• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Lost season 4 (spoilers)

GKarsEye

Regular
SO...

What did everyone think of the premier?

I dug it. Got a nice creepy feeling when future Hurley apologized to future Jack about going with Locke. I love the double timeline, talking to the dead nonsense. This show has been ridiculous from the get-go, so I want to see it just going for broke now.

Hurley has always been under-used. Glad to see them giving his character some more depth. Jorge Garcia is a great actor if you've seen him in some of his other work.

I love the new past/future aspect. Not only do we now have things to figure out on the island, but we have to figure out what happens in the future, too.

We now know that 6 of the castaways return home from the island. Three of them are Kate, Jack and Hurley. One of the 6 apparently dies and no one but Jack attends the funeral. If I had to guess right now, my money is on that person being John Locke. Partly because it's who we'd least expect (most people expect it to be Sawyer), but also because Locke has absolutely nothing to go back to. If Jack and Hurley are already having second thoughts about leaving, imagine how Locke must have felt to end up back home, likely in a wheelchair, with no one left to care about. Why would he leave the island in the first place? Maybe he feels he has to atone for something we haven't seen yet, or maybe he does it to protect the island somehow.

It's also possible that it isn't Locke at all. :) Can't wait to find out...

It was a Lost episode. It had a slow-motion, slow music scene. It had a running frantically through the jungle scene. And it had a plot that 80-90% of which is contingent upon future episodes to explain in order for it to make sense. Yup, it was a Lost episode alright.

LH, I wouldn't have guessed Sawyer. I think Kate and Sawyer have this weird bond where no matter what he does Kate would accept it and therefore go to his funeral.

I finally saw it, and thought it was good.

I'm really thinking the "Jacob" guy in the creepy cabin is Jack's father somehow. Man he looked like him in that episode.

I thought it was not surprising that Hurley didn't go with Jack at the end of the episode, but did find it weird that he was one of the "Oceanic 6" so how does he end up getting off the island with Jack? He obviously regrets the decision, which as we know Jack will eventually too (he said he was thinking of growing a beard when he saw Hurley, and had one in the S3 finale when he said he wanted to get back).

It will be interesting to see who the other 3 people who got off are....and if at some point Jack and company do go back to the island by the finale of the series.

I'm wondering if Hurley is the guy who dies. Granted, the coffin seemed small, but it would be an interesting twist...Jack being the only one who apparently is checking up on him now that they are off the island...maybe he is the only one who ends up going to his funeral.

Yea, clearly a lot more questions coming our way, but I still think its moving along well. Anyone know how short this season is going to be, what with the strike and all??

I finally saw it, and thought it was good.

I'm really thinking the "Jacob" guy in the creepy cabin is Jack's father somehow. Man he looked like him in that episode.

I was thinking that last season. His forehead/hairline seems to have the same outline.

I thought it was not surprising that Hurley didn't go with Jack at the end of the episode, but did find it weird that he was one of the "Oceanic 6" so how does he end up getting off the island with Jack? He obviously regrets the decision, which as we know Jack will eventually too (he said he was thinking of growing a beard when he saw Hurley, and had one in the S3 finale when he said he wanted to get back).

We aren't told why he regrets the decision though. I think it's more to do with the fact he is being pursued/tormented by dead people. He saw Charlie in the shop and at the institution... and the frogman in the police station. I think that something he experienced whilst with Locke, may have led to him being permanently affected in a "Sixth Sense" kind of way.

The other reason of course is that Hurley is a decent guy and probably regrets anything that has driven a wedge between him and Jack.

It is interesting to note that all three living escapees we have seen harbour at least some desire to get back.... though first Kate and now Jack are trying to move past that.

It will be interesting to see who the other 3 people who got off are....and if at some point Jack and company do go back to the island by the finale of the series.

I'm wondering if Hurley is the guy who dies. Granted, the coffin seemed small, but it would be an interesting twist...Jack being the only one who apparently is checking up on him now that they are off the island...maybe he is the only one who ends up going to his funeral.

