting a stand-alone DVD player for a long time, but decided that there would be too much guesswork -- determining whether a particular model is region-free or not. So I chose a better-than-average DVD-ROM drive, making sure that this model has rewritable flash memory and hacks available to make it region-free. With a nice 19" monitor it can play movies... and I can always redirect output to TV.

----

The region code system is a malicious mistake which violatates the principles of fair use of copyrighted materials. A copyright holder has many rights over copyrighted material, but no right of choosing who can use it. The region code system constitutes censorship. Courts in many countries have found it illegal, it has also been claimed to violate a few WTO treaties.

If the consortium of movie studios which created the region code system wouldn't have been preoccupied with profit, they would have instead built a region/timestamp system -- one which would allow disks to be viewed in other regions, once their timestamp has passed.

But they felt that they had to "neutralize a competition risk" -- a risk posed by their own disks from another market! It has nothing to do with piracy, they feared competition from themselves.

Our task is to remind them of their mistake by choosing which disks we buy, which equipment we use. I consider it my duty to do what I can to make the region code system crumble. I do this by ignoring it, by using only Region 1 disks.

[This message has been edited by Lennier (edited November 21, 2001).]

And I just set my DVD-ROM on region 1 (it's one of those that allow the region to be changed 5 times and it's set permanently after the last change; I haven't really even tried to see if it can be hacked or not) and decided not to bother with R2 at all.

Of course, this means I can't rent anything out on DVD here... but if I really want to watch something, I can just buy the R1 disc.

------------------
"Narns, Humans, Centauri... we all do what we do for the same reason: because it seems like a good idea at the time." - G'Kar, Mind War

Which model are you using, Kribu? I could look if it's on the rather long list I compiled when I tried to choose one for myself.

The one that comes by default with Compaq Presario. I don't remember the exact make by heart though... I'll have to check it once I get home.

Edit note: Seems to be a Compaq DVD-ROM SD-612B.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Kribu (edited November 21, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Seems to be a Compaq DVD-ROM SD-612B<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The drive has been manufactured by Samsung and can be patched to RPC-1 (region free). The process is irreversible and must be undertaken after no less than 3 days of study and contemplation (read: Minbari exaggeration).
laugh.gif
It is known to work. Instructions can be found on many DVD sites, among others this one.

Links to patched firmware can be found on the same page. I downloaded the patch for Samsung SD-612 and it consists of three components: a README.TXT (which is adequate but not too detailed, so I would suggest reading more about the nature of the process), binary files with various versions of the firmware (up to 0.6) and a hacked version of Samsung's firmware update program (a little Windows-based application).

If you currently have your drive switched to Region 1 (and are not in the mood for experimenting) I would download the update and keep it ready -- using it when you need to switch to a disk of some other region. Also, as a form of protest and saving money, I would suggest using Region 1 disks whenever possible (which I am sure you have already noticed long ago, but perhaps others reading this post have haven't).
smile.gif

------------------
"We are the universe, trying to figure itself out.
Unfortunately we as software lack any coherent documentation."
-- Delenn

More info on DVD-related legal disputes and the whole region code issue can be found at:

------------------
"We are the universe, trying to figure itself out.
Unfortunately we as software lack any coherent documentation."
-- Delenn

It strikes me that us Brits are being "rewarded" for the relative success of B5 on VHS over here. They presumably feel that they can get away with the differential on the basis that the video release was very popular and sold pretty well in the UK, whilst it did not in the US.

We should also bear in mind that £18.99 is about average price for a single DVD in Britland.

Being one of those who has forked out £700+ to own the entire series and TV movies on VHS (oh what a sad [insert own insult]!!) I for one would like to thank WHV from the bottom of my heart
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

------------------
DaveC
"Want to talk socks?"

Well if this infact true, then i am both excited and dismayed by the facts so far. Whilst WB have allways been good to us in the UK with B5, Crusade, and the Tv movies in widescreen, WB on dvd is a mixed bag however.

The only other TV show they do here to my recollection is The Sopranoes, hopelessly bereft of extras. And those cardboard boxes annoy me
mad.gif
lol but as far as the price goes, i'm not worried. I get mine from play.com and they get them £4 to £5 cheaper
laugh.gif

------------------
Londo: "When I said my quarters were cold, I did not mean "Oh, I think it is a little chilly in here. Perhaps I'll throw a blanket on the bed." No! I said it was COLD! As in, "Oh look - my left arm has snapped off like an icicle and shattered on the floor!"

frown.gif
I don't know why you guys have to pay more for the same product as it only costs $29 aust or around 15£ for you
shocked.gif

I've already got myself a copy and its great so hopefully they will come to their senses and drop the price for you...

------------------
"When it is time, come to this place, call our name, we will be here" -Walkers of Sigma957

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> I've already got myself a copy and its great so hopefully they will come to their senses and drop the price for you... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doesn't seem very likely though does it?
frown.gif

------------------
Calculus and alcohol don't mix. NEVER drink and derive.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>I don't know why you guys have to pay more for the same product as it only costs $29 aust or around 15£ for you <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

About par for the course really. Looking at my music CD collection I would say over 50% have been imported online from the US solely because, even allowing for the extra shipping costs, it still works out cheaper than buying in the UK.

Consumer electronics are always a laugh too. You generally find that when they hit the UK the £GB price is the same as the $US price - i.e. $200 = £200 (or the equivalent of roughly $280 at the moment)
shocked.gif

Being cynical for a moment, it is easy to conclude that we Brits are just too damn easy to take commercial advantage of
wink.gif
wink.gif

------------------
DaveC
"Want to talk socks?"

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back