B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

Old May 15th 07, 21:32   #11
CattCreature
Lurker

Re: New vote for worst episode ever: Between the Darkness and the Light

well out of that list specifically i would have to say Grey 17 is missing is my least favorite.

TKO i like. i love the beguinning when walker smith helps baldi biscuit man and he's like OMFG! XD. and the fact he wants to be the first human to do alien boxing the ending makes me smile too when the aliens are like "you will be a brother to us"

grail! omg! i love grail! simply cause it has Koshy in it eheheheh ^^;; the only thing i dont like about it is the old dude dies : (.

"people dont know what you look like under there, and well it makes them a little nervous"
"good"

i love the vorlons XD
CattCreature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th 07, 22:01   #12
RMcD
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
* I think that the execution of the episode itself is worthy of an "F." Poorly written dialogue, bad direction, and lots of tackiness and cringe scenes means BAD EXECUTION on what was DECENT CONTENT.
I think I agree with this actually, as far as BtDatL is concerned. Because it isn't really a standalone episode but a linking episode in the midst of a lot of epic ongoing arcs, it's easy to overlook the fact that when considered in isolation it is pretty poor. It's like isolating a five minute stretch of your favourite movie and discovering that it isn't up to standard.

But in general the ending of season 4 did feel rushed and a bit forced at times - I tend to forgive it because there was so much going on at the time that was cool and epic, but it did seem to lacking a little of the moment-by-moment quality and attention to detail of previous seasons, and not only in this episode.
RMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th 07, 01:39   #13
Jade Jaguar
First One

Wwell, I liked BtDatL quite a bit. I like TKO, Grail, much of Grey 17 Is Missing, and Byron eps. Intersections In Real Time, and Comes the Inquisitor can be hard to watch, but they are fine eps. I don't think there are any bad eps of B5, just a few mediocre ones, like Believers, and Infection. The one I like least is The Illusion of Truth. It is pretty much a one-trick pony, gives us little info, and I find it rather boring.
Benjamin Franklin 1775

"I know that the hypnotized never lie... Do ya?"
Pete Townshend 1971

FREE LEONARD PELTIER
Jade Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th 07, 02:11   #14
RW7427

Quote:
The one I like least is The Illusion of Truth.
I love the line about stripping Dan Randall naked and throwing him out of the airlock!
Old May 16th 07, 02:53   #15
GKarsEye
First One

Quote:
* I think the content / subject matter of the Episode is OK. I'd grade it a "B" I guess on it being core material to the story, some critical things happening, and some big battles.

* I think that the execution of the episode itself is worthy of an "F." Poorly written dialogue, bad direction, and lots of tackiness and cringe scenes means BAD EXECUTION on what was DECENT CONTENT.
So... that would average out to, what, a C-?

If you wanna put something like Grail at a D or F (which I do!) than your claim that this ep is the worst ever is false.

I rule.

IIRC, pretty much all of your criticisms are on Lyta and Ivanova moments. I would suggest that it is no coincidence that they both happen to be played by crumby actors. Yes, the dialogue is weak, but like you said, JMS' strength is not casual or humorous dialogue. Fancy speeches and such is his forte.

Sheridan got some outright crap to talk in his time, but the Bruce has got charisma and talent and presence, so he can twist it into something watchable.
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th 07, 03:14   #16
Jade Jaguar
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW7427 View Post
I love the line about stripping Dan Randall naked and throwing him out of the airlock!
Well that touches on something else I didn't like about TIoT. I don't want to get political in this forum, but "Dan Randall" seemed to me to refer to Dan Rather. I actually like Dan Rather, although I realize that many don't. But, most who don't like him think him to be liberal, and too outspoken with his own opinions. That seems to me to be the opposite of Dan Randall, who was an apologist for a right wing administration, which Dan Rather would no doubt have attacked. I don't dislike satire for being aimed at someone I like, but I do dislike it for being way off the mark.
Benjamin Franklin 1775

"I know that the hypnotized never lie... Do ya?"
Pete Townshend 1971

FREE LEONARD PELTIER
Jade Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th 07, 08:45   #17
KoshN

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKarsEye View Post
IIRC, pretty much all of your criticisms are on Lyta and Ivanova moments. I would suggest that it is no coincidence that they both happen to be played by crumby actors.
<raspberries, a.k.a. Bronx cheer>

crumby? The word you're looking for is crummy, NOT that I agree with you on the applicability of the word, here.

