• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Star Trek XI .. after all?

Chilli beat me to it... curses... ;)

From comingsoon.net via the mighty Millarworld...

http://forums.millarworld.tv/index.php?showtopic=59586

Paramount Pictures is breathing life into its "Star Trek" franchise by setting Mission: Impossible III helmer J.J. Abrams to produce and direct the 11th "Trek" feature, aiming for a 2008 release.

Variety says that Damon Lindelof and Bryan Burk, Abrams' producing team from Lost, also will produce the yet-to-be-titled feature.

The project, to be written by Abrams and "M:i:III" screenwriters Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci, will center on the early days of seminal "Trek" characters James T. Kirk and Mr. Spock, including their first meeting at Starfleet Academy and first outer space mission.

Created by Gene Roddenberry, "Star Trek" has been Hollywood's most durable performer other than James Bond, spawning 10 features that have grossed more than $1 billion and 726 TV episodes from six series.

Abrams also created Alias, which ABC is wrapping up in May.

This was originally supposed to be Trek IV? IIRC...

Its offical, its a good team and its got no Braga or Berman. As for the concept, i'd say it depends on actors, script and adherance to trek continuity. It also has to have a look somewhere between Enterprise and TOS. Difficult.

As for casting, i vote myself as Kirk. I can do all the pauses mid sentence and the posturing and everything...

Original variety article here...

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117941815?categoryid=10&cs=1&s=h&p=0

Getting anyone for Spock sounds like a challenge. Especially as they established what he looked like when young in Star Trek III .. finding an actor that somewhere fits in there, and manages to be Spock, doesn't sound easy .. Nimoy just owns the role way too much IMHO.

And yes, this is a very old idea, IIRC, Harve Bennett wrote a script for this idea, that was rejected at the time. 20 years later, they seem to have decided it's a good idea after all I guess .. or decided that it's better than any other ideas up on the horizon .. :confused:

First of all, it's too soon. I don't know if the Trek fans have gotten over being infurated with the last two series (and Enterprise in particular) to forgive, forget, and shell out 8 bucks a ticket.

But there is another thing that bugs me from the start. (This will probably guarantee it's success, though.) They will be relying on a lot of sentiment from fans on this one. So much so, I'd almost venture to call it a "fan fiction" story idea. Since those seem to be quite popular with most people other than me, it might be what makes this work, however, economically.

I just see it as further proof that "Hollywood" just isn't trying to come up with really new ideas anymore.

Well, as far as the too soon Hyp, keep in mind, it does suggest they are eyeing a 2008 release, and when they put Enterprise to bed in mid 2005 (And Nemesis was released in 2002), they said they were gonna let it rest for 3 years or so (at least), so a mid 2008 release does make 3 years.

I do happen to agree it should perhaps rest a bit longer, but, to me at least, it's not all that unexpected.

If getting interesting characters and stories back on screen anywhere can only be done through Star Trek, then I'll help them revive that dead cow, too, by the way. ;)

:p

Someone on another forum mentioned that Trek should always look to its future, fresh sci-fi ideas and less risk of messing up continuity.

I felt a lot of sympathy with that view. Hopefully, the next series will follow this idea. I've also noticed that the Star Trek online role playing is to be set 15-20 years after TNG, and that many of the writers and designers are onboard. That sounds a bit more promising.

http://www.startrek.perpetual.com/

And where all of this leave's JMS's dreams on continuation is a mystery...

I fear we missed the ball on that one. AT least I was under the impression that the hope was they could say to WB "look, you want the success of Trek? You have something that might work... B5".

But WB just isn't interested. In this day of entertainment "make a billion or be considered a failure" market, can you really blame them?

If they have a lick of sense they'll simply ignore 90% of the established "continuity" and use the new film to completely reboot the Trek universe a la Battlestar Galactica 2.0 or Batman Begins. Classic characters, classic bits of "the legend", whole new cast, look and stories. As long as what follows is internally consistent they can ignore everything that has gone before. It is the one approach to refreshing the show that they haven't seriously considered and the only one likely to work. Starting with the characters at the Academy (a bit odd given the different rates at which humans and Vulcans age; I'm guessing Spock is a teaching assistant and Kirk an underclassman) allows them to bring these characters forward in future years and could even set up a "remake" of the classic original series.

Just a thought. :)

Joe

A good thought, too. If they were to try Trek again as soon as 2008, I'd vastly prefer that approach.

But you assuming Spock would have applied to the academy as soon as he was "of age". Perhaps it was a decision he made later in his life. He was the first Vulcan in Star Fleet, wasn't he?

Spock as Kirk's TA has something to it, though. :LOL:

Oh, and didn't JMS say once he had an idea that could mend the continuity mess of Star Trek?

A good thought, too. If they were to try Trek again as soon as 2008, I'd vastly prefer that approach.

But you assuming Spock would have applied to the academy as soon as he was "of age". Perhaps it was a decision he made later in his life. He was the first Vulcan in Star Fleet, wasn't he?

Spock as Kirk's TA has something to it, though. :LOL:

Oh, and didn't JMS say once he had an idea that could mend the continuity mess of Star Trek?

He in fact wrote a treatment he wasn't paid for to prove it.

BTW, we must be getting kinda near a time period to start hearing about his new series of someone else's universe, no?

I don't keep track of that stuff anymore. It proved too disappointing. :LOL:

Now I just think "oh, something good might come in the future" and when I never hear anything, I think "good thing I didn't get worked up too much about that". ;)

No, but seriously I just wait to hear an announcement of a real project these days.

Yeah. Nadda of that front, although i assumed that was the marvel project he mentioned ages ago at some 'con. I'm guessing no news is bad news on all of JMS's projects. Maybe someone on the newsgroup could pester him? I can only imagine how much he loves that.... ;)

I'd love to read his Trek treatment though.

As for a BSG style reboot Joe, i'm personally not so sure, I think it would be a shame to let go of so much continuity, no matter how screwed it got. I just think the franchise deserves more respect (although we could drop 90% of Voyager easily).

Still, that may well be what this movie is!

I think the Dr Who model would be a good way to go (which was itself based upon TNG). Start in continutiy but with fresh characters, and set it far enough away from other series with fresh ideas, gradually re-introducing older characters and ideas that worked as time went on. You win over new audiences whilst remaining fans stay happy.

Looks like i may have to wait though...

I think it sounds awesome. Lost silliness aside, I would be interested to see what JJ does with it. Count me in.

.. without Berman involved .. guess that could mean it wouldn't suck completely. Not sure the concept sounds too thrilling though ..

*LONG WINDED SIGH*
Oh how quickly we forget the laws of Trek movies. Trek physics mandates that all odd numbered "Star Trek" movies are mediocre at best.

I say give Berman this last one, then let the good people from Lost have at it.

Trek physics mandates that all odd numbered "Star Trek" movies are mediocre at best.

Yes, but the same physics mandated that all even-numbered Trek films be at least decent, and often pretty darned good. This rule was shattered by Nemesis, which by all accounts (I didn't bother to see it) reached a level of suckage that rivalled Insurrection. Two consecutive suck-fests could indicate that the pattern is about to reverse itself, or even that it no longer applies. (Ensuring this would be justification enough for doing a reboot on the Trek universe all by itself. :))

Regards,

Joe

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back