B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Classic: Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.related

Old June 15th 11, 22:05   #11
Jan
Psi Cop

Re: Legend of the rangers first time viewing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HexDSL View Post
1) whats this about rangers getting in trouble for wisely leaving a battle? i don't remember any reference to this with Marcus Cole when he chose to leave a battle. it seams like an odd direction to take the seemingly well balanced and wise ranger group.
Yes and no. The Minbari are generally inclined to *never* leave a battle un-won. Remember how Delenn escaped from the Drakh back in "Lines of Communication"? Her ship had gotten away and then she turned back to destroy them. I forget the episode but somebody (Franklin, maybe?) also commented on the Minbari never backing down during the E/M war. In Rangers this was greatly exaggerated but then JMS mentioned that we'd have found out that there were considerable issues with the Ranger Council that the crew would have discovered if the show had gone to series.

Quote:
2) what the hell was all that kicking and punching to fire the ships guns about? its stupid in concept and design. there is no was floating about and punching the air is more intuitive than selecting targets on a console. it made me face palm quite readily.
That's not how it was described in the script. One of the first times I think we saw Mike Vejar's instincts be wrong. Still, the breathtaking effects shot of her hanging in space forgives much as far as I'm concerned.

Quote:
3) the rangers lacked the quiet calm and innate understanding that we saw from the otehrs that where in the precious episodes. i get that they where all supposed to be a little rebellious but it didn't work for me.
I'm not sure I'm following you on this one. Just about all of the younger Rangers that we saw had a number of flaws. Think back to Findell in "Meditations on the Abyss" and the two in "Learning Curve".

As KoshN said, I'm more forgiving. I liked what I saw being set up for the future and I liked the relationships between the characters quite a bit. Sometimes what I see people write about Rangers seems like they suddenly think that the guy who wove the intricate Babylon 5 universe suddenly went stupid. Me, I *definitely* don't think that.

Jan
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th 11, 23:23   #12
KoshN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HexDSL View Post
1) whats this about rangers getting in trouble for wisely leaving a battle? i don't remember any reference to this with Marcus Cole when he chose to leave a battle. it seams like an odd direction to take the seemingly well balanced and wise ranger group.
Yes and no. The Minbari are generally inclined to *never* leave a battle un-won. Remember how Delenn escaped from the Drakh back in "Lines of Communication"? Her ship had gotten away and then she turned back to destroy them.
That's different. She retreated first and THEN went back. That gave her the element of surprise. She did the unexpected. We're talking about the B5LotR Rangers being told they should NEVER retreat for ANY reason. That's just pure stupidity.

Quote:
I forget the episode but somebody (Franklin, maybe?) also commented on the Minbari never backing down during the E/M war.
"Soul Hunter" and it was about the Minbari to continue to fight despite the loss of blood that would've rendered a human incapable of fighting or surviving.

Quote:
In Rangers this was greatly exaggerated but then JMS mentioned that we'd have found out that there were considerable issues with the Ranger Council that the crew would have discovered if the show had gone to series.
The trouble is, when a non-comedy starts out with something that is apparently extremely idiotic, it turns some people off, and they tune out.

Quote:
As KoshN said, I'm more forgiving. I liked what I saw being set up for the future and I liked the relationships between the characters quite a bit. Sometimes what I see people write about Rangers seems like they suddenly think that the guy who wove the intricate Babylon 5 universe suddenly went stupid. Me, I *definitely* don't think that.

Jan
To both B5 newbies and longtime veterans, it can result in a WTF moment when JMS comes up with a Minbari council that looks like the Grey Council but isn't (It's the Ranger Council.) and then has them act in a ridiculous fashion for a military organization.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."

Last edited by KoshN; June 15th 11 at 23:24. Reason: deleted an extra [/QUOTE]
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th 11, 00:12   #13
Jan
Psi Cop

I'm not gonna repeat old conversations, Mac.

