• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

JMS B5 Short Stories

Matthew

I just recently found out that JMS wrote 3 short stories about B5 - one of which told the story of Lyta & G'Kar.

Does anyone know where I can find these stories? I'm really interested in reading them!

One of his stories, that featured Ivanova returning to B5 during the fifth season, was in the official B5 magazine, can't remember which issue. The other two, the Lyta and G'kar story and a story that featured Marcus, were printed in issues of Amazing Stories, I think.

I just recently found out that JMS wrote 3 short stories about B5 - one of which told the story of Lyta & G'Kar.

Actually, JMS wrote four of the six short stories. You could try to find them in a major library, I guess. Other than that, there's eBay.

Maybe JMS could be convinced to put his four in the upcoming script collections???

<u>SHORT STORIES (all out of print, both magazines out of business): </u>

Title: The Shadow of His Thoughts
Author: Straczynski, J. M.
Timeframe: 10/2262
Ss_pub_in: Amazing Stories
Ss_issue: Summer 1999, Number 597
Ss_commnts: The Londo Story

Title: Genius Loci
Timeframe: 01/2263
Ss_issue: Winter 2000, Number 599
Ss_commnts: The Lyta / G'Kar Story

Title: Space, Time, and the Incurable Romantic
Timeframe: 2560-2592
Ss_issue: Summer 2000, Number 602
Ss_commnts: The Marcus / Ivanova Story

Title: Hidden Agendas
Timeframe: 2262
Ss_pub_in: Babylon 5/Crusade Magazine
Ss_issue: May 2000, Number 22
Ss_commnts: The Ivanova/Warlock Destroyer/Ulkesh's Vorlon
Transport/Sheridan/Lyta Story

Title: True Seeker
Author: Avery, Fiona
Timeframe: late 2269
Ss_issue: July 2000, Number 23
Ss_commnts: The Narn Story (carries on from episode 17 "Legacies" http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/guide/017.html )

Title: The Nautilus Coil
Author: Keyes, J. Gregory
Timeframe: 2263, or maybe even sometime in 2264
Ss_issue: August 2000, Number 24
Ss_commnts: The Garibaldi/Lyta/Psi Corp/Vorlon story. Connects with "Dark Genesis - The Birth of the Psi Corps"

You should theoretically be able to request copies of all of the articles via a dcoument supply service at a major copyright library, if you had access to a library with inter-library loans facility. There would probably be a sizable charge and you may even have to return the photocopies, depending on the copyright restrictions.

In the UK, there are six copyright libraries. Not sure how it pans out in the States...

I think the books JMS is releasing are the perfect medium for all of this...

I think the books JMS is releasing are the perfect medium for all of this...

Or would be if he owned the rights to them, but he doesn't. :) JMS can publish his scripts, because of the WGA separation of rights agreement with the studios. Writers can publish their own scirpts, drafts, outlines and commentaries. But they can't publish derivative works like novels and short stories without the permission of the stuido, and without the studio owning the resulting product. (Subject to the terms of the publication deal with the magazine or the book pubilisher, of course.)

JMS would have to pay Warner Bros. for the right to include those stories in his script collection, just as he'd have to pay to publish scripts written by other writers.

Regards,

Joe

I believe that most college, or university, libraries in the US have InterLibrary Loan, free of charge, for those with borrowing privileges. I'm not sure about public libraries in the US.

I think some public libraries do as well, but if most public libraries are anything like mine, the university one is much better anyway. Most university libraries are also freely available for public use.

Most public libraries in the U.S. do indeed offer interlibrary loan, and many share resources with local universities, especially the public ones. I must say I'm rather impractically fond of owning books, and don't spend nearly as much time in libraries as I used to. With 2,000 or so volumes in cases on desks, in closets on tables and stacked on the floor of a two bedroom condo, I am rarely at a loss for something to read. :) But I am a big fan, and this country happens to have one of the best public library systems in the world. (There are still more public libarries in the U.S. than there are McDonald's, for instance. :)) There are two (the main brach of he county library and a satellite branch) within two miles of where I live, and either of them can get me any volume from within the county library system within a day and from as far away as Miami within a week.

Not all libraries have a periodicals selection that extends as far as obscuure titles like The Official Babylon 5 Magazine or the brief revival of Amazing Stories, however. I'd say chances are better that a large publc library would have carried such things than that a university library would. They tend to be rather snobbish, especially when it comes to their scarce newspaper and magazine funds, at least in my experience.

Regards,

Joe

I think some public libraries do as well, but if most public libraries are anything like mine, the university one is much better anyway. Most university libraries are also freely available for public use.

If by use, you mean look at things in the library, I'm sure you're right. But, at least for the U libraries I know of in Michigan, borrowing rights are NOT allowed the general public, unless thay wish to purchase a card. Normally, borrowing privileges go to students, faculty, staff, visiting profs, and those affiliated with a few other Us, with which they have reciprocal borrowing privileges. In the case of U of Michigan, that is two other universities. Also, profs can get "proxy" cards, in their name, for anyone, so they don't have to do the leg work themselves.

Here in Ann Arbor, we have a wonderful public library system. We just built a new branch library, and have another in the works. But, since I work in what I am told is one of the two largest collections in the US where people can still actually browse the shelves, I rarely go to our public library. Ours loans out DVDs, but the DVD collection where I work is over 5,000 by now, all for free. :D I'm both glad, and amazed, to find out that there are more public libraries in the US than Mc Donalds. I do find that surprising!

Back