• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Telepath War

I was wondering just how much JMS had written about the Telepath War? From what I gather, JMS had already written a script about it. He already said that Lyta and Lennier died in the Telepath War so he must have had a fairly complete script written. Are my assumptions correct?

Not necessarily a script. JMS has said that he's mapped out the B5 timeline about a thousand years into the past and the future so I'm sure he knows the highlights but may not have actually written a full script. The Lyta/Lennier death was actually part of a Crusade episode "The Path of Sorrows") but because Patricia Tallman wasn't available, the script was changed.

Jan

There were lots of little details in the last Psi Corps Trilogy book, but they weren't all that revealing. Bester was put on trial as the most notorious war criminal of the conflict. Psi Corps operated a series of concentration camps, which shocked Humanity when they were revealed. Psi Corps was dissolved and replaced by the Bureau of Telepath Integration, which was like Psi Corps Lite. It was basically the same, and eventually evolved its own enforcement units, which were again known as Psi Cops. Bester, while living as a fugitive, recalls a trap Lyta had set for him on Mars, which he walked into, lost most of his team, and escaped somehow.

One of the B5 Script books had a rough treatment for a Telepath War movie, I forget the name. It was only a few pages, and kind of a tease because it contained the set-up of the story, and then it stopped. The set-up was that Lyta's resistance had increased operations against Psi Corps, mainly using terrorism, assassinations, abductions and other tactics which appalled Sheridan and everyone else paying attention. There's a quick line about mysterious attacks in deep space which involve alien forces, which are connected with the conflict. It all appeared to be spinning out of control, and Sheridan stayed on the sidelines as long as he could manage before being drawn in to try to calm things down. So he arranged a peace conference aboard Babylon 5. Both sides were ready for it, had secret forces in position and intended to use the occasion to ambush one another, bringing the war to Babylon 5.

There are some hints in the trilogy about a Psi Corps coup attempt against EarthGov, and various sources on the 'net seem to have more detail about it. I'm not sure if was embellished by fans or not. I would still love to see the Telepath War story told in any medium. There is so much potential for an intimate, nasty conflict which drags in the Earth Alliance, the Narn, Centauri, ISA and possibly others. It's likely there are many unhappy alien telepaths around the galaxy, longing for freedom. They could be inspired to act against their own governments, which would then have to react, and perhaps coordinate with one another to control the crisis. As told in the trilogy, normals have a long-standing fear of telepaths, and have a history of committing mass murder against them for a variety of reasons, sometimes fear, sometimes superstition. Telepaths know this history and have armed themselves, organized for the inevitable resumption of violence. Clark's dictatorship allowed telepaths unprecedented power to screen normals in the EA security forces, and of course Psi Corps would want to use that opportunity to place sleeper agents for the rainiest of days, when they have to go to war with normals for control of Earth. Such a war would be a must-win proposition for Psi Corps, and they would need as many sleepers as they could put in place. The shock of all these agents being activated inside EarthForce and elsewhere would be terrifying, they would inflict great damage in any number of areas, and the difficulty of getting the Corps back under control would be tremendous.

It would be a chaotic and bloody affair, and a lot of it would be waged on Earth and Earth's colonies, allowing us to see places we hadn't seen much of before, to really explore Earth Alliance territory. It would be quite different from the other wars we have seen in the B5 universe, or anywhere else in fiction. But if filmed, I don't think it could be properly fit into a single movie. It would need a miniseries, maybe between 6 and 12 hours to do it right. It could also work as a comic series, now that JMS has got that down to a science, and is reviving his Joe's Comics line.

Raw Shark

"Avoid self-righteousness like the Devil; nothing is as self-blinding."
Sir B.H. Liddell Hart

There were lots of little details in the last Psi Corps Trilogy book, but they weren't all that revealing. Bester was put on trial as the most notorious war criminal of the conflict. Psi Corps operated a series of concentration camps, which shocked Humanity when they were revealed. Psi Corps was dissolved and replaced by the Bureau of Telepath Integration, which was like Psi Corps Lite. It was basically the same, and eventually evolved its own enforcement units, which were again known as Psi Cops. Bester, while living as a fugitive, recalls a trap Lyta had set for him on Mars, which he walked into, lost most of his team, and escaped somehow.

One of the B5 Script books had a rough treatment for a Telepath War movie, I forget the name. It was only a few pages, and kind of a tease because it contained the set-up of the story, and then it stopped. The set-up was that Lyta's resistance had increased operations against Psi Corps, mainly using terrorism, assassinations, abductions and other tactics which appalled Sheridan and everyone else paying attention. There's a quick line about mysterious attacks in deep space which involve alien forces, which are connected with the conflict. It all appeared to be spinning out of control, and Sheridan stayed on the sidelines as long as he could manage before being drawn in to try to calm things down. So he arranged a peace conference aboard Babylon 5. Both sides were ready for it, had secret forces in position and intended to use the occasion to ambush one another, bringing the war to Babylon 5.

