• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

B5:TLT -- just the news. And we mean that.

Lost Tales boasts updated F/X

This bit really intrigued me:
When Babylon 5 finished production in 1998, all of the show's assets—wardrobe, props, computer-generated models, texture mattes, etc.—were turned over to Warner Brothers, and the disks containing the computer-graphic information were lost. That forced the new F/X team to start from scratch. And they turned to fans for help.

"The guys in the effects department said, 'My God, how can we get this thing done in time when we have to build everything from the scratch?'" Straczynski said. "I pointed out that a lot of fans out there over the years built their own models of our ships and the station and everything else. So they went out to all these different sites to find high-resolution models and wireframes and texture mattes and so on that they could then take and start building from. So it kind of closed the loop in the sense that Babylon 5 created these images and gave them to the fans, and now the fans have given them back to us. It's a nice bit of symmetry."

I'm aware this is a no comment thread, but just look at the title in my last post. I hate dirty urls (like the one you posted straight off the browser bar) with a passion and will edit them to proper links when I can.

Sorry everyone, OT again:

There are three ways to do it on this forum:
1) Click the earth/link symbol, paste the url you want in the first box and type the text you want in the second.
2) Paste the link you want in the text box, select the blue bit and type the text you want on top of it.
3) Write some text in the edit box, click the earth/link symbol and paste the url into the box.

Sorry to stay OT, but 'dirty URL's' can be useful in telling people the origin of some info, especially if they use a browser with no status bar. When used in proper context, they can be useful.

My order has gone into processing, seeing as my copy of the Monster Squad went into processing on Sunday and arrived today hopefully I could have this my Monday or Tuesday just in time for my week off.

Did you pick that up at scifi.com? I read the same thing there.

By the way, just for general info: I think if you are going to quote an article it's considered best if you also identify/credit the source with a posted link. :)

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=1&id=42435

Sorry to be OT, but doesn't your browser display the actual link (either in the status bar or a pop-up window) when hovering the mouse over the renamed link? IE does.

No, this has happened to me before, at other boards. My eye just doesn't see a link if it's a named link. Especially if it's at the top.

I always thought showing the link was useful, too, as it identifies the source.

No, this has happened to me before, at other boards. My eye just doesn't see a link if it's a named link. Especially if it's at the top.

I always thought showing the link was useful, too, as it identifies the source.

Hyp, look at the bar above your "Windows Start Button" when you hold the mouse over the link, for me it says it's SciFi Wire's addy.

I usually do write something like "Scifiwire reports" but for some reason neglected to do so this time. I'll do better in future, but I still don't like dirty urls. ;)

The final part of the series of CG Society articles is now up

Babylon 5 Finale

Some more nice animatics, details of the design process for IA1, and a bunch of updates on JMS's other projects (Surfer, WWZ etc). :cool:

I usually do write something like "Scifiwire reports" but for some reason neglected to do so this time. I'll do better in future, but I still don't like dirty urls. ;)

Sorry, this is OT I know, but I'm replying to the above...

When I hit "reply" I see no earth/link symbol.

"click on earth/link symbol" - isnt' visible to me when I hit reply

"paste url, select blue bit, type yoru title for the url, write something in the edit box, click earth/link (the thing that isn't visible anywhere, of course) paste url into the box."

:LOL: Well, I can't imagine why everyone doesn't follow this, it being so quick and easy. ;) :LOL:

Sorry, no earth/link symbol, no can do.

hyp, one can go into one's "User CP" and in the "Edit Options" section, one can go to the "Miscellaneous Options" part and set the "Message Editor Interface" to "Standard Editor - Extra formatting controls" (and then save the changes). One then has various buttons on the little window-esque area one types a post up in. One of those buttons is a little blue and green Earth like symbol that one can click on to bring up a box in which you can type the webaddress for a link you want to create. Once one then clicks "OK" it puts the link into code tabs for the board and when one does so, it'll have an area of the text of the code highlighted that is where one can then type in any text to make the link appear as in the post. It's just a format buttoned way of creating link code so you don't have to type the code yourself. The code itself is pretty simple:

[ url= webaddress ] text for the link to appear as [ /url ] (without the spaces). But the button is a matter of convenience for some.

Oh, you made my WEEK, VL

*Big kiss on cheek and hands over lots of chocolate* :D

I find the url much easier to just type. That's so simple!

Thank you very much. :)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back