Jan
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th 11, 14:24   #14
AnlaShokGrey
Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshN View Post
I feel bad that this awful TV movie was Andreas' last appearance as G'Kar.
Mac, you and I don't agree on much, but we agree on this (although I might replace the word "awful" with the word "unsatisfactory" or the phrase "lesser in the B5 canon").
AnlaShokGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th 11, 15:20   #15
KoshN

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnlaShokGrey View Post
Quote:
I feel bad that this awful TV movie was Andreas' last appearance as G'Kar.
Mac, you and I don't agree on much, but we agree on this (although I might replace the word "awful" with the word "unsatisfactory" or the phrase "lesser in the B5 canon").
Sirois' conniption fit in the weapons interface, her acting in the dojo and her lines everywhere tip it way past awful, for me. <shrug>

ps. Your avatar contains a lot of perspective distortion from you being too close to the lens. It'd be a good idea to take another pic., with the lens 6ft. to 8ft. away, and then enlarge it and crop it to show you the same size as in your current avatar. It's the distance from the lens (actually the distance from the film/sensor plane) that governs how we look in pictures. Anything over 20ft. or so would have the opposite effect, but still wouldn't look right.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
Old June 22nd 11, 01:06   #16
AnlaShokGrey
Ambassador

Quote:
ps. Your avatar contains a lot of perspective distortion from you being too close to the lens. It'd be a good idea to take another pic., with the lens 6ft. to 8ft. away, and then enlarge it and crop it to show you the same size as in your current avatar. It's the distance from the lens (actually the distance from the film/sensor plane) that governs how we look in pictures. Anything over 20ft. or so would have the opposite effect, but still wouldn't look right.
Well, this was definitely answered by a *guy*, because a girl would know: blurry is your friend. :-D

But seriously, I just snap these pics on just about a weekly basis for Facebook, and they are *always* snaps from my monitor's built-in camera, and they are *always* going to be taken with me sitting in my office desk chair, right in front of the screen. They ain't going to look any better! (Which reminds me, maybe it's time to update my avatar here, since I've updated my Facebook profile pic recently...)
Old June 22nd 11, 02:38   #17
KoshN

Quote:
Quote:
Well, this was definitely answered by a *guy*, because a girl would know: blurry is your friend. :-D
Blurry is not the problem. Perspective distortion is the problem. Blurry has nothing to do with it. That said, a girl's best friend is a Nikon Soft 1 filter (features a very light coating of vacuum deposited silver on an optically flat surface).

Quote:
But seriously, I just snap these pics on just about a weekly basis for Facebook, and they are *always* snaps from my monitor's built-in camera, and they are *always* going to be taken with me sitting in my office desk chair, right in front of the screen. They ain't going to look any better! (Which reminds me, maybe it's time to update my avatar here, since I've updated my Facebook profile pic recently...)
What I said in my previous post is technically accurate, diplomatic and constructive, and comes from about 35 years of experience with pro. Nikon gear and 4x5. If you want your avatar to be flattering, it's excellent advice. ...and that's all I want to say on the matter.

Last edited by KoshN; June 22nd 11 at 03:06.
Old June 22nd 11, 18:28   #18
AnlaShokGrey
Ambassador

Honestly, I'm a little baffled. I just reread the original comment, and...perspective distortion? Really? What part of me is distorted? That looks pretty much like my face looks. It's not like I have a fish-eye lens on my monitor... Distorted? Really?
Old June 22nd 11, 22:53   #19
KoshN

Quote:
Honestly, I'm a little baffled. I just reread the original comment, and...perspective distortion? Really? What part of me is distorted? That looks pretty much like my face looks. It's not like I have a fish-eye lens on my monitor... Distorted? Really?
Since you asked.....

Fisheye lenses introduce lots of barrel distortion, NOT perspective distortion. Your avatar looks like it was shot with something between a moderate wideangle (e.g a 35mm lens on a 35mm camera or a Nikon D3) and a normal lens (e.g a 50mm lens on a 35mm camera or a Nikon D3), both of which are rectilinear lenses (i.e. Straight lines that are not in the center of the frame are recorded as straight.), BUT shot from 2.5ft.~3ft. away.

You could shoot a portrait with a 14mm ultra-wideangle from 6ft. to 8ft. away, enlarge it up to the size you want and it would show no perspective distortion. Naturally, it wouldn't look as good as if the picture was shot with a 85mm or 105mm lens from 6ft. to 8ft. away, because of the grain/pixilation caused by the extra enlarging, but none would show perspective distortion (big nose, with the remaining facial features falling away/dramatically smaller in extreme cases, e.g. 14mm lens shot fron 1.5ft~2ft. away).
Old June 22nd 11, 23:28   #20
AnlaShokGrey
Ambassador

Thanks for the detailed explanation, Mac, but like most of the rest of the internet-using world, I'm just going to continue taking my profile/avatar photos with my built-in monitor camera, for good or for ill. I really don't see a problem with this photo for the purposes for which it's intended (or with the one I'm going to replace it with after posting this).