B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old August 27th 07, 21:54   #1
Jade Jaguar
First One

What are you watching now?

We have several threads on various TV shows, and movies, but I thought a thread for DVDs we have watched recently would be interesting... hopefully with a bit more of a review than in the "listening to" thread. I'll start it off...

WHV finally did something exactly right, even superb! I'm sure everyone here knows at least some of the various glitches in the B5 DVD release. They released the first season of the Kung Fu TV series in letterbox, cutting off a lot of the 4x3 frame. Also I hate the way they have released Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies. They are slapped together in rather poor order, with a few true "Golden Age" cartoons mixed with a few from the 50s, often in no particular order.

Well, they just came out with Popeye the Sailor, 1933-1938. It is magnificent! They did new restorations of the original Fleischer Studios cartoons, and new transfers, which have the original intro cards, nothing edited out, and aren't cropped around the outside edges. They look wonderful. But, that is just the beginning. They put them on the discs in chronoligical order, by original release dates! This adds much to the enjoyment, and understanding of the series. You can see how the characters, and animation changed, and evolved, over time. Many of the cartoons have audio commentaries by animation experts. They put 15 cartoons on each disc, and filled each out with short docs on the studio, artists, and characters. They also included several rare silent era cartoons by the Fleischer Bros. on each disc. Also, two of the three color Popeye two-reelers are included.

This is intended to be followed by a second release, in Nov., that will complete the Fleischer Studios Popeyes. I sure wish WHV would give the same treatment to the rest of the Fleischer catalog, and to their own catalog of cartoons! Okay, just one complaint... the four disc holder has two discs overlapping the other two, so you must remove one disc to get to another. And, one hub prong was broken, but the disc played.

So, comment on this if you like, and/or post something good you have seen on DVD lately. In a couple of weeks, I will receive the movie "Performance,"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066214/, and in the end of October, O, Lucky Man. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070464/ These are both great films of the late 60s, early 70's, that WHV has been dragging their heels on releasing, but are finally coming out.
Benjamin Franklin 1775

"I know that the hypnotized never lie... Do ya?"
Pete Townshend 1971

FREE LEONARD PELTIER

Last edited by Jade Jaguar; August 27th 07 at 21:58.
Jade Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th 07, 04:45   #2
GKarsEye
First One

Re: What are you watching now?

The last really interesting thing I saw on DVD was a Japanese flick from a few years ago called Battle Royale. It's basically a bunch of teenagers who are on an island for three days forced to kill each other until one is left. The movie is really cool- like Highlander meets Lord of the Flies. The DVD itself suffers from really awful English translation in the subtitles though.
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th 07, 12:52   #3
darth_librarian
Psi Cop

Just watched True Romance (again) and saw Kiss Kiss Bang Bang with Robert Downey Jnr. It was great, brilliantly funny and well worth sticking on your Netflicks or whatever,,,

Currently trying to track down Star Trek 2 on the cheap...

"There's no point debating anything online. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional "live audience" quickly conspire to create a "perfect storm" of perpetual bickering."
- Charlie Brooker
darth_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th 07, 19:43   #4
Chilli
High Treason Prevention Officer

Send a message via ICQ to Chilli Send a message via MSN to Chilli

I've recently watched ..

*Brazil - a completely freaky movie. Oddly, I didn't much enjoy watching it at all. But I was blown away by it when it was over nevertheless. Quite an odd experience, that - watching a movie, thinking that it was kind of sucking all the way to the end, bored out of my skull .. roll credits, and go .. "WOAW!"

*The Wizard of Ozz - catching up on cultural phenomena that have been lost on me. Some will remain lost on me ...

*The Twilight Zone, um to the middle of the second season.

*Babylon 5, for the first time properly from DVD.
Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th 07, 23:40   #5
hypatia
First One

Yea, they tried to sell the USA an "edited" version which completely edits out the real ending. :angry:

Thankfully, I've never known anyone to actually have seen it and not the other.

Yes, it's a nice ending.
Old August 28th 07, 23:57   #6
Jade Jaguar
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypatia View Post
Yea, they tried to sell the USA an "edited" version which completely edits out the real ending. :angry:

Thankfully, I've never known anyone to actually have seen it and not the other.

Yes, it's a nice ending.
Terry Gilliam had such a struggle to get Brazil released, that there is a book written about it. He "previewed" it, repeatedly, to a USC film class. Some film critics saw it there, and gave it the LA Film Critics' "Best Picture of the Year Award. THis, and a few other tricks, finally shamed the studio into releasing it with the ending Gilliam wanted. Check "trivia" for Brazil on the IMDb for lots of interesting info! I think the short version, with the happy Hollywood ending, has only been shown on TV.
Benjamin Franklin 1775

Pete Townshend 1971

FREE LEONARD PELTIER
Old August 29th 07, 03:44   #7
hypatia
First One

That's bad enough.

I mean they cut the whole ENDING? Why stick to the story so closely just to blow it, big-time, with the edited ending.

I had heard people were outraged (fans of his) but good for Gilllian figuring out how to shame them, as you say, into releasing it properly.
Old August 29th 07, 04:32   #8
KoshN

American Gothic - currently on DVD #3.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th 07, 14:21   #9
darth_librarian
Psi Cop

The Fisher King makes a nice follow up to Brazil. He eventually got the ending in Brazil he wanted, but used up a lot of Hollywood credit.

"There's no point debating anything online. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional "live audience" quickly conspire to create a "perfect storm" of perpetual bickering."
- Charlie Brooker
darth_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st 07, 19:56   #10
Jade Jaguar
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by darth_librarian View Post
The Fisher King makes a nice follow up to Brazil. He eventually got the ending in Brazil he wanted, but used up a lot of Hollywood credit.
I like The Fisher King a lot. I think it is the best thing Robin Williams ever did, and one of Gilliam's best.
Benjamin Franklin 1775

Pete Townshend 1971

FREE LEONARD PELTIER