• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Deadwood

GKarsEye

Regular
I know I've started one or two threads about this show before, and I think there was like one other person who watches this, but whatever- season 2 DVDs come out next week and season 3 starts June 11!

HBO supposedly was so psyched about season 3 that they changed their initial plan of continuing to air it after The Sopranos and instead waited for Sopranos to end so they could give it that prime spot (and put the new series Big Love in the old Deadwood spot).

Unfortunately this made them take their sweet-ass time releasing the season 2 DVDs right before the new season airs... man I hate the crap. Of course I want to re-watch season 2 before 3 starts, so I pre-ordered it (something I never do). And that's another thing- these DVDs are expensive as hell!

I definitely need to re-watch that stuff with Ms Inringhausen (sp?). That stuff with the telegram and the Pinkertons flew over my head the first time I watched it.
And can't wait to re-visit Mr W.

Some disturbing rumors circulating on the web is that season 3 may be Deadwood's last. Created/writer David Milch has said that he wanted to go 4 yrs with this (many theorise that he would have ended the show with the big fire of 1879). But supposedly the actors don't have contracts signed and will be free to pursue other work. If this is true, and considering the caliber actors here, this would in all likelihood kill any hope for season 4. Brad Dourif, aka Doc Cochran (aka Brother Edward) has openly complained about the pay of HBO actors.

Would be a shame, there's so many great stories to tell. Season 3 will obviously deal with the arrival of George Hearst and how that will effect everyvbody. They have to show the fall of Cy Tolliver (history records his saloon will become a grocery store).
Wyatt Earp passes through, and though Hollywood has burdened us with lord-knows-how many portrayals of Earp, I still would be interested in Deadwood's version, considering how awesome their Hickock was.

I'm also curious if any non-Americans watch this?

Anyways, I can't wait- I don't think I've ever been this excited about a TV show before (got into B5 after it went off the air so that don't count).
And all those who don't wanna watch "suck c**k by choice!"

I've also read that this may be the last season due to the contracts of actors. This show has kicked ass its first two seasons, and as GKE said, there is still so much more potential, especially with the arrival of Hearst.

I really hope this isn't the final season, but I suppose only time will really tell.

I love this show. I haven't bought the dvd sets yet, but that is because I recorded all of season 1 and 2 to tape when they first aired. I have rewatched both seasons countless times.

I hadn't read this might be the last season. I didn't know those HBO c**ksuckers were so cheap in paying their actors. ;)

"E.B. was left out! E.B. was left out!"

Disc one of season 2 tops my q. I will now avoid this thread until I get through said season.

And yes I god damn hate that hbo waits until just before the next season before releasing dvds. This especially sucked when I had to catch up on the Sopranos.

Just watched this week's ep.

The last three episodes have now, I think, turned Deadwood into my favorite television show of all time, a position formerly held by Babylon 5.

And no, it's not just the eye (though... wow, anyway, eh?), but also Dan's behavior afterwards, and Hearst, and Steve the Drunk is just hilarious and disgusting.

Alma going back on the junk is just a catalyst/symptom of bigger plot points- most immediately, her relationship with her husband. That scene from last week where she came on to him was just enthralling; that moment when he went from rapture to utter emasculating shame and disgust. Can you imagine- your own wife has to get high to fake wanting to fuck you? Damn.

This week, Hearst totally patronising Tolliver was great. Loved how that slimeball had to swallow his pride like that.

E.B. claiming he thought Tolliver's bribe was orchestrated by Swearingen was funny and typically stupid of him.

Line of the week: "I have been involved in complicated negotiations with niggers!"

Line of the week: "I have been involved in complicated negotiations with niggers!"

racist.gif

I've loved this season but a couple of things have bugged me. While I get how Alma's returning addiction work within the story I just wish they had another way to show her unable to deal with her situation. That being said it has given us some great scenes.

Hostetler blowing his head off seemed a bit contrived. He wanted to off himself before because if he had to go out he wanted to do so on his own terms. A black man from that era has to have put up with worse than Steve the Drunk. Also I'm not sure even Steve the Drunk is stupid enough to enlist the Sheriff to look for a signed confession he wanted to keep from...the Sheriff.