Granted we haven't seen either Claudia or Pat do much since B5 that was any good (e.g. Claudia in the "Highlander" episode "Two of Hearts" ), but I think Claudia and Pat were usually very good on "Babylon 5" (the TV show). I find Pat's line about suing somebody very believable and in-character for Lyta, not that she was actually going to DO that. After all, it was just an expression of distraction and frustration, which Lyta was feeling at the time. Hence, it was totally believable and in-character. Ditto for Claudia. These line were expressions of frustration and the general, pissed-off mood of the character at the time. Nothing wrong with that.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th 07, 11:22   #18
Jan
Psi Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade Jaguar View Post
Well that touches on something else I didn't like about TIoT. I don't want to get political in this forum, but "Dan Randall" seemed to me to refer to Dan Rather. I actually like Dan Rather, although I realize that many don't. But, most who don't like him think him to be liberal, and too outspoken with his own opinions. That seems to me to be the opposite of Dan Randall, who was an apologist for a right wing administration, which Dan Rather would no doubt have attacked. I don't dislike satire for being aimed at someone I like, but I do dislike it for being way off the mark.
Then assume that 'Dan Randall' was simply a name that sounded 'newsman-like' and isn't based on anybody at all. FWIW, the description of that character in the scipt is: "Slick, intense, and in his late 30s or early 40s. No suggestion of a resemblance to anybody. If they'd found a femal to play that part and named her Donna Randall (which was known to happen), would you have looked for the parallel then?

We see on B5 any number of people who just go along with the status quo and use the situation to further their own goals. Remember Mr. Wells, for instance? My impression of Randall was that he was just such a person, using the jailing of the ISN anchors to get an anchoring position he wouldn't have gotten so soon if not for Clark taking over.

Jan
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th 07, 12:06   #19
KoshN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Then assume that 'Dan Randall' was simply a name that sounded 'newsman-like' and isn't based on anybody at all. FWIW, the description of that character in the scipt is: "Slick, intense, and in his late 30s or early 40s. No suggestion of a resemblance to anybody. If they'd found a female to play that part and named her Donna Randall (which was known to happen), would you have looked for the parallel then?

We see on B5 any number of people who just go along with the status quo and use the situation to further their own goals. Remember Mr. Welles, for instance? My impression of Randall was that he was just such a person, using the jailing of the ISN anchors to get an anchoring position he wouldn't have gotten so soon if not for Clark taking over.

I do believe you have it surrounded, Jan.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th 07, 13:30   #20
Chilli
High Treason Prevention Officer

Send a message via ICQ to Chilli Send a message via MSN to Chilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshN View Post
but I think Claudia and Pat were usually very good on "Babylon 5" (the TV show)
I can't agree, especially on Pat. I've always *liked* her, so I haven't exactly been bothered by her, but there are so many crummy performances from her on B5. Her "mutant phase" in the Gathering. Her mental battles with the Shadows Ship in "Walkabout". Anything in "The Summoning" Or "Falling Towards Apotheosis". Her entire romance with Byron. Terrible, terrible, terrible stuff. Even on Star Trek TNG, she seemed hammy in "Power Play" .. and she didn't even have a single line of dialgue.

I do have a soft spot for her, though, and as such, none of the things Recoil mentioned here bothered me. It was just B5 status quo.

Though a lot of the other things he has mentioned are, indeed, pretty weak. But it still evens out at a C or so at worst, so it still can't compete with Grail.

It is a candidate for the most over-rated B5 episode ever, though.
Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote