• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

EpDis: A Distant Star

Gumbel, Gumbel, or Gumble...who's your favorite?

• Total voters
When Lennier first comes to the station, he addresses Delenn as Satai. She tells him he must never do so again, does understand, and that's the first time the 'understanding is not required' line is heard. I've always wondered if Delenn got it from Dukhat, though.

Jan

The Cortez. Okay. They named a ship after Hernándo Cortez. What are its sister ships, the Hitler and the Genghis Khan?

This made me LOL. From the comments here and the text quoted from the Lurker's Guide, I can see that the ship was indeed supposed to be named after THAT Cortez, but I think I'm going to choose to believe that it was named for a fictional Cortez who perhaps did some early space exploration in the B5 universe :p

I like this episode. I like the Maynard character and I like Russ Tamblyn. The Cortez looks cool, and there's creepy Shadow vessel sightings. No one knows what they are and it's all very ominous. I also agree with other posters here that the music is great. What's not to like? Well, OK, maybe Sheridan's sudden grumpiness that has passed by the end of the episode.

List of things:
  • Are those fancy cowboy boots Maynard is wearing EarthForce regulation? :D
  • Swapping delegations because of complaints about the Pakmara... Are the Abbai going to be OK with having to move quarters because of someone else's silly complaint? That might not be the easy solution it seems to be.
  • When Zeta Squadron leaves to rescue the Cortez, both Sheridan and Ivanova make some comment about how they wish they were going with them. Why doesn't one of them go with them? Both of them do do that sort of thing in later episodes.
  • Everyone's off duty shirts are pretty bad in this one ... I always say I like human fashions in the late 2250s in the Babylon 5 universe, with the hats and the scarves but ... now I'm not so sure :p
  • I just noticed for the very first time that Keffer is wearing Ray Gallus' flight suit in the scenes inside his Starfury. Excuse my crappy screenshot, but it definitely says "Ray Gallus" on his chest there:
    distantstar1.jpg

Yeah I remember seeing that he was wearing the wrong suit. Keffer does have the proper tag during the briefing. My guess is the tags were velcro-ed on and Rusler or the costuming people lost his so they slapped "Roy Gallus" on there.

Anywho, I was discussing this episode over on JMS News and I mentioned an issue that falls into the "Read Between The Episodes" category, but maybe there is an answer out there I don't know about so I'll put it in this thread before mentioning it in that thread.

I would love to know when the Cortez came back into known space. Did they know about the Shadow War? Did they know and choose sides in the Civil War? Did they return after the wars and the establishment of the Interstellar Alliance? If they returned after the wars and the establishment of the Interstellar Alliance things could get really weird. Think about a ship that has been out of contact and they return to find multiple wars have taken place and their government has be overthrown. Of course, that assumes they are completely out of contact with Earthforce, which I'm not sure is entirely accurate. You would assume if they didn't have constant contact with Earthforce then they would likely have had to check in at certain intervals. Anyway, if anyone knows anything or has opinions I am ready to read. ;)

Sorry to raise this thread from the dead, but here in the UK Sky Two have been showing B5 and have got up to A Distant Star, and I remembered all the complaints about Russ Tamblyn and how he'd been miscast, and I really don't get it? He was perfectly fine in this episode, particularly in two key scenes – the scene where he's gently pushing Sheridan as to whether commanding the station is the right role for him, and the scene where he tells Sheridan about the Shadow ship that he once saw, and he really sells the creepiness of it.

Now the acting (or perhaps the directing of) the bridge crew on the Cortez after they become lost in hyperspace, that's another matter. And yeah, add me to the list of people that find it odd that they named the ship after Cortez; however, in Mexico I understand there is quite a split in the population between those who curse his name, and those that thank him and the Europeans for what they brought to Central American (horses, Christianity etc). Maybe another 250 years into the future, attitudes are more favourable towards Cortez's legacy.

