• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Two JMS books coming in 2021

Jan

Regular
JMS has mentioned these a couple of times at cons last year but until now we didn't have titles.

Becoming a Writer, Staying a Writer: The Artistry, Joy, and Career of Storytelling is now available for pre-order. So far I only see it as a paperback.

And included in the 'About the Author' section for the writing book we find:

His latest novel, Together We Will Go, will be released in March 2021 from Simon & Shuster.

So there's two more reasons to wish 2020 to be over! :LOL:

HAHAHA!!!!! I wonder how many people in the world can't wait for this year to be over just because books are coming out next year? :LOL:

I've just read Becoming Superman and found it to be on the most inspiring (and horrifying in places) books I've read. I'm a writer by trade so JMS' new writing book will of interest, and I'll also be interested in his new novel. Do we know what genre it is? I'm assuming it's not science fiction, or horror like his previous novels.

I've just read Becoming Superman and found it to be on the most inspiring (and horrifying in places) books I've read. I'm a writer by trade so JMS' new writing book will of interest, and I'll also be interested in his new novel. Do we know what genre it is? I'm assuming it's not science fiction, or horror like his previous novels.

All he's said is that it's a mainstream novel and hasn't indicated any sub-genre so far.

All he's said is that it's a mainstream novel and hasn't indicated any sub-genre so far.

BUT what is your guess? Any speculation?

Couldn't even begin to guess. JMS doing something mainstream is a major surprise in the first place. What he's said before about it was:
"It's controversial subject matter within a non-standard, non-linear format... It can go wrong in a number of startling ways, but the challenge is the whole purpose of doing it. I'm not known for writing mainstream novels. I figured, let's go outside the box a bit."

So I'll go so far as to guess that it's not a romance. :p

So I'll go so far as to guess that it's not a romance. :p

Way to shatter my dreams Jan!!!!! ....... :guffaw::LOL::guffaw: ;)

I so wish for a great JMS Mystery novel. Any sort of Detective, Police, Private, or other. And actually I would like to see it with as little Fantasy or Supernatural qualities as possible. :LOL:

I think I've let it be known that I would LOVE to do a series that is just based on crime solving on B5, either Garibaldi or Zack or both at the helm. I lean more toward Zack because there is more room to expand over years of service. I know in the series (can't say about the books) we didn't get in depth looks into Zack investigative background, knowledge, or techniques so that could also be explored. Plus I can't think of one instance where we got Zack really going undercover, as Garibaldi did several times. Again I can't speak to the books because I am EXTREMELY LAZY when it comes to reading. :rolleyes:

Plus I can't think of one instance where we got Zack really going undercover, as Garibaldi did several times. Again I can't speak to the books because I am EXTREMELY LAZY when it comes to reading. :rolleyes:

Zack...no. Lou Welch...yes. :p

JMS put out the information on his mainstream novel last night. Sounds *very* different from anything we've seen from him before!

Major news, everyone!

I’ve always believed in writing stories unlike anything I’d written before, taking chances and pushing myself creatively. And the most significant culmination of that process is Together We Will Go, which has just landed for pre-orders. https://www.amazon.com/Together-We-Will.../dp/1982142588/

It’s not SF, fantasy, or a graphic novel; it’s a mainstream novel about a challenging subject written in epistolary style. I feel it’s one of the best things I’ve written, and maybe one of the most important. If this was all that ended up on my epitaph, I’d be okay with that. It’s that kind of book. Personal as hell.
Together We Will Go is a deeply personal love letter about characters who are beautiful and flawed, who got lost on the road only to find others willing to share their journey, however it may end. It’s quirky, funny, tragic, and most of all, optimistic at a time when that is in short supply.

The publisher describes it as “The Breakfast Club meets The Silver Linings Playbook in this powerful, provocative, and heartfelt novel about twelve endearing strangers who come together to make the most of their final days.”

The story is told through first-person accounts that reveal what brought our diverse characters together and why. We also see their texts, emails, journals and voicemails, creating the sense of looking over someone’s shoulder in real time as the story unfolds.

The novel will be given a full-court press by Simon and Schuster, one of the world’s largest and most respected publishers. I am particularly humbled by the fact that it’s coming out from their Scout Press imprint, which is reserved for books they consider of significant literary importance.

I’m very proud of it, and the publisher is excited by what it’s about, what it means, and where this all may go. I’ve had several career-defining moments in my life; this, I believe, is another. The plot description can be found at the site in terms better and clearer than can be done here.