There are some hints in the trilogy about a Psi Corps coup attempt against EarthGov, and various sources on the 'net seem to have more detail about it. I'm not sure if was embellished by fans or not. I would still love to see the Telepath War story told in any medium. There is so much potential for an intimate, nasty conflict which drags in the Earth Alliance, the Narn, Centauri, ISA and possibly others. It's likely there are many unhappy alien telepaths around the galaxy, longing for freedom. They could be inspired to act against their own governments, which would then have to react, and perhaps coordinate with one another to control the crisis. As told in the trilogy, normals have a long-standing fear of telepaths, and have a history of committing mass murder against them for a variety of reasons, sometimes fear, sometimes superstition. Telepaths know this history and have armed themselves, organized for the inevitable resumption of violence. Clark's dictatorship allowed telepaths unprecedented power to screen normals in the EA security forces, and of course Psi Corps would want to use that opportunity to place sleeper agents for the rainiest of days, when they have to go to war with normals for control of Earth. Such a war would be a must-win proposition for Psi Corps, and they would need as many sleepers as they could put in place. The shock of all these agents being activated inside EarthForce and elsewhere would be terrifying, they would inflict great damage in any number of areas, and the difficulty of getting the Corps back under control would be tremendous.

It would be a chaotic and bloody affair, and a lot of it would be waged on Earth and Earth's colonies, allowing us to see places we hadn't seen much of before, to really explore Earth Alliance territory. It would be quite different from the other wars we have seen in the B5 universe, or anywhere else in fiction. But if filmed, I don't think it could be properly fit into a single movie. It would need a miniseries, maybe between 6 and 12 hours to do it right.

Sounds tailor made for a science fiction channel, if only such a channel existed.

Ha ha, yes, a 'sci fi' channel would be something to see!

Raw Shark

"And then there are these other currents, which..."
"Vir! Yes or no?!?"

The script sounds great and probably should have been one of the TV movies made. IMO except for In The Beginning the movies were a disappointment. In know the books covered some of the arc but I like to see things resolved on screen. Also RIP Commander Sinclair and Emperor Turhan :(

The script sounds great and probably should have been one of the TV movies made. IMO except for In The Beginning the movies were a disappointment. In know the books covered some of the arc but I like to see things resolved on screen.

The Telepath War is too big for a TV movie. Only a miniseries would do, preferrably 10 to 20 hours.

As far as I'm concerned, the only truly disappointing B5 TV movie was the Rangers pilot.

The script sounds great and probably should have been one of the TV movies made. IMO except for In The Beginning the movies were a disappointment. In know the books covered some of the arc but I like to see things resolved on screen.

The Telepath War is too big for a TV movie. Only a miniseries would do, preferrably 10 to 20 hours.

As far as I'm concerned, the only truly disappointing B5 TV movie was the Rangers pilot.
By disappointing I didn't mean that the movies were bad. As stories they were fine however apart from In The Beginning the movies didn't really add to or expand the story arc which for me was the best of the series. At the time I was expecting many of the story lines not resolved in the series to be wrapped up in the movies. I liked A Call To Arms to start with but as it lead into a series that was never completed I find it hard to rewatch. Also the Drakh make only a token appearance despite being central to the story. I have only read the Psi Corps trilogy of books and don't rate books as 'canon' anyway but I would like to have seen: 1) the fate of Centauri Prime under the Drakh 2) The coming conflict between the free telepaths and Psi Corps especially in relation to Bester and Lyta 3) G'Kar's journey 4) The fate of David Sheridan (in relation to the Keeper)

You are welcome to disregard the Books as Canon, but, the Three Trilogies, along with To Dream in the City of Sorrows and The Shadow Within have JMS' stamp of Approval as being Canon

G'Kar and Lyta's Journeys, I don't think was ever even considered to be filmed, we are supposed to believe they saw the most wonderful amazing Unique things. Nothing he could put on film would be able to do the story justice, IMHO (And of course Andreas is no longer with us).

The Fate of Centauri Prime under the Drahk, is amazingly told in the Centauri Prime Trilogy, and yea, it could be an amazing Trilogy of Movies or MiniSeries, IMHO

By disappointing I didn't mean that the movies were bad. As stories they were fine however apart from In The Beginning the movies didn't really add to or expand the story arc which for me was the best of the series. At the time I was expecting many of the story lines not resolved in the series to be wrapped up in the movies. I liked A Call To Arms to start with but as it lead into a series that was never completed I find it hard to rewatch. Also the Drakh make only a token appearance despite being central to the story. I have only read the Psi Corps trilogy of books and don't rate books as 'canon' anyway

Well, you SHOULD rate "The Shadow Within" (Dell #7, reprinted by Del Rey), "To Dream in the City of Sorrows" (Dell #9, reprinted by Del Rey), and the three Del Rey trilogies (Psi Corps, Centauri and Technomage) as canon, because JMS does, and IMHO because that's likely the last we'll EVER get of those stories because of tightpockets, faithless Warner Brothers. Even if they weren't tight and faithless, Legions of Fire cannot be filmed now because G'Kar (Andreas Katsulas, d. Feb. 13, 2006) figured HEAVILY in it AND JMS said the role will not be recast (Nor should it be.). See, Warner Brothers waited long enough and now it can't be made. The Technomage trilogy could've been filmed except that now, Alwyn (Edward Woodward died Nov. 16, 2009) was a key player in it. Unless that role is recast (~~possible~~ because Alwyn was a bit younger then.), it can't be made, either.

....but I would like to have seen: 1) the fate of Centauri Prime under the Drakh

Read Legions of Fire. That goes into it, bigtime, and it's the best you're going to get.

2) The coming conflict between the free telepaths and Psi Corps especially in relation to Bester

[blue streak of swear words] Warners is probably waiting for Walter to keel over. :rolleyes: :mad: :brickwall:

and Lyta 3) G'Kar's journey

Well, we OBVIOUSLY can't have that in screen form because of Andreas dying. We get a little bit of it in the short story "Genius Loci" and again, that's all you're going to get.

4) The fate of David Sheridan (in relation to the Keeper)

Again, THAT'S in Legions of Fire, and it contains one of the best Garibaldi lines EVER!

See http://www.b5tv.com/showthread.php?t=11723

Last edited:
KoshN, regarding G'Kar in the Centauri Prime Trilogy - It's been a long time since I've read it. Is G'Kar necessary, or could he be worked around using other characters, and only using the existing footage of the later scenes from the Series Flash Forwards?

Not, that I believe Warners would pony up the cash, and I don't even know if it would be a problem using existing footage for the Climax between Londo and G'Kar, just wondering if G'Kar in other parts of the Trilogy is absolutely necessary, or if it could be worked around?

I know they won't be filmed I just would have liked them to be!!! So much better than reading a book!! Might try and track down Legion of Fire trilogy just the same...

KoshN, regarding G'Kar in the Centauri Prime Trilogy - It's been a long time since I've read it. Is G'Kar necessary, or could he be worked around using other characters, and only using the existing footage of the later scenes from the Series Flash Forwards?

Not, that I believe Warners would pony up the cash, and I don't even know if it would be a problem using existing footage for the Climax between Londo and G'Kar, just wondering if G'Kar in other parts of the Trilogy is absolutely necessary, or if it could be worked around?

I'd have to re-read it because, according to what I noted in Out of the Darkness, I finished the Legions of Trilogy ELEVEN years ago, but I remember G'Kar as having key parts in the story, and not just at the end. The parts they couldn't get from old footage would feel like a cheat if they were missing or covered with voiceovers. Maybe it could be done. I dunno. Londo, Vir, Galen, Garibaldi, Sheridan, and some of Londo's wives have key parts. Hopefully, all of those actors would be available. I don't think Lois Nettleton (one of Londo's wives, d. Jan. 18, 2008.) had much of a part in Legions of Fire.

If the B5 books were available on Kindle, it'd be easy to just do a word search on "G'Kar" to see where he showed up, but noooooooooooom that'd be too easy. :rolleyes:

I know they won't be filmed I just would have liked them to be!!! So much better than reading a book!! Might try and track down Legion of Fire trilogy just the same...

Looks like Amazon has 'em. Maybe Del Rey reprinted 'em? No, Book III, Out of the Darkness it still pricey.

some of Londo's wives have key parts.
Mariel is the only wife that has a pivotal role in the story. Timov appears in one small scene. I don't think Daggair is even mentioned.

I remember Mariel having a pivotal role, but I thought Timov had more than just one small scene, and IIRC, Daggair had just one small scene. I'd LOVE to see Londo and Timov again.

some of Londo's wives have key parts.
Mariel is the only wife that has a pivotal role in the story. Timov appears in one small scene. I don't think Daggair is even mentioned.

I remember Mariel having a pivotal role, but I thought Timov had more than just one small scene, and IIRC, Daggair had just one small scene. I'd LOVE to see Londo and Timov again.
Yea, I seem to remember Timov having more than one scene as well.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back