B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old May 24th 10, 04:36   #121
jnk5y
First One

Re: Anyone still watching Lost?

I was on board until the last 15 minutes.
jnk5y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th 10, 06:37   #122
Ninja_Squirrel
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnk5y View Post
I was on board until the last 15 minutes.
Actually, I was very much on board all the way up until the last 8 minutes, maybe 9. I could forgive the open-ended mysteries for all the character drama we got throughout the episode until we got that one last revelation. That messed it up for me. I'm pretty sure I understand it, but I'm also pretty sure I don't like it.
Old May 24th 10, 07:07   #123
Alluveal
Psi Cop

Absolutely. Still trying to wrap my head around it, though.

So, Jack died saving the island and the "sideways world" was a place they all somehow created to find one another again? Only, it seems like Jack got a bit "lost" in that world (very Tibetan Book of the Dead in a sense), got too involved, created a son that wasn't real, etc.

As Christian Shepherd said, some died long after, some died soon, but they all returned to the same place where there is no "now," no time. Essentially, the survivors could have lived long lives once they returned to their homes, but they all ended up in the same afterlife.

Interesting that Ben felt he should be on the outside (which is how he always considered himself--an outsider).

So, Hurley and Ben apparently protected the island for a good amount of time before Hurley must have found a replacement.

So many interesting possibilities to imagine.

I thought it was really well done. All the important things that needed to be answered were answered, imho. I was never really a Jack fan until this last season. He really seemed to step it up. I think my favorite "oh my God, I remember now" moment was Claire and Charlie. Just something in the way Dominique Monogan's performance that really drove that home for me.
Alluveal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th 10, 08:57   #124
vorlonlovechild
Commander

I thought it was a very touching episode which pretty much finished the way I thought it might.
Old May 24th 10, 14:26   #125
GKarsEye
First One

I know the internet is probably going ballistic know, but to hell with them- I though it was a beautiful finale. Yes I'm gonna use the word "beautiful," because it was shot so well, the actors clearly gave it their all, and the production and score were wonderfully executed. The whole ending just "felt" right, and though this opinion might change over time, I'm going to call this the 3rd best series finale I've ever seen (where #1 = Sleeping In Light and #2 = All Good Things from ST:TNG).
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th 10, 17:03   #126
B5_Obsessed
First One

Glad we're seeing eye to eye GK (no pun intented).

Do I feel the series as a whole let me down? Yeah, just a bit (for about 20 or so unsatisfactorily answered reasons) but I do feel that the episode was successful in giving a nice emotional resolution to the whole thing. I like the whole Nexus thing to the afterlife where you can enter from any point and there really is no time inside it. It was obvious from Hurley and Ben's conversation. Who knows how long they co-managed the Island? 20 years? A hundred? I don't think Ben was being an outcast as much as he was choosing to remain in his Danielle / Alex fantasy world (if such a thing is possible). The biggest surprise was Richard being on the plane. Wonder if it was his first time?

p.s Kimmel's show was really good afterward.

Josh Holloway couldn't be there but appeared via satellite from the set of his new movie "Snakes on a Plane 2: Electric Boogaloo". Who knew he could dance?

Now all that's left is to see if Jack Bauer starts WW3.

Last edited by B5_Obsessed; May 24th 10 at 17:09.
B5_Obsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th 10, 17:17   #127
GKarsEye
First One

Quote:
The biggest surprise was Richard being on the plane. Wonder if it was his first time?
Are you asking if it's his first time on a plane or first time off the island since he got there? Because I don't see why the first matters so much, but the second we do know- yes. We saw him do the whole Kundun thing to child-Locke.
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th 10, 17:19   #128
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKarsEye View Post
Quote:
The biggest surprise was Richard being on the plane. Wonder if it was his first time?
Are you asking if it's his first time on a plane or first time off the island since he got there? Because I don't see why the first matters so much, but the second we do know- yes. We saw him do the whole Kundun thing to child-Locke.
And he also recruited Juliette.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th 10, 17:26   #129
B5_Obsessed
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKarsEye View Post
Quote:
No, I was referring to the plane ride. I know he's taken the sub off island before.
I just found it mildly amusing. He's 200 years old, but things have certainly changed around him. I would have laughed to see him looking terrified out the window upon takeoff.
B5_Obsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th 10, 21:04   #130
A_Ranger
First One

Looks like I'm in the minority here. I'm pretty pissed off. This show may have been a character driven mystery, but it was still a mystery. They broke the cardinal rule of a mystery: they didn't solve the mystery!!!!! We still don't know what the island is, what smokey is and what he will do if he escapes. To me, the character drama itself is hurt because we don't understand the island which is the reason for all they went through. Also, all the rules of the island seem totally arbitrary like the writers pulled them out of a hat.

I gave them my faith for 6 years, believing there was a purpose and that we would get the answers that were promised. Instead, I got anally raped. They had no clue what they were doing. They may have had a vague notion of the ending, but clearly they really had no clue what they were doing for six seasons.