B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old December 28th 09, 16:14   #31
Galahad
First One

Send a message via MSN to Galahad Send a message via Yahoo to Galahad Send a message via Skype™ to Galahad
Re: Avatar

I've never been to an Imax... nearest one is in Brum.

"We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."

Visit NiCK'S SANCTUARY
Galahad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th 09, 19:02   #32
B5_Obsessed
First One

Well, I'd comment on this friggin movie if I could get in. Two days in a row I tried to go to the IMAX matinee and it was sold out. It's been out 11 days now.
B5_Obsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th 09, 20:18   #33
Jade Jaguar
First One

I'm beginning to think the wikipedia knows everything... found out this info:

Standard aspect ratio of IMAX is 1.44:1 (I knew that)

Avatar in IMAX 3D is 1.78:1, a big surprise to me, since when I saw it, it looked like the normal aspect ratio.

Avatar in regular 3D, and 2D, is 2.35:1, cut down from 1.78:1

Avatar in regular 3D is in a 3D format called "RealD Cinema," which uses circular polarization, which maintains 3D no matter what angle you hold your head at, unlike the IMAX 3D version, which turns into a double image, if you tilt your head.

Just a guess, but I wouldn't be surprised but that it would be watchable for Garibaldi's Hair, even with the eye trouble, in STANDARD 3D, but IMAX 3D might be a problem.
Benjamin Franklin 1775

"I know that the hypnotized never lie... Do ya?"
Pete Townshend 1971

FREE LEONARD PELTIER
Jade Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th 09, 21:43   #34
Alluveal
Psi Cop

I'm late coming into this thread. I just saw it in 3D. WOW. Just wow.

I'm not gonna buy into the whole notion that it was lefty, "whitey is bad" type stuff. I'd rather just enjoy the living shit out of it and leave all the politics to people who have way too much time on their hands.

A perfect movie, imho.
Alluveal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th 09, 21:52   #35
Jade Jaguar
First One

Well, I definitely wouldn't characterize it as "whitey is bad," but Cameron has stated that he was thinking of films such as At Play in the Fields of the Lord, The Emerald Forest, and Dances With Wolves, so he definitely had such political content in mind. But of course, it is not necessary for you to understand that, to enjoy the film.
Benjamin Franklin 1775

Pete Townshend 1971

FREE LEONARD PELTIER
Old December 29th 09, 00:54   #36
Alluveal
Psi Cop

I think most people "get" the imperialism in the film. But, if you're honestly going to let a fictional story upset you because it takes a stance for the sake of the story, then I'm really not interested. (Speaking to the "general" you.)

I think it's a genuine waste of brain cells to jump on the partisan nitpick bandwagon when you have a movie as monumental as this.

As Eleanor Rosevelt said . . .

No one can make you inferior without your consent.

I think the same can be said for insult and offense if people really are that offended over something like this. I've read a few sensational rants online that honestly make me wonder if they are truly that twitterpated or if they're just trying to drum up attention.
Old December 29th 09, 14:58   #37
Jade Jaguar
First One

Well, I wasn't trying to partisan nit-pick. I like the political message. It is part of what made the film for me.

Modern 3D certainly is stunning, isn't it? That's a large part of why I went in the first place. Having seen it in IMAX 3D, I would recommend that anyone who wants the best 3D effect watch it in the standard 3D, not the IMAX. The polarized lens format is a lot better. Still, if you haven't seen modern 3D, the IMAX version will be stunning.

It is to Cameron's credit that they didn't get outrageous with the effect, like the films of the 50s did, with things always looking like they were going to hit the viewer. The 3D was used to create a more life-like appearance. To me, that is what it is all about. We went from silent to sound, and from B&W to color, because those were more real. To me, 3D is a natural evolution, along the same lines.
Benjamin Franklin 1775

Pete Townshend 1971

FREE LEONARD PELTIER
Old December 29th 09, 16:31   #38
Alluveal
Psi Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade Jaguar View Post
Well, I wasn't trying to partisan nit-pick. I like the political message. It is part of what made the film for me.
Haha! I didn't think you were. But I know a few peeps in my online world who are being super-annoying about it.

Quote:
Modern 3D certainly is stunning, isn't it? That's a large part of why I went in the first place. Having seen it in IMAX 3D, I would recommend that anyone who wants the best 3D effect watch it in the standard 3D, not the IMAX. The polarized lens format is a lot better. Still, if you haven't seen modern 3D, the IMAX version will be stunning.

It is to Cameron's credit that they didn't get outrageous with the effect, like the films of the 50s did, with things always looking like they were going to hit the viewer. The 3D was used to create a more life-like appearance. To me, that is what it is all about. We went from silent to sound, and from B&W to color, because those were more real. To me, 3D is a natural evolution, along the same lines.
I am still sitting here in awe. The 3D was so absolutely amazing. In the forest, you'd see these flying insects on the screen (and little floaty things) that felt like they were in the theater. I think what I enjoyed the most was that I felt like I was sitting there with the characters. I was on that transport ship with the other grunts. I was jumping off the cliff. Ahh!

Will this be available for our homes? Is it possible now?
Old December 29th 09, 17:02   #39
Jade Jaguar
First One

3D TV is in its infancy. Some HDTV sets, mostly of the DLP variety, have been "3D ready" for years. A TV needs a really fast refresh rate to provide 3D, and DLP has that, where as most systems don't. 3D TV works using shuttered glasses, controlled by a computer transmission, synched to the picture. The problem is that there are no 3D discs, although BluRay is capable of providing a 3D source. Look for this to be the next big thing, as BluRay players become more common.

Changed "response time" to "refresh rate."
Benjamin Franklin 1775

Pete Townshend 1971

FREE LEONARD PELTIER

Last edited by Jade Jaguar; December 29th 09 at 18:32.
Old December 29th 09, 17:17   #40
Galahad
First One

Send a message via MSN to Galahad Send a message via Yahoo to Galahad Send a message via Skype™ to Galahad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade Jaguar View Post
The 3D was used to create a more life-like appearance. To me, that is what it is all about. We went from silent to sound, and from B&W to color, because those were more real. To me, 3D is a natural evolution, along the same lines.
Bring on the holodeck!

"We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."

Visit NiCK'S SANCTUARY
Galahad is offline   Reply With Quote