• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

So...what is everybody reading now? (part Deux)

I am re-reading Phillip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" trilogy. Currently in the first quarter of "The Subtle Knife". The first book was made into the film "The Golden Compass". I can highly recommend the books.

That's funny I recently finished Ender's Game myself.

Just finished American Psycho. Had to isolate myself from women for a couple of days because I was afraid I'd look at them funny.

Ender's Game is a true classic; I've been known to put it down after finishing, and then immediately pick it back up again. Personally I think the sequels are nowhere near the same level... but then, it's such a hard level to reach. Amazing work.

I'm currently reading "About Face" by Col. David Hackworth, about his experiences in the US Army from immediately following World War II all the way to Vietnam. It's fascinating reading; Hackworth truly loved the Army and truly loved fighting, but was never afraid to call BS -- and he called it, with increasing frequency, as the years went on and the Army became mired in increasingly pointless wars.

What did you think of Ender, GKE? Very sad ending, if you ask me.

Didn't the guy end up living somewhat happily ever after?

Anyway, I think I would have appreciated this book more if I had read it as a teenager, when almost everyone else did.

two books to mention, One I have read is called the Star Rover By Jack London, his only fantasy novel and probably the greatest book that the man ever wrote, it is the story of a death row inmate in a strait jacket who discovers he uses trancendental meditation to try to ease the pain of being tied up in the jacket and a funny thing happens,he discovers that he can not only leave his body ,but he can astral project himself into his past lives at will.This book is not like anything he ever wrote before ,even the style of writing is different. It is wonderful read, epic in scope and scale it is a journey across time space and history. Almost no one has ever heard of this great book. The second book that would suggest is Glen Cooks scif Novel The Dragon Never Sleeps, gritty wonderful military scif.

Thread revival, as I seem to have been a year late with reading Ender's Game - which I just finished.

Greatly enjoyed it, though I totally called the final plot twists half-way through. Hah!

I've got Speaker for the Dead lying on my shelf, as I picked it up, with Ender's Game, at a flea market for something like a dollar for both. Is it, or any other sequel, worth reading?

Speaker for the Dead is definitely worth reading. The others are... debated. Xenocide and Children of the Mind are, in my opinion, very weird (but it's been a long time since I read them). Ender's Shadow is okay if you don't mind character derailment, and all the sequels to Shadow are Card being political.

Of course I recently got bitch-slapped by a good friend for doubting the quality of Children of the Mind, so who knows?

Personally I'm re-reading what is possibly my favorite book ever, A Hat Full of Sky by Terry Pratchett.

I finished Martin's last one of Ice and Fire (Feast for Crows.) I went into it knowing it was limited to certain perspectives (i.e. King's Landing, etc.) I was ok with it. Really liked it. Got a little frustrated with all the Iron Men stories. I just didn't find all of them interesting (I felt the same way with Theon in the previous book.) Asha is interesting, but we didn't get her perspective but once.

Really looking forward to Dance of Dragons, though.

I have two volumes of short stories by Martin. I chose him for my master's portfolio (we have to focus on one author and read most/all of their works and analyze their writing styles, etc.)

After the short stories, I'll start in with the Wild Card series, then the hedge knight stuff (I think those are graphic novels.) Hopefully I can get everything I need/want.

Not reading much outside of class right now. Class stuff includes: Raymond Carver short stories, "She" by Haggard, Jane Eyre, Great Expectations and a bunch of craft essays.

Usually don't have much time for myself during a semester. This summer, I hope to go hog wild.

I've been listening to the Wicked series on Audio CD. Loved the first one Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West, thought Son of a Witch was really good too, but, not quite as good as Wicked. Working on A Lion Among Men (The 3rd book) now, about 1/2 way through. I'm quite enjoying it, especially Brrr and Yackel's characters.

I have two volumes of short stories by Martin. I chose him for my master's portfolio (we have to focus on one author and read most/all of their works and analyze their writing styles, etc.)

After the short stories, I'll start in with the Wild Card series, then the hedge knight stuff (I think those are graphic novels.) Hopefully I can get everything I need/want.

The Hedge Knight tales started off as longish short stories in Robert Silverberg's "Legends" series, but yes, they've been converted to graphic novels as well. Wild Cards was interesting but then got kinda hard for me to follow and, frankly, also got kinda icky.

I've never read any of his short stories; let me know how you like them.

After a long absence I've dived back into fantasy/sci-fi type stuff.
Read a bunch of Stephen King: Salom's Lot (not crazy about it), Delores Claiborne (loved it more than I would have imagined), and a collection of short stories that included The Langolieres.

Now I'm on Clive Barker's Weaveworld. It's... alright. Meh. The story's pretty dumb but he writes real pretty.

Weaveworld was a better Barker really. I read Mister B. Gone, which was pretty sucky.

Just finished Acacia: The War with the Mein by David Anthony Durham. Somthing to kill time whilst waiting for the next George RR Martin. That and the latest Peter Hamilton and Alistair Reynolds.

Currently reading Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress via iPhone... then I'll be moving on To Kill A Mockingbird in a more traditional format.

Recently I read "Stonewall," abouth the riots that kicked off the gay-rights movement, and "Stone Butch Blues," which is considered a gay/lesbian/trans classic. Both powerful in quite different ways -- the history extraordinarily well researched, the novel almost painfully personal. I recommend them both strongly if you're interested in gay or lesbian topics. If you're not, you probably oughta read Stonewall anyway... it's an eye-opener.

Now, to sort of decompress, I'm reading John Steinbeck's "The Short Rein of Pippin IV."

Back