• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

EpDis: A Call To Arms

A Call To Arms

• A -- Excellent

Votes: 20 58.8%
  • B -- Good

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • C -- Average

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • D -- Poor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F -- Failure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
In B5 Seasons 1 through 5 (2258-2262), Sheridan had no beard. In ACtA (late 2266/early 2267), he had one. In SiL (2281), he didn't. Nothing wrong with that. Guys do that all the time, grow a beard, live with it for awhile, get tired of it, and shave it off. Perfectly normal.
In Season 5 and SiL Sheridan had the beard (but not in the "flash-forward" of "War without End").

Last edited:
In Season 5 and SiL Sheridan had the beard (but not in the "flash-forward" of "War without End").

You could argue that he actually had a beard... but that we don't see it because we are perceiving the 2260 Sheridan as he inhabits his future counterpart.

You could argue that he actually had a beard... but that we don't see it because we are perceiving the 2260 Sheridan as he inhabits his future counterpart.

But you can just about tell, at the end of in In the Beginning when Londo turns the TV on and they happen to be showing a rerun of War Without End, that he doesn't have a beard there either..

A Call to Arms had an unhappy ending, that will have produced a large reduction in the amount of enjoyment it gives.

To me, Chen's music added just the right amount of alien-ness to ACtA and Crusade (except for the end "music" from "Ruling from the Tomb" - the pops, boings, baby crying and dog barking was utter crap.).

As far as the movie itself I still very much enjoyed the movie with featuring more of the Drakh plus it opened the doors for the Crusade series..of course the series wasn't able to be completed but that's where the centauri trilogy helped to tighten the loose threads from B5 show itself as well. Anway's that's cool that some of you liked the music but personally I would have rather seen someone else but the world wasn't created for everyone to agree on everything.

Well, not everybody could be in every movie.

I realize that but it's still my opinion to want Delenn in the movie..She's my favorite character and I would have liked to see her there. I may be new to the board but I still know enough about the show to still want Delenn. (not trying to misunderstand what your saying it's just my humble opinion that's all.)

Stuff is filmed out of order. You have to put it in context. No big deal.

In B5 Seasons 1 through 5 (2258-2262), Sheridan had no beard. In ACtA (late 2266/early 2267), he had one. In SiL (2281), he didn't. Nothing wrong with that. Guys do that all the time, grow a beard, live with it for awhile, get tired of it, and shave it off. Perfectly normal.

I think you took my statement out of context..when I said that seeing Sheridan again after watching SIL it could have provoked a bittersweet response to some people who have watched the show..I realize that the show it filmed out of order it was just something that might help certain people who watched the movie realize why they had a dry taste in their mouth. Plus with the beard statement I wasn't saying that Sheridan having a beard was a problem it's just that his beard is quite different than what it looked like in season 5 plus I think it's even different than SIL even. I have a mustache from time to time and even in my security job I wish I could grow a beard but can't but it had nothing to do with the series it was just an observation that's all

Too dark? Nooooo. It's that "voltage" that's needed to get Crusade started. Some might say that because you know the Drakh plague is cured by the time you get to SiL (2281), it reduces the effect of the end of ACtA, by making that not dark. You know the cure is found so the peril is defused. Personally, I think that is partly true, but I would have been able to watch Crusade and enjoy the ride, i.e. enjoy finding out how they found the cure and what happened to them along the way. Enjoy the moment, people! If you get on a roller coaster, you pretty much know that you'll be OK when the ride ends, but you still enjoy it, right?

I never said it was too dark..I said was it was very dark...too dark no. Again this is my humble opinion nothing to do with yours. I'm not on this site to fight with anyone I'm just pointing out that IMHO it's a very dark movie. People enjoy watching the new Battlestar Galactica as well but if anyone says it isn't darker than the original than they are lying but here it's different if you don't think it's dark great and if it is dark great as well. Besides just because a show is dark doesn't mean it isn't good. I am enjoying the moment but we are all here to analyze the show on our own opinons. Watching B5 to me is like a jigsaw puzzle. Watching many sci fi shows seem to be the same they are very linear but what I love about B5 each episode may reveal a spoiler but when you watch the whole show it's like putting all the pieces together. I too love little spoilers and finding out how point B got to point C or whatever. Either way I'm sure most people agree that the Drakh are dark characters..besides my ex-girlfriend was quite frightened by the Drakh. I hope I'm not nitpicking but I felt like some people are nitpicking towards my opinion. Spelling Delenn wrong is one thing that I didn't get upset about and I'm not even getting upset here it's just that I have certain opinions and I'm sticking with them. I love this board and going to continue to post messages as long as I don't of course make a remark that is vulgar or desparages towards another person. I'm having fun..YeAH:beer:

Last edited:
[thread-drift]
I have had a beard for almost 20 years, and it has changed a number of times over that period. Sometimes I wear a full beard (but kept pretty short), sometimes a goatie (my favourite, which I am wearing at the moment), sometimes I get rid of the moustache altogether and just have half a goatie.

