B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

Old May 17th 07, 18:50   #21
GKarsEye
First One

Re: New vote for worst episode ever: Between the Darkness and the Light

Quote:
crumby? The word you're looking for is crummy
When these actresses share the screen with one of the better actors, they get chewed up and spit out, and are therefore crumby.

I rule.
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th 07, 12:29   #22
aajay
Ranger

My least favorite - which is what we are talking about in reality - is The Corps is Mother, The Corps is Father. Just couldn't get into it at all.
Also really disliked the entire Findall plotline of Meditations on the Abyss.
aajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th 07, 14:58   #23
Bester
First One

Can we also include the TV movies? Because for me it has GOT to be Legend of the Rangers. I've never before seen such a self indulgent, bloated, over-the-top mess.
Bester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th 07, 05:01   #24
Pinky Narfanek
Lurker

It's got to be Believers for me. I'm not quite sure what it is about the episode, but something just makes it very difficult to watch.

I can ignore (or at least distract myself) from stilted dialogue and "goofy" moments like the death of the Zarg because of what the rest of the episode brings. Even though I do find Ivanova's "sex scene" one of the most easily skippable scenes in the series, I like the rest of the episode. The punchline is fine, but the setup is almost torturous.

Comes the Inquisitor has got to be one my favorites though. It is both dark and powerful and I never got to see it for over a year after the show finished. I finally caught it at 5am one morning before work. Yes, I got up two hours early to watch it and I enjoyed it very much.

But, when it comes to Believers I just can't do it. Everything about the episode just moves my hand to the "skip" button on the remote.
Old May 19th 07, 16:16   #25
KoshN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky Narfanek View Post
It's got to be Believers for me. I'm not quite sure what it is about the episode, but something just makes it very difficult to watch.

I can ignore (or at least distract myself) from stilted dialogue and "goofy" moments like the death of the Zarg because of what the rest of the episode brings. Even though I do find Ivanova's "sex scene" one of the most easily skippable scenes in the series, I like the rest of the episode. The punchline is fine, but the setup is almost torturous.

Comes the Inquisitor has got to be one my favorites though. It is both dark and powerful and I never got to see it for over a year after the show finished. I finally caught it at 5am one morning before work. Yes, I got up two hours early to watch it and I enjoyed it very much.

But, when it comes to Believers I just can't do it. Everything about the episode just moves my hand to the "skip" button on the remote.
We're very much on the same wavelength, although the only things that move my hand to the FF button on the remote (FF1 or FF2), are Ivanova's "sex" dance for the Lumati (However, I also like the punchline.), and Sarah destroying the minefield in "To Live and Die in Starlight".
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."

Last edited by KoshN; May 19th 07 at 16:24. Reason: Some days, you just can't get it right, the first, second or third time. <sigh>
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th 07, 18:21   #26
Clark Kent
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Then assume that 'Dan Randall' was simply a name that sounded 'newsman-like' and isn't based on anybody at all. FWIW, the description of that character in the scipt is: "Slick, intense, and in his late 30s or early 40s. No suggestion of a resemblance to anybody. If they'd found a femal to play that part and named her Donna Randall (which was known to happen), would you have looked for the parallel then?

We see on B5 any number of people who just go along with the status quo and use the situation to further their own goals. Remember Mr. Wells, for instance? My impression of Randall was that he was just such a person, using the jailing of the ISN anchors to get an anchoring position he wouldn't have gotten so soon if not for Clark taking over.

Jan
And having worked in local TV news, I can attest to there being a dozen Dan Randell's willing to do whatever it takes to get that coveted anchor chair, including slanting their stories. So, the episodes of Babylon 5 that dealt with the news service I felt to be quite real.

Last edited by Clark Kent; May 19th 07 at 23:27. Reason: Fixed incomplete sentence
Clark Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th 07, 20:24   #27
A_M_Swallow
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
And having worked in local TV news, I can attest to there being a dozen Dan Randell's willing to do whatever it takes to get that coveted anchor chair, including slanting their stories. So, the episodes of Babylon 5 that dealt with the newsservice to be quite real.
Something for them to remember. If Sheridan wins they are in "You will never work in this town again", nor the town after that.
Old May 19th 07, 23:29   #28
Mike G

As I've said several times on these boards, the episode Secrets of the Soul is absolute torture for me, for reasons I've mentioned in the past, although on rewatching I think Infection might be worse.

As for Between the Darkness and the Light, I agree, really weak in parts. The thing is its such a crucial episode its easy to get caught up in it and ignore the lame bits.
Old May 20th 07, 01:24   #29
Jade Jaguar
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Then assume that 'Dan Randall' was simply a name that sounded 'newsman-like' and isn't based on anybody at all...

... If they'd found a femal to play that part and named her Donna Randall (which was known to happen), would you have looked for the parallel then?

Jan
I wouldn't have seen it as a parallel then, but I still wouldn't care for the ep. But, I certainly don't deny that the behavior depicted is believable.
Benjamin Franklin 1775

"I know that the hypnotized never lie... Do ya?"
Pete Townshend 1971

FREE LEONARD PELTIER
Jade Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st 07, 02:48   #30
GKarsEye
First One

Oh come on, can't you even appreciate how the propoganda team twisted their footage around to create something? The brilliance of that episode is that you think it shows its hand early: an obviously biased news crew does a story. You think you can expect how it will turn out. And then they drop that bomb about the fake inter-breeding program!

I think it's awesome.

I also love that, in the middle of these two wars, where Sheridan is being this powerful, amazing leader, we see him make such a big, obvious mistake- one based on him being too naive and good to imagine what this news crew can do.

One of my favorite themes of the show, and the reason I think that Sheridan is so great, is that we slowly see him lose his innocence. This is one of those key moments.
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote