B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old June 28th 18, 22:19   #1
Kraig
First One

R.I.P. Harlan Ellison

Another has gone beyond the rim. He passed away in his sleep.

Article is here.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” — H. L. Mencken, Baltimore Evening Sun, 26 July 1920

"I've been on food stamps and welfare, did anybody help me out? No. No."
-- Craig T. Nelson
Kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th 18, 23:25   #2
Jan
Psi Cop

Re: R.I.P. Harlan Ellison

Sad now. The world is a far less interesting place now.

He was once kind to a friend of mine who was dealing with terminal illness, allowing me to auction off his time and space in order to help. I'll always love him for that.

Fair journey, Harlan.
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole

Last edited by Jan; June 29th 18 at 01:28.
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th 18, 23:50   #3
vacantlook

Just saw this elsewhere and had to come here to see if anyone had posted anything. Death sucks; it happens too damn much and to all the wrong people.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th 18, 02:43   #4
Looney
Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacantlook View Post
Death sucks; it happens too damn much and to all the wrong people.
Yeah. Don't get me wrong I'd like to see 84, but I feel like that is still too soon, especially for such a talent.
Looney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd 18, 05:07   #5
hypatia
First One

That is sad news. He wrote clever stories, with a kind of poetic tone. More like Bradbury than Asimov, and that can be tricky to pull off with science fiction. I thought I read something about an adaptation of his "Repent, Harlequin..." recently, too.
Old July 2nd 18, 11:32   #6
Jan
Psi Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypatia View Post
I thought I read something about an adaptation of his "Repent, Harlequin..." recently, too.
JMS wrote an adaptation for it. Back in 2011 he posted:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS
Since this has apparently leaked onto several film-oriented websites, I should probably confirm the information and preclude distortion: I have optioned, and adapted into screenplay form, Harlan Ellison's "Repent Harlequin, Said the Ticktockman." It's out to producers, studios and directors now. We hope to find a director who has always wanted to make this story into a movie. More as, if and when it develops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS
I should mention that Harlan has never allowed anyone else before to option or adapt Harlequin for the screen, and the draft has his personal seal of approval.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS
I've been asked in email which sites had the information. The two main ones are trackingb.com and itsonthegrid.com. (The latter is the more accurate, at least it spells my name right.) So I figured better to get in front of it than let it sneak up behind me or get distorted.
Sadly, I don't think we heard of anything since then.
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Old July 2nd 18, 20:37   #7
Looney
Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypatia View Post
I thought I read something about an adaptation of his "Repent, Harlequin..." recently, too.
JMS wrote an adaptation for it. Back in 2011 he posted:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS
Since this has apparently leaked onto several film-oriented websites, I should probably confirm the information and preclude distortion: I have optioned, and adapted into screenplay form, Harlan Ellison's "Repent Harlequin, Said the Ticktockman." It's out to producers, studios and directors now. We hope to find a director who has always wanted to make this story into a movie. More as, if and when it develops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS
I should mention that Harlan has never allowed anyone else before to option or adapt Harlequin for the screen, and the draft has his personal seal of approval.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS
I've been asked in email which sites had the information. The two main ones are trackingb.com and itsonthegrid.com. (The latter is the more accurate, at least it spells my name right.) So I figured better to get in front of it than let it sneak up behind me or get distorted.
Sadly, I don't think we heard of anything since then.
I don't know if this is even sadder, but we might now.
Old July 8th 18, 17:25   #8
Jan
Psi Cop

For anybody attending San Diego Comic-Con, there will be a celebration of Harlan and his work on Sunday, July 22 from 3:00 - 4:30 PM:
Quote:
Harlan Ellison: A Celebration of His Life and Works
The world recently lost a titan writer/fantasist, Harlan Ellison. But the stories he left behind are legendary. Attend this loose and likely profane celebration of the man and his writing as moderator Chris Ryall welcomes Josh Olson, Bill Sienkiewicz, William Stout, Erik Nelson, Steve Barnes, Nat Segaloff, Jude Meyers, Scott Tipton, J. K. Woodward, Christine Valada, Jason Davis, and as many other friends of Harlan that can fit on and around the dais. As a bonus, Dreams with Sharp Teeth director Nelson will also feature some never-before-seen documentary footage of Harlan, and all in attendance will get complimentary print, too.

Last edited by Jan; July 8th 18 at 17:32.
Old July 10th 18, 22:55   #9
Markas
His Majesty

Send a message via MSN to Markas

I am a little late to the party, but may the great H.E. RIP.
Old July 11th 18, 03:03   #10
Looney
Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markas View Post
I am a little late to the party, but may the great H.E. RIP.
Better late than never.