• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Comic book movies all over the place

Sinclair

This has a lot of information on comics being made into movies in the next few years. I had no idea there were so many in the works.

Namor the Sub-Mariner (one of the oldest superheroes -- think a more cranky Aquaman).

"As sacred as 'Spider-Man' is, 'Watchmen' is even more sacred," says Weiland. "It's probably the one all comic fans want to see made, but it's also the one we dread the most. If they screw that one up, big trouble."

Things are getting crazy. Not that I should be considered the norm, but I have NEVER heard of a LOT of those comic characters (the two above, and many others in the articles). Just about everyone knows about Batman, Spiderman, Superman, hell even the XMen, but just how well will all these obscure ones really do? Not well I'm thinking...

I've actually heard of Namor, and if I'm not mistaken, he was the very first Marvel comic book character ever. I can't even begin to guess at what 'Watchmen' is.

The Watchmen is a great graphic novel and I think even people who generally dont like comics would enjoy it. It is very adult themed.

As much as I love comic books, I think they need to back off on the comic book movies. It was cool when it was maybe one every few years but now its just getting ridiculous. Movie companies are buying up rights to various titles to get onto the superhero band wagon. If they keep this up it might go the way of Trek where the fans start to get disappointed and lose interest.

Please tell me I wasn't the only one laughing at calling the Wachowzki brothers' script for some upcoming comic movie "imbecilic." What in the fuck-all did they expect? Did they not see the Matrixes? :LOL:

Charlize Theron as Aeon Flux has ultra-sexified potential.

Please tell me I wasn't the only one laughing at calling the Wachowzki brothers' script for some upcoming comic movie "imbecilic." What in the fuck-all did they expect? Did they not see the Matrixes? :LOL:

See, I thought the original Matrix was a great movie and a great script. I thought the second one wasn't as good as the first, but was deep with the overall story and mythology. The third one was just an action movie to end it. But am I one of the few people who still think the original Matrix movie was something of beauty? Yes, on the surface it seemed like a B-movie plot, but there is just something about it that made it magic to me...

See, I thought the original Matrix was a great movie and a great script. I thought the second one wasn't as good as the first, but was deep with the overall story and mythology. The third one was just an action movie to end it. But am I one of the few people who still think the original Matrix movie was something of beauty? Yes, on the surface it seemed like a B-movie plot, but there is just something about it that made it magic to me...

A lot of critics (and I agree with them on this), feel that the Matrix sequels would have been better if they had been made into one movie. Either way I don't think they stand up to the original.

I loved the original Matrix movie. When sitting in the movie theatre watching the second one .. couldn't really think anything but "what the fuck?"

I didn't bother to go and see the third one. Had planned to get to see it by some other means .. couldn't be bothered till now though. Maybe some other year :D

One thing I'd say about the Matrix trilogy; try watching all three back to back. I thought the sequels were "meh" before but having watched them all right through, I actually really like them now.

The original is still the best, but the sequels have lots of things going for them too; there are actually some pretty complex and interestign questions being posed (behind the "woah!" facade ;) ).

Also, you notice little things, like in the first matrix movie, when Neo's first being questioned by the Agents, the camera starts on a bank of monitors, then zooms "through" the monitor into the room. The bank of monitors is actually the wall of the Architect's office, which I thought was pretty cool.

My biggest problem with the trilogy was the structure of the ending; it completely resolved the Zion attack, then resolved the Neo fight. I'd have had Smith in control of the Machine army, so that there was more urgency to Neo's battle, but that's just me. :)

Watchman was Moore, Sandman was Gaiman

:)

Both are realitvely well knwon, at least in my geeky circles...

Both are responsible for the growth in 'adult' themed comics, alongside Frank Millers Dark Knight returns and Maus by Speiglmans Maus. They really kickstarted the whole graphic novel thing and got western comics legitimised as a serious medium. Now Hollywood can't seem to get enough.

I personally hope that neither ever make into movie form, as they are perfect examples of the graphic novel genre and could never be done justice with a conventional movie. Watchman alone has 4-5 narrative threads that tie into each other with only board thematic references.

The first Matrix was a great visually- fun to watch and introduced a newer, fresh style for action flicks into mainstream Hollywood flicks.

But the dialogue is painful.

The sequels also have cool action but it's not new anymore, and the dialogue's painful is doubled.

The premise and "philosophy" reads like the result of a college freshmen forced to read Plato's Republic in Philosophy 101 but likes to read the Invisibles instead of going out. Lame..Ass..Shit.

Of course comic book movies are gonna be overdone. The last type of film to suffer this was the Big Ancient Epic, sparked by the DeMille like grandeur of Gladiator and culminating in Alexander. No one wants to see another sandal or sword for a good long time. And soon no one will want to see another guy-implausibly-acquires-superpowers movie.

This is the one they better get right, or Hair will be most displeased...

IronMan.jpg

So, if they screw up Iron Man, you'll go stark raving mad? :LOL:

My favorites are Silver Surfer, and Dr. Strange. After seeing Batman Begins, I sure would like Chris Nolan to direct Dr. Strange! :cool:

I like Prince Namor too, and would go to see the film. Wonder if they'll go all out in the production, as was done in Waterworld? :LOL:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back