To try and answer Looney's question from two years ago (almost two years to the day, lol!), Maynard mentions that they don't get much news out on the rim, but they do get called in every now and then to fix jump gates or pick up supplies, which in itself implies they're in contact with Earthforce. Maybe they don't get ISN out on the rim, but they probably receive dedicated transmissions from Earthforce – though they'd have only got Clark's propaganda during the civil war. They obviously knew that Sheridan had taken command of B5, though I guess they could have learned that after they came back in to the core systems.

If I remember rightly, in War Dawn Gideon states that all ships have been recalled to Earth, and when they arrive in Earth orbit I'm sure there are other explorer ships there besides Gideon's, so maybe one of them was the Cortez? Though that was close to ten years after A Distant Star, so who knows if Maynard is even still in command.

Last edited:
Thanks. :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw:

But yes very interesting. You have to wonder if after he questioned Sheridan taking command of B5 he would wonder how that changed Sheridan later on. And very true that they would have only gotten Clarke propaganda, so it is easy to make the logic jump that Maynard would think Sheridan's position on B5 got to him, he cracked, and went rogue. Easy to see that Maynard would have been in the Clarke camp.

I'd say Distant Star was a very good early season episode. I love the explorer ship. And to chip in on the Keffer question, I liked him. In this case the PTBs probably was right. It gave us a perspective from the floor or the cockpit that was missing later on. With the exception of Mack and Bo of course.

I'd say Distant Star was a very good early season episode. I love the explorer ship. And to chip in on the Keffer question, I liked him. In this case the PTBs probably was right. It gave us a perspective from the floor or the cockpit that was missing later on. With the exception of Mack and Bo of course.

Agreed. I think I would have preferred that Keffer not have as much connection to the main cast as he did. I liked the idea of a Keffer character, but not necessarily one that was someone any of the main cast interacted with past the business at hand.

Keffer worked very well in GROPOS. In that episode his type of character could be used in a good way.

Yes, very true. The B5 Universe is so large and that type of character could have opened it up even more, not that I have a problem with Keffer's arc.

I always thought he could have become a Ranger, what with his obsession over the Shadows. A shame it didn't work out, but I think there were some clashes there behind the scenes.

I always thought he could have become a Ranger, what with his obsession over the Shadows. A shame it didn't work out, but I think there were some clashes there behind the scenes.

Yeah that is an excellent point. Perfect Ranger material. That is such a great idea. They could have had him disappear and then reappear a couple of seasons later as a Ranger. Such a great idea. Like I said, I have no problem with his arc, but that is a great Alternate Universe arc for him. :thumbsup:

Sorry to raise this thread from the dead, but here in the UK Sky Two have been showing B5 and have got up to A Distant Star, and I remembered all the complaints about Russ Tamblyn and how he'd been miscast, and I really don't get it? He was perfectly fine in this episode, particularly in two key scenes – the scene where he's gently pushing Sheridan as to whether commanding the station is the right role for him, and the scene where he tells Sheridan about the Shadow ship that he once saw, and he really sells the creepiness of it.

I just watched this episode a few days ago and I agree, Russ did a great job with it! Seemed very natural banter with Bruce/Sheridan.

This is one of my favourite episodes - I love Russ T playing Jack, love the easy chemistry between him and Sheridan. I first saw it over 20 years ago, and that minor character has stayed with me all this time.
(And no way would he have been in the Clark camp - just sayin' :))

WELCOME ELFIN!!!!!

I believe we have discussed this before, but I will bring it up again. Did the CORTEZ play any part in the CIVIL WAR? I mean I know, I just want to know if everyone else knows..... :guffaw:

But yes Elfin, I share your opinion of Captain Maynard. ;)

Didn't see the Cortez in any of the civil War fights, but don't recall if it was mentioned. Not likely that an explorer class ship would seek out combat, maybe come in for clean-up or rebuilding.

The good Captain Jack in the show.

Didn't see the Cortez in any of the civil War fights, but don't recall if it was mentioned. Not likely that an explorer class ship would seek out combat, maybe come in for clean-up or rebuilding.

The good Captain Jack in the show.

You do see an Explorer class in orbit of Earth in Rising Star IIRC, so sounds like someone rushed back for the final fight... but I don't think we see its markings to be able to determine if it is "Stinky's" ship.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back