Do you think hurley's comment about Jack's beard was a red herring then? It kind of implied that the previous flash forward pre-dates this one. Or are you really going into Sixtrh sense territory and suggesting that Hurley is dead and doesn't realise it?

Do you think hurley's comment about Jack's beard was a red herring then? It kind of implied that the previous flash forward pre-dates this one. Or are you really going into Sixtrh sense territory and suggesting that Hurley is dead and doesn't realise it?

I'm pretty sure that the flash forward we saw in the first episode of season 4 is before the flash forward we see at the end of season 3.

Talking about the end of season 3 and the funeral, I was looking at some stuff to do with this the other day and some fans have freeze framed the newspaper clip that Jack was holding just before the funeral. There is an image here:

http://bp0.blogger.com/_RrObyQ3XzcY...kw/ucINFuG1jfo/s1600-h/newspaperclipping2.jpg

It seems to suggest that the person whose funeral it is, that their name begins with "J" and that their surname ends in "ntham". So, assuming the person in the newspaper clipping is the person whose funeral it is, either it's a character we haven't met yet, or it's someone we know but for some reason their name is different.

Further to Recoil's post and my own... I found this on Wiki:

Hurley gets separated from his friends and finds Jacob's cabin. He looks in the window and sees Christian Shephard in a rocking chair, then someone (possibly Locke) steps right up to the glass. Hurley runs away, but moments later finds himself standing in front of the same cabin. He squeezes his eyes shut; when he opens them, the building is gone.

It's also VERY interesting that Hurley's first visitor shares a surname with a fallen angel from the book of Revelation (Abaddon - meaning Destroyer).

Last edited:
I don't watch Lost, but when my sister and I were on Oahu last month, the tour guides pointed out some of the places where they filmed much of the show. ;)

More name dropping (aside from the demonic angel named guy, Abaddon)

Charlotte Staples Lewis seems an obvious nod to C.S. Lewis - Clive Staples Lewis.

Faraday is probably named after the old £20 note scientist.

And I think it's a safe bet that Ben's "man on their boat" is Michael.

Galahad said:

That would be interesting, especially if Walt really truly is somehow in contact with Locke.

Charlotte Staples Lewis seems an obvious nod to C.S. Lewis - Clive Staples Lewis.

Me and my wife were gobsmacked that she was from Essex. In all our years of living there, we've never heard a fellow Essex person with a plummy accent like that :p

Faraday is probably named after the old £20 note scientist.

Who did some major work on electromagnetism, which ties in with his comments on the fact that light diffracted on the island differently.

Oooooo, I hadn't thought of that, but that would tie in well.

Me and my wife were gobsmacked that she was from Essex. In all our years of living there, we've never heard a fellow Essex person with a plummy accent like that :p

Maybe the fact that she studied with the Brummies in Bromsgrove muddled her accent :p... then she studied at Cambridge. I didn't find it as surprising as discovering that the Arlons in BSG were from Yorkshire - ee by gum!;)

Who did some major work on electromagnetism, which ties in with his comments on the fact that light diffracted on the island differently.
Yes, I wasn't suggesting it was the fact he was on a £20 (or maybe it was the £50), that was the reason for his naming. They don't put just anyone on do they? Otherwise my mug would be all over them by now:devil:

The £10 is up for renewal soon... I think it is high time Wilberforce had a turn! I'm not fond of the current £5.

You know I had a feeling when he was referring to his bosses or whatever, that he was working for Ben somehow. Either way, I think it was a neat twist, and it will be neater to see WHY he is working for Ben down the road.

I knew it was Ben when he started talking, before they showed his face, even though they lowered the voice a bit.

Whatever it turns out Ben's whole deal is, I'm convinced he either is or thinks he's some great visionary hero who has to sacrifice so much to save the world or something. He has a bit of messianic complex thing going for him.

The actor who plays Ben was on the Opie & Anthony radio show. He talked about how fans treat him with trepidation and how the shortened season won't compromise the major plot points (just might have to delay some things until next season).

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back