I commend this book to you unreservedly. I would love nothing more than for the various groups who follow and support my work to spread the word about this so that we can bring the pre-orders to a level that would put it on the NY Times list the day it formally launches on 6 July.

As with much of my work, Together We Will Go is about hope, and love, and sacrifice; about the wonder and the glorious flaws of being human; it’s about what we can mean to, and for, one another; and what we stand for when standing is the hardest. I love this book, and I believe you will as well.
"

So far I've only seen that folks can pre-order in the US and Germany. There *will* be an audio book and JMS describes it as almost an audio drama with multiple narrators voicing the twelve characters.

JMS put out the information on his mainstream novel last night. Sounds *very* different from anything we've seen from him before!

Major news, everyone!

I’ve always believed in writing stories unlike anything I’d written before, taking chances and pushing myself creatively. And the most significant culmination of that process is Together We Will Go, which has just landed for pre-orders. https://www.amazon.com/Together-We-Will.../dp/1982142588/

It’s not SF, fantasy, or a graphic novel; it’s a mainstream novel about a challenging subject written in epistolary style. I feel it’s one of the best things I’ve written, and maybe one of the most important. If this was all that ended up on my epitaph, I’d be okay with that. It’s that kind of book. Personal as hell.
Together We Will Go is a deeply personal love letter about characters who are beautiful and flawed, who got lost on the road only to find others willing to share their journey, however it may end. It’s quirky, funny, tragic, and most of all, optimistic at a time when that is in short supply.

The publisher describes it as “The Breakfast Club meets The Silver Linings Playbook in this powerful, provocative, and heartfelt novel about twelve endearing strangers who come together to make the most of their final days.”

The story is told through first-person accounts that reveal what brought our diverse characters together and why. We also see their texts, emails, journals and voicemails, creating the sense of looking over someone’s shoulder in real time as the story unfolds.

The novel will be given a full-court press by Simon and Schuster, one of the world’s largest and most respected publishers. I am particularly humbled by the fact that it’s coming out from their Scout Press imprint, which is reserved for books they consider of significant literary importance.

I’m very proud of it, and the publisher is excited by what it’s about, what it means, and where this all may go. I’ve had several career-defining moments in my life; this, I believe, is another. The plot description can be found at the site in terms better and clearer than can be done here.

I commend this book to you unreservedly. I would love nothing more than for the various groups who follow and support my work to spread the word about this so that we can bring the pre-orders to a level that would put it on the NY Times list the day it formally launches on 6 July.

As with much of my work, Together We Will Go is about hope, and love, and sacrifice; about the wonder and the glorious flaws of being human; it’s about what we can mean to, and for, one another; and what we stand for when standing is the hardest. I love this book, and I believe you will as well.
"

So far I've only seen that folks can pre-order in the US and Germany. There *will* be an audio book and JMS describes it as almost an audio drama with multiple narrators voicing the twelve characters.

That does sound interesting, and a very different style and genre. Thanks a lot for sharing the information!

Hi Hypatia. Just liked how that rolled off the tongue. :LOL:

It is going to be a long time looking at my Amazon orders seeing that book out there. I think this is my earliest pre-order on anything. LOL

For those interested, 'Together We Will Go' is now available for pre-order at Amazon UK.

Quick update on the two books:

- Becoming a Writer, Staying a Writer was released on June 1 in paperback, e-book and audio versions. It's completely different from his book on screenwriting from years back.

- Together We Will Go is going to be released on July in hardcover, e-book and audio versions. The audio book has eleven narrators listed which should work nicely as there are twelve characters and it's written in epistolary format. This is NOT a genre book at all. I've read an advance copy and it's perhaps the most amazing book I've read in at least a decade. Just amazing characters and heart and humor and passion. It'll break your heart and leave you uplifted.

So far there's only one event that I've heard of for the release of "Together We Will Go", a free virtual event on release day, July 6: https://www.raintaxi.com/j-michael-straczynski/

Last edited:
Thanks for the update Jan. I forgot how close it actually is to me getting my hardcover of TOGETHER WE WILL GO. :thumbsup:

Here in the UK we get Becoming a Writer... on 21 June, and Together We Will Go on 6 July.

For some reason we don't seem to be getting a hardback version of Together We Will Go in the UK, which is a shame.

Looks like the audio book of Becoming Superman is currently on sale over at Audible. Apparently for the month of October, it is selling for $5.99(ish).

1696283497699.png

Latest posts

Members online

Back