B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old April 11th 09, 11:40   #1
Bester
First One

Red Dwarf : Back to Earth

Anyone else watching this? The 3-part story began last night on Dave. I was very disappointed with the first episode. No Holly, no audience laughter, newly designed ship internals, poor story, and no resolution to the season 8 cliffhanger makes for a very disappointing outing. There were also parts where I really got the impression that the actors were struggling to get back into character. Shame. I was hoping for so much more.
Old April 11th 09, 16:31   #2
Ranger1
Telepath

Re: Red Dwarf : Back to Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bester View Post
Anyone else watching this? The 3-part story began last night on Dave. I was very disappointed with the first episode. No Holly, no audience laughter, newly designed ship internals, poor story, and no resolution to the season 8 cliffhanger makes for a very disappointing outing. There were also parts where I really got the impression that the actors were struggling to get back into character. Shame. I was hoping for so much more.
i agree with everything you just said, but would add that the way they have aged specifically chris barrie (who really doesn't look good for it) is a wee bit depressing.

"when ejaculating, it is considered gentlemanly to avoid the eyes"

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."
Ranger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th 09, 17:09   #3
Galahad
First One

Send a message via MSN to Galahad Send a message via Yahoo to Galahad Send a message via Skype™ to Galahad

The reviewers have said that the first part was the worst.... but yeah it was pretty lukewarm.

Yes I thought the addition of Kochanski damaged the dynamic (for me the show jumped shark with Stoke Me A Clipper),but she did deserve a proper send off.

Norman Lovett's dulcet tones and deadpan humour were clearly missing.

Russian hologram - do we really need her?

I didn't want Red Dwarf to be a romp around Corrie... I was hoping they might resolve some of the plot threads from the first two seasons (which I guess was never going to happen after Grant and Naylor fell out).

I'll see what the next two episodes have to offer... but I think they may have made a mistalke splitting it into three.

"We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."

Visit NiCK'S SANCTUARY
Galahad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th 09, 18:46   #4
Bester
First One

A new story, bringing together the old actors, made 10 years after the end of the series, using modern CG to create a new version of the old sets, but ultimately unsatisfying due to a questionable script. Reminds me of something else...can't quite think what...

Last edited by Bester; April 11th 09 at 18:49.
Bester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th 09, 18:55   #5
Galahad
First One

Send a message via MSN to Galahad Send a message via Yahoo to Galahad Send a message via Skype™ to Galahad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bester View Post
A new story, bringing together the old actors, made 10 years after the end of the series, using modern CG to create a new version of the old sets, but ultimately unsatisfying due to a questionable script. Reminds me of something else...can't quite think what...
Don't go there...

That way leads only to pain, misery and sadness.

"We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."

Visit NiCK'S SANCTUARY
Old April 11th 09, 21:47   #6
Kara Baxter
Telepath

Quote:
Anyone else watching this? The 3-part story began last night on Dave.
I wish the US would pick up Red Dwarf.
Kara Baxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th 09, 21:59   #7
crazyhorse
Anarchist

Bag of shite

"me and other folk were just tryin tae get the boot in and some other guy banjoed him"

John Smeaton 2007

"You know why they're on the Internet don't you? Cos you wouldny speak to them in the fecking pub!" - Billy Connolly
crazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th 09, 23:22   #8
Galahad
First One

Who wrote the script, it's like... not even the same show.

Visit NiCK'S SANCTUARY
Old April 12th 09, 12:30   #9
Bester
First One

No idea. But it's probably sponsored by Warner Bros, judging by all the geeky Blade Runner references.
Old April 12th 09, 13:40   #10
Ranger1
Telepath

i thought parts of the second episode were excellent, especially the warhammer shoutout, the guys from my league loved that. but the general setup is pretty bad, and not even original.

"when ejaculating, it is considered gentlemanly to avoid the eyes"

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."
Ranger1 is offline   Reply With Quote