Those being the tinniest of nits to pick.

There's been a lot of mixed reaction to Hostetler's suicide. I think the NG Fields' reaction to hearing that shotgun blast says it all- "damnit, I knew this would happen."

Hostetler was obsessed with trying to "prove" his worth as an equal. After chasing a wild horse for weeks to do so, only to be followed by Steve's bullshit, topped off with a ridiculous search for that stupid board, only for that also to prove futile, was just too much and something had to snap.

It was a momentary rush of irrationality built on a lifetime of dissappointments.

It reminded me of Do the Right Thing- the characters in that movie never spent their time staging race riots, but the underlying feelings and motivations were there. When pressured by the heat, it caused a few people to behave in irrational ways they normally wouldn't.

I've missed all the episodes this season up until this week's. I don't have HBO anymore so I haven't been able to follow it. My buddy replayed it for me and I thought it was one of the best episodes of the show I've seen.

Dan fighting Captain Cuntface was great, especially with that eye popping out. I liked Hosteltler and will miss his character. My friend had to fill me in on what was going on with him and the drunk.

I feel sorry for Elsworth. He knows Alma's a junkie and the only way she'll try to get intimate with him is to get all doped up. I'm really gonna have to try to catch up on the other episodes I missed.

I'm really gonna have to try to catch up on the other episodes I missed.

Yeah. I don't understand how anyone can not watch them in order. It can be kinda hard to follow *understatement of the year*

Dig Al mentoring Trixie! Priceless. His description of a miner john clawing on her made me shudder. At least I bathe before my whore-mongering.

How many episodes until Odell bites it? One, two?

Two, he has to get into position with Hearst before fucking up and trying to run his scam or whatever he's trying to do.

I still can't see Steve asking Bullock to help him find the board or Hostetler not at least saying "I will not take this from a Horse-fucker on his way to the shotgun.

Another killer ep.

Al seems to have some history with Gustav, the cloth salesman. The scene was hilarious- what a perfect look of amusement and disgust on Al's face. I think Al, despite is protestations, is a closet theater fan. He enjoyed Gustav's show and is friends with Langrishe.

Hearst cried, hah hah. The made me hate him more. Aw, nobody likes me because I kill at whim for personal profit, boo-hoo. Too bad we know he's gonna survive all this.

Now I'm beginning to think Odell won't die. He's a good way to get Hearst out of the camp, which is both something he wants and a way to sort of resolve some of the stories before the show goes off the air.

I don't think I've ever been so fascinated with an on-screen couple as much as I am with the Ellsworths. For the last few weeks, they are given pure acting gold (heh) to work with. I start holding my breath whenever they're on screen alone together.

I doubt he has history with Gustav, he just seems to treat people from outside his world differently. I thought the TWoP recap expressed that idea will. Al was just kinda aimlessly lost in thought, saw meeting w/ Gustav would make his day and let his gut make the decision to see him. If Al was worry free and focused on the immediate situation he probably would have shooed the guy away.

I do hate Hearst so. I hope he does go because it would be difficult to avoid writing into a corner with Hearst still on the scene.

As for another couple all I can say is Trixie must have some refined talents for Saul to take all the abuse so calmly and without the slightest hint of offense, easygoing personality or no.

Interesting episode this week.

I'm not sure what the hell Langrishe is doing with Hearst. His back cure was obviously a hoax... I guess he's trying to help Al, and he kind of explained it, but I didn't get it. I need to re-watch it.

Weird way to play the Earps- pretending to chase away fake road agents. I wonder what their "plan" is. I think the historical Earps were in Deadwood very very briefly, so I'm not expecting them to get really involved in the Hearst vs Everybody showdown.

I think Langrishe is good at reading people and influencing them. Giving back treatments, pyschosomatic or not, gives him time with Hearst to try and steer him out of town. Since they can't kill Hearst without destroying Deadwood they need to figure a way to get him to leave. That goes for both the characters and the writters.

Tonight's ep had a lot of great moments, though I need to process them a bit more.

I am, however, getting a little tired of Jonie and her fussing about the kids and the school. I know why it's there, but I just stopped caring.

Are we to assume then that Hearst killed Odell? I don't really get why, though.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back