Look at photos of me from the last 20 years and you will see various forms at various times ... and where it used to be brown and ginger (thanks Dad!) it is now brown, ginger and grey.

:D
[/thread-drift]

Time to rewatch the DVDs. If only I had the time.....

I think you took my statement out of context..when I said that seeing Sheridan again after watching SIL it could have provoked a bittersweet response to some people who have watched the show..I realize that the show it filmed out of order it was just something that might help certain people who watched the movie realize why they had a dry taste in their mouth. Plus with the beard statement I wasn't saying that Sheridan having a beard was a problem it's just that his beard is quite different than what it looked like in season 5 plus I think it's even different than SIL even.

IIRC: In Season 5 (2262), Sheridan's beard had a lot of red in it. In ACtA (2267), he's older and greyer, and so is his beard (sort of salt & pepper). In SiL, it's 2281, and it's greyer. Makes sense. Somebody watching in an order that is not Season 5 thru Objects at Rest, ACtA, and then SiL, has to realize what years those are supposed to take place. Me, I can watch any of them in any order and it doesn't bother me in the least, because I know when they're taking place.

I never said it was too dark..I said was it was very dark...too dark no. Again this is my humble opinion nothing to do with yours. I'm not on this site to fight

Nobody's fighting. I was replying to you and A_M_Swallow.

...with anyone I'm just pointing out that IMHO it's a very dark movie.

I was also saying that, it's not very dark IF you've seen SiL prior to ACtA (SiL aired before ACtA.) because you know the plague gets cured by 2281. Otherwise, how would Dr. Franklin, who was on Earth when the plague was released into Earth's atmosphere in 12/2266, be on Mars in 2281? That mitigates the darkness of the ending of ACtA.

People enjoy watching the new Battlestar Galactica as well but if anyone says it isn't darker than the original than they are lying but here it's different if you don't think it's dark great and if it is dark great as well. Besides just because a show is dark doesn't mean it isn't good. I am enjoying the moment but we are all here to analyze the show on our own opinons.

I think you're being oversensitive here. Nobody is trying to overrule or silence anybody else, or say that the other person is wrong, Also, I don't want to have to preface everything I say, that's the least bit a judgement call, with "IMHO." I'm just saying that the ending of ACtA isn't as dark as some people are making it out to be and giving the reason why I think so. Feel free to disagree, but at least state WHY you disagree.

I hope I'm not nitpicking but I felt like some people are nitpicking towards my opinion. Spelling Delenn wrong is one thing that I didn't get upset about and

I'm not nitpicking. Trust me, you haven't even gotten a whiff of nitpicking. Go on rastb5m if you want to see nitpicking by some professional pedants. I just quietly corrected the spelling in the quote, giving you the chance to silently correct it, if you wanted to. I didn't call you on it. I didn't say "Hey, that's Delenn NOT Deleen." I just quietly corrected it in the quote. Trust me, that's as "kid gloves" as it gets. Also, it's against my nature to leave something wrong in a quote, if I notice it. I can't refrain from making it right.

I remembered really liking this film, but now that I've seen it again I found myself rather disappointed. The CGI and premise of the story were great, but the execution could've been pulled off a lot better and I ended up feeling that this movie was just average (C+).

I found myself very put off by the music, and as it turns out I go look at the lurker's guide and find that apparently is one of the major criticisms of the film. A certain degree of intensity and drama was attainable here, but I found myself not getting as into it as I wanted to be.

(Also, if Galen can tell the thief woman to come along just to tell Sheridan to pick the the sneaky target, couldn't he just tell Sheridan where to fire?)

For some reason I hadn't seen this movie before, and considering how many times I watch through the entire show every year it's downright strange how I've managed to miss watching this. I've got the big universe dvd box, so it's right there in front of my face... but... *shrug*

The story was pretty good overall but as a movie and even from a fan's perspective, the movie felt oddly uneven. Amateurish even. I'll attribute huge amounts of that to the absolutely abysmal soundtrack that had me giggling like a teenage girl after someone says "p*nis". I prolly haven't heard a worse soundtrack than Chen's work with this and the Crusade series. I wonder if the guy is still at making "music".

Still, it was damned great to see the old gang again in something "new". Sheridan looked great but acted a bit too much like a crazy old kook and Garibaldi was a tad too mellow from... let's say the first half of season 5, where I consider him at his best.

As many others before me in this thread I loved the movie and I even gave it an A, but like others, it's a problematic A, only for the music, that horrible bongo banging music. It killed 90% of the fun in Crusade, here it wasn't as powerful a distraction, but a pain none the less. I simply can't understand who would pay anyone to make that noise...

Other than that I loved every bit of it.

As many others before me in this thread I loved the movie and I even gave it an A, but like others, it's a problematic A, only for the music, that horrible bongo banging music. It killed 90% of the fun in Crusade, here it wasn't as powerful a distraction, but a pain none the less. I simply can't understand who would pay anyone to make that noise...

I think jms was experimenting... Evan Chen is an eastern composer. Here in the West we only have 24 major and minor keys in music. Oriental music has a few more which to our ears probably sound like bum notes.

Jms has always tried to push the envelope with what can be done to improve a story using the various tools in television production. He didn't play safe, he tried to be daring... he gambled and it didn't pay off.

I think we were extremely fortunate that 90% of the time his instincts were right and B5 was a lot better for it.

This was one time that the gamble didn't work... but I won't hold it against him because at the end of the day he was specualting to accumulate in terms of performance and dramatic effect.

I never understood such revulsion to the Crusade music. It was strange the first time through, but, I grew to appreciate it fit the new series perfectly

I never understood such revulsion to the Crusade music. It was strange the first time through, but, I grew to appreciate it fit the new series perfectly

But therein lies a problem... when it's an established series, new music can grow on you (B5's music consistently changed but because in the first series it was dynamic, it hit the ground running). Crusade had no such advantage, it was something new and unusual from scratch and didn't really have a chance to grow on you in a single run.

But then Crusade was shot down in flames before it even left the nest.

Executives are pooheads!

But therein lies a problem... when it's an established series, new music can grow on you (B5's music consistently changed but because in the first series it was dynamic, it hit the ground running). Crusade had no such advantage, it was something new and unusual from scratch and didn't really have a chance to grow on you in a single run.

But then Crusade was shot down in flames before it even left the nest.

Executives are pooheads!

Yes, suits are.

It was strange, and perhaps a bit jarring, but, I never found it objectionable like so many did. I seen/heard many people absolutely horrified by it. Of course, I didn't loathe Byron's gang and their "We Will All Come Together In a Better Place..." or the JMS written song that Dr. Franklin's Caitlin sang either. Byron's Gang in general I enjoyed being part of the series, because you were supposed to dislike their characters, where other people felt they really hurt the show tremendously.

Last edited:
It was strange, and perhaps a bit jarring, but, I never found it objectionable like so many did. I seen/heard many people absolutely horrified by it. Of course, I didn't loathe Byron's gang and their "We Will All Come Together In a Better Place..." or the JMS written song that Dr. Franklin's Caitlin sang either. Byron's Gang in general I enjoyed being part of the series, because you were supposed to dislike their characters, where other people felt they really hurt the show tremendously.

Though we disagree in the political thread, I agree completely here. :eek:

Chen's music was strange and jarring, and quite a change from Franke. But I liked it quite a bit, even though I don't like "industrial" music, which it resembles. I particularly liked it in the battle scenes.

Though we disagree in the political thread, I agree completely here. :eek:
:D

You can find common ground in B5, even with the most lunatic fringes in politics. Though Capt. Dayton (I think that was the poster's handle) even found a way to bring his POlitical disagreements into his watching :eek:

Exactly! ...well except the awful noise at the end of "Ruling from the Tomb" (baby crying, dog barking, etc.). Go have a listen and you'll know what I mean, the stuff over the end credits. Other than that, I completely agree with Sindatur.

From memory, I haven't watched Crusade for probably a couple of years now:
I especially like the music at the end of "The Needs of Earth" as Gideon is walking down the hall, upon leaving the datacrystal with Dureena. I also like the music at the end of "Appearances and Other Deceits" as Gideon is recording the messages for the families of the two fallen crewmen, and the music as Max is reading the back of the photo of Mr. Kitty, which Cynthia had just sent him. Great stuff!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back