B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old February 17th 09, 23:33   #601
Chilli
High Treason Prevention Officer

Send a message via ICQ to Chilli Send a message via MSN to Chilli
Re: What are you watching now?

Went to see a random Japanese movie called Always Sanchōme no Yūhi when in Budapest the other day, and running into an artsy-fartsy movie theatre with friends. Basically about life on a random street in a low-class district of post-WWII Tokyo. Was sappy as hell, and I get the feeling that the movie would have made me puke if it had been American. As it was, though, I found it strangely touching and beautiful. Either the Japanese just do sap better, or I'm losing my edge.

Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th 09, 01:29   #602
GKarsEye
First One

My backlash to The Blair Witch Project was that I love horror movies, this one got a lot of hype, I was excited to see it, and was bored out of my mind. And yes, I've enjoyed my fair share of "subtle" spook flicks and low-budget ones, so it's not an issue w/ style.

Let's see, what have I watched recently...

How the West Was Won
A 3hr Western epic with a crapload of superstars. Apparently the CINERAMA direction was a big deal and the movie was mostly to show-off the technology, but I have a soft spot of the oldies and the westerns so it was alright for what it is, especially as I broke it up over a period of two days.

3... Extremes
A collection of 3 short Asian horror films by different directors, including Takeshi Miike (the reason I watched it). His was pretty solid, the Korean one was good too and the Chinese one I thought was stupid.

Suspiria
The horror director Dario Argento came to my attention with his entry in the Masters of Horror episode Jennifer, and this is his most famous one. Kind of boring and dated to me, but the color scheme was certainly... well, interesting.
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th 09, 01:29   #603
Jade Jaguar
First One

I just watched I'm A Cyborg, But That's OK, by the Korean film director who made Sympathy For Lady Vengeance. The "cyborg" is a girl who works in an electronics factory, and due to her mental condition, and surroundings, comes to believe she is a cyborg. She slices her wrist, inserts a couple of wires, tapes it up, then plugs the wires into an electric socket. In the looney bin, she meets a guy who wears different masks, and believes he can assume character traits of other people. This is a really wild, surreal, crazy film, that is nominally a romantic comedy. The scenes where (in her mind) she blows away the hospital staff, by shooting bullets from her fingers, is worthy of Jodorowsky!
Benjamin Franklin 1775

"I know that the hypnotized never lie... Do ya?"
Pete Townshend 1971

FREE LEONARD PELTIER
Jade Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th 09, 01:34   #604
Alluveal
Psi Cop

Blair Witch was ok. I sat too close to the screen and it made me sick.

I love some good, subtle, slow-moving horror movies sometimes. The Changeling is a good example of classic, non-slasher horror.
Alluveal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th 09, 02:54   #605
Jade Jaguar
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alluveal View Post
It had that effect on lots of people, who are not accustomed to hand held camera techniques, called "shaky cam" by us experimental film aficionados. Blair Witch's real innovation was in how it was marketed over the internet. I thought it was interesting. I never believed it was a true story. I didn't think it was really quite up to its hype, but was still much better than its detractors would have us believe.
Benjamin Franklin 1775

Pete Townshend 1971

FREE LEONARD PELTIER
Old February 18th 09, 03:04   #606
Jade Jaguar
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKarsEye View Post
3... Extremes
A collection of 3 short Asian horror films by different directors, including Takeshi Miike (the reason I watched it). His was pretty solid, the Korean one was good too and the Chinese one I thought was stupid.

Suspiria
The horror director Dario Argento came to my attention with his entry in the Masters of Horror episode Jennifer, and this is his most famous one. Kind of boring and dated to me, but the color scheme was certainly... well, interesting.
I'm a Miike Fan as well. Audition is my favorite. But, I think Kiyoshi Kurosawa'a Cure beats him. Suspiria- a true classic. Sorry you couldn't appreciate it. It IS very stylized, including the color scheme...
Benjamin Franklin 1775

Pete Townshend 1971

FREE LEONARD PELTIER
Old February 18th 09, 12:51   #607
GKarsEye
First One

Well certainly when it comes to Miike, most people would cite either Audition or Ichi the Killer as their favorites, Audition being the one for me, if only for that scene... you know the scene... ringing telephone, burlap sack...

Added Cure to the queue. I'm a recent convert to Asian horror, so tx for that.
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th 09, 03:00   #608
hypatia
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alluveal View Post

I love some good, subtle, slow-moving horror movies sometimes. The Changeling is a good example of classic, non-slasher horror.
The mock-documentary style with the shakey cam was annoying to me. A bit like a running pun that wasn't funny to begin with, it felt like they kept pushing a style that simply wasn't effective.

The "shakey cam" didn't make me sick. Watching a supposed documentary of a group of young adults who were too stupid to navigate their way out of a small forest-y area with the aid of a compass and a map did.

I came to the firm conclusion by the end that they deserved to die.
Old February 19th 09, 16:31   #609
Cell
Telepath

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypatia View Post
The mock-documentary style with the shakey cam was annoying to me. A bit like a running pun that wasn't funny to begin with, it felt like they kept pushing a style that simply wasn't effective.

The "shakey cam" didn't make me sick. Watching a supposed documentary of a group of young adults who were too stupid to navigate their way out of a small forest-y area with the aid of a compass and a map did.

I came to the firm conclusion by the end that they deserved to die.
Even with the map or the compass they weren't going to navigate out of the woods, that was where the malevolent presence came into play. This was highlighted later when they stayed on the same course and still ended up at the same spot they had camped at the night before. No matter what after those kids spent their first night in the woods they weren't getting out because the witch didn't want them to.
"When you have reached the end of the road then you can decide whether to go to the left or the right, to fire or to water. If you make those decisions before you have even set foot upon the road it will take you nowhere." - Galen
Cell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th 09, 09:07   #610
darth_librarian
Psi Cop

That was what I found uncomfortable with this film, the total supernatural distortion of reality.

"There's no point debating anything online. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional "live audience" quickly conspire to create a "perfect storm" of perpetual bickering."
- Charlie Brooker